Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

A real problem with SPEC clutches.

Old 05-16-2006, 07:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default A real problem with SPEC clutches.

Some of you may or may not know about my recent clutch issue/problem. I had a 2000 FRC vette, with various mods,...one of those mods was a SPEC III clutch setup. The pressure plate, ended up coming apart, pretty much causing me to have a total loss with my car. I removed the debree, and the broken car, has been turned over to the insurance. I was gonna send out my clutch to SPEC so they can look at it,...and reach some kind of agreement with me. It wasn't right what happened to my car.

I didn't send it back to them yet....

...Now we have a new problem. One of my buddies cars, a C6 vette, 476rwhp and a SPEC 5 setup that was installed at a GM facility, now has the exact same problem.

His pressure plate came apart, and the damage to his brand new vette, is as catastrophic as mine was. Windsheild/hood/headers/xpipe/harness(s)/hydraulic lines/fuel lines/wiper assembly etc etc are all damaged. The car actually caught a small fire, which they were able to put out with ditch water.

I need to know who else has had this problem, please.

If you don't want to post HERE about it fine, just PM me,....and we'll be in touch.

Where talking between the two cars, over 40K in damages.

Thanks for your help,...in the meantime, I'd highly recommend you guys that enjoy having legs, remove your spec products.

J
Old 05-16-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, that sucks. Sorry to hears about your troubles. I hope someone fixes these problems.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

I have a spec II on my LT1. The thing is the biggest piece of crap of a clutch. I cannot stress how unhappy I am with it. I will never recommend any of their clutches to anyone, and I will never have one on any of my cars again even if it given to me for free.

The thing chatters like a crazy ****. It is well beyond the break in period, after which I was told it would go away. It is unbearable and makes the car very unpleasant to cruise in.

I know my issue is different than the one you are having, but I will bitch about their clutches every chance I get.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by scrmnws6
I have a spec II on my LT1. The thing is the biggest piece of crap of a clutch. I cannot stress how unhappy I am with it. I will never recommend any of their clutches to anyone, and I will never have one on any of my cars again even if it given to me for free.

The thing chatters like a crazy ****. It is well beyond the break in period, after which I was told it would go away. It is unbearable and makes the car very unpleasant to cruise in.

I know my issue is different than the one you are having, but I will bitch about their clutches every chance I get.

atleast yours didn't blow apart.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:45 PM

That sucks! I was about to buy a Spec 3 and sell my brand new Ram HD. I guess no clutch is good
Old 05-16-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scrmnws6

Same here, plus mine was vibrating like crazy (not balanced!).
The technical guy at Spec told me he knew they sold me a POS but his boss (the owner?) told him to tell me it was an installation issue.
Yeah: chatter + vibration = installation issue
Being in Europe it's really easy to **** with me sending crap because it's impossible to get the money back or a replacement. This of taking advantage of my situation is not only bad for Spec's image over here, but also creates negative rumors about all US parts shops.

Stefano - Switzerland
Old 05-16-2006, 06:12 PM
Launching!

aww dude, i gotta spec stage III in mine, im about to intall a new engine and add more boost... now im worried about havin this problem with it blowin up. shiiiiit.
i was runnin it before, and was satisfied with it at almost 500 rwhp.
maybe a new bell housing is definetly in order at least huh? any one know of a good one? i havent seen much of those availible, but then again i wasnt lookin til now.....
Old 05-16-2006, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

i had a spec stage III and it to chattered like crazy, broke it in took it to the track one time, fell apart i was f_____ pissed. called spec. no answer for a couple of days then called the supplier they told me " it happens" so that means $ 500.00 down the tube. i was told the new stage 3 + is much better, so i took another chance, it came ballanced and much stronger, installed it and got no (f_______ chatter) was i suprised. went to the track and it held. i cant nock them yet but every one i know have had different oppinons. good luck with your issue...
Old 05-16-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Is this a new problem or an ongoing one?
Old 05-16-2006, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

My SPEC 3 is the biggest POS as well. from the get go, it wasn't balanced when they sent me a "matched set clutch/flywheel" after a few hundred miles, i ripped it back out (damn near vibrated my dash off!!!)
sent it back for "warranty" another joke there. (i measured it with a dial indicator and the flywheel wasn't even machined FLAT!!) only half the clutch was hitting the flywheel. they blamed it on me using too much locktite on the clutch bolts...and then they never BALANCED it after i sent it back, and they just took a DA to the flywheel and said it was "re-surfaced" what a JOKE spec clutches are! mine hasn't blown apart, but it will be coming out this winter!
Old 05-16-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Regular

My 2+ is coming out this week after 500 miles... bad chatter and doesn't fully release, new hydraulics, shim.. Long break in period is bs to blow off customers
Old 05-17-2006, 06:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Does anyone else know about this "class action lawsuit"?.... i've been searching for it,...haven't found it.....

Thanks fella's.

Any of you suffering from vibration issues,....i'd highly recommend you be easy when changeing gears,...cause you never know, once that things starts vibrateing worse, it may be trying to come apart.

Be careful,....cause we never got any sort of warning.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Post this in the sponsors feedback forum. maybe it will get the attention of SPEC
Old 05-17-2006, 10:03 AM
11 Second Club

I'm running a spec 2 hybrid and have had a couple of concerns but its not been bad too me--some slipping when new, but hasn't happend in a while so my only other concern has been longevity. i hate hearing about something as serious as this and i'm wondering if this is a concern with only high horsepower cars?? i prolly won't go with another one after this, cuz i don't beleive any other brand clutch has any issues as serious as this.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:20 PM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

Thats why I am glad I was told not to buy a SPEC. I got the Textrillia instead!!
Old 05-17-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

my pressure plate became defective at only 850 miles. setup was properly broken into at 500 miles. first time i took it to the track, i couldnt get into any gear without grinding. good customer service, shitty product. What good does it do to have good customer service then?
Old 05-17-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Order 66
Is this a new problem or an ongoing one?
On going
Old 05-17-2006, 09:24 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

wow, i almost ordered a spec stage 3, now i dont know what to order because i hear bad things about every damn clutch there is
Old 05-17-2006, 10:38 PM
TECH Junkie

I wouldnt have a spec stage 3...It has the pucks which are absolute crap in my opinion. The spec 3 + on the other hand is a solid disk and absolutely wonderful clutch. REMEMBER ANY CLUTCH can and will disintegrate occasionally. Especially with the kind of power our cars make. I think alot of it has to do with a clutch that is not balanced or chatters excessively...
Old 05-17-2006, 10:56 PM
12 Second Club

Spec blows... chattered like hell and lasted 11k. But like said, at least it didn't blow up. RAM Powergrip threw a spring in less than a year. They said they have never heard of it happening but another had the same problem a week later. Don't buy either of them. I got a Textralia and so far its the only clutch with no chatter and all this time I thought my shifter sucked because of the rattle but since the Textralia, even the rattle went away.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A real problem with SPEC clutches.