Single Digit Club Running 9s or quicker? Damn!

Finally 9's

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Finally 9's

Still in the tuning stages - my tuning not the cars. Last weekend track was crap. Today, outstanding traction. The print on the time slip is so light I doubt it show, but I'll post it and the video later.

1st pass out of the trailer - 10.07 at 143mph (lost the slip some where)
2nd pass: tried off transbrake at 2500rpm launch: 1.631 60'; 1/8 6.233 at 118.287; 1/4 9.581 at 146.458
3rd pass: stepped up launch to 3500rpm: 1.561; 6.243 at 115.820; 9.650 at 144.616 (heard a "clunk" at release of t-b, got out of it and than back into it - turned out just to be limiters, next time I'll know what lifting the front end with limiter sounds like )

All was done on wastegates only (8lbs). Mostly 90-100% throttle. A/F was 11.68-11.8. Plugs looked dead on. Still have 10lbs of boost and 400rwhp in the bag

Very nice day. The SS was dead straight all day. Not a wiggle.

The track Tech guy said the next pass had better be a licensing run. We're not ready for that - the chasis needs certifing first.

David
Old 06-11-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats David. And to think, that's only half the power or so of what you got under there.

I'm sure I'll be updating your title to another digit soon.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks Eric. Been a lot time coming. We are going to be taking it slow. The old man here is still learning the true power of the turbo.

David
Old 06-11-2006, 11:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Here's the video link - notice how smooth and almost lazy the SS leaves, couldn't believe it ran a 9.58

http://sio.midco.net/davidb/june11958.wmv
Old 06-12-2006, 01:31 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Nice run, better 60' times will really make a difference in your ET. What transmission are you running? getting the boost up on a trans break would really help those time also.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Scott@DrivelineSolutions
Nice run, better 60' times will really make a difference in your ET. What transmission are you running? getting the boost up on a trans break would really help those time also.
Thanks

I'm still in baby step mode. Next time at the track, we will be setting up the 2-step to help build boost. The combination of the 2-step and t-b will help build up boost. I'm running a TransKing Th-400, will all the goodies, rev-manual, etc.

David
Old 06-12-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Way to go man you must be excited with all that power left Good luck getting it lined out
Old 06-17-2006, 10:11 AM
Teching In

I was surfing the web and this caught my eye.

I just wanted to say, I've been in the import scene for a couple of years but am a Chevy guy at heart. One day I'll be back when I can afford to have a car is strictly a RWD race style car...not nearly like this one.

Best of luck to you and the venture, Im adding this link to my favorites so I can keep track of the progress.

Considering how well that motor is built for turbo use, I would imagine the engine can handle quite a bit and more than twice that boost pressure.

Are the turbo's ball bearing turbos? Having been heavily into researching turbos for years now, the GT35R by garrett has so many variants that if you were ever looking for just that much more power, a BB catridge with large a/f ratios on the hotside and cold side for the big motor would allow for a max of 2k horsepower...just guessing at that....

Just the same, stall that tranny up and spray down a 50 shot of nitrous in to the motor and you'll see a dramatic amount of spool up off the line and wheel stand the hell out of it.

Seeing some of the turbo nitromethane 4 cylinders in the import community, I notice some are going extreme by plumning large nitrous ports DIRECTLY into the hotside of the turbos....if you ever get a chance to see the results in person, basically it is instant spool an d violence.

I know Im new here, but I just enjoy sharing my fanatical ideas that pop up in my head.

Im sure your car has well into the 8's as far as potential goes.
Good luck!
Old 06-18-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Feldguy
Best of luck to you and the venture, Im adding this link to my favorites so I can keep track of the progress.

Considering how well that motor is built for turbo use, I would imagine the engine can handle quite a bit and more than twice that boost pressure.

Are the turbo's ball bearing turbos?

Just the same, stall that tranny up and spray down a 50 shot of nitrous in to the motor and you'll see a dramatic amount of spool up off the line and wheel stand the hell out of it.

Seeing some of the turbo nitromethane 4 cylinders in the import community, I notice some are going extreme by plumning large nitrous ports DIRECTLY into the hotside of the turbos....if you ever get a chance to see the results in person, basically it is instant spool an d violence.

I know Im new here, but I just enjoy sharing my fanatical ideas that pop up in my head.

Im sure your car has well into the 8's as far as potential goes.
Good luck!

Here's actually a little better trend. I usually post my results and build in our Force Induction Section.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/523659-got-kicked-off-track-today-9-581-146-458mph-8lbs-boost.html

So much as spooling the turbos: Mine will fully spool at about 4000 rpm's. I can do that on the trans-brake. Don't need nitrous to help. Don't need nitrous to cool it either, as I run a very effective air-to-ice set up.

The shop has numerous turbo imports. The biggest problem the imports have is being able to get the power to the ground and than keeping the tranny together. These are normally low budget cars that make great power. For one case is my son's little 93 MR2. Last year he runs a 10.90 at 130 on only 22lbs of boost (at that time the 6th fast MR2). Clutch, intercooler and cam's were big draw backs. Well we solved 2 of the 3 problems. He now has a kick *** set of cams and a new A2W incooler. Last part is the clutch. To get one to hold the power will cost over $2000. Our shop CRX is putting over 650hp on 25lbs of boost. Can't get it to hook the entire length of the track, and the tranny continues to get him problems. Both cars are capable of well over 30lbs of boost.

I appreciate your comments. We are hoping to have the SS back to the track by the 1st of July. Need to get the cage completed and get it certified. And than my licensing passes.

You are correct that we can do twice the boost. Actually we have a complete AEM system, that is tuned to get 17-20lbs of boost out of the car. We'll be doing 1,000rwhp. That is max for my drive train - not for the turbos.

Have a good day.

David
Old 06-18-2006, 12:41 PM
9 Second Club

Absolutely sick.... My engine builder and I tossed around the idea when i started my build of doing a 434 inch small block based on a Dart Block with all the best internals and a big single turbo..... I decided not to based on money and stuck with doing a big nitrous LT1...... But seeing these videos makes me drool over not doing the turbo thing..... Oh well gives me something to do in the future I suppose...

But that thing is SICK. Good luck on driving it with an additional 400hp... you're gonna be busy keeping it off the wall.....
Old 06-18-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
Absolutely sick.... My engine builder and I tossed around the idea when i started my build of doing a 434 inch small block based on a Dart Block with all the best internals and a big single turbo..... I decided not to based on money and stuck with doing a big nitrous LT1...... But seeing these videos makes me drool over not doing the turbo thing..... Oh well gives me something to do in the future I suppose...

But that thing is SICK. Good luck on driving it with an additional 400hp... you're gonna be busy keeping it off the wall.....
Thanks. You're going to have your hands full also.

Ran nitrous for 4 years. Never had the guts to run a 400 shot.

David
Old 06-18-2006, 06:53 PM
9 Second Club

yeah i'm starting to look into the option of the progressive controller.... I'm going to see if she'll handle the 300/100 division over the 2 stages..... But I'm sure the initial 300 hit is going to be uhhhhh.... interesting....

Seeing how docile yours was on 8 lbs hell it might drive straight as an arrow under the full 19.....

But then again I bore witness to wormboy's 8.0 passes in person in San Antonio a few weeks back. I think he's running closer to 19.... And those runs looked anything but boring..... his runs looked more likely to tighten up the ole FSS (Fart-****-Seperator)...
Old 06-19-2006, 05:13 PM
Teching In

congrats
Old 06-19-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
yeah i'm starting to look into the option of the progressive controller.... I'm going to see if she'll handle the 300/100 division over the 2 stages..... But I'm sure the initial 300 hit is going to be uhhhhh.... interesting....

Seeing how docile yours was on 8 lbs hell it might drive straight as an arrow under the full 19.....

But then again I bore witness to wormboy's 8.0 passes in person in San Antonio a few weeks back. I think he's running closer to 19.... And those runs looked anything but boring..... his runs looked more likely to tighten up the ole FSS (Fart-****-Seperator)...

Should be interesting at 17lbs. **** I can't wait until my tuner is confident enough in me to put a boost controller on the SS

I'm hoping the suspension is ready for more power. We'll see.

Good luck on your build. Wormboy is so far ahead of the rest of us it is sick. To bad about him putting it into the wall

David
Old 07-18-2006, 12:22 PM
11 Second Club

I was still turbo'd first Dave. lol but you got me by of 5 seconds now lol. I want to see more passes yet this year, and none near the railing like ya did last time.

BTW this is Justin, green one....lol
Old 07-18-2006, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

My engine guy built a BBC for a 70 Nova. 3 stages of Nitrous, 100-300-300. Ran a 8.28 on a 275 M/T Radial before the FAST computer f*cked the timing. Meltdown. Motor made 950 N/A.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:00 AM
Launching!

awesome car
Old 07-19-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Older trend, but still . Good luck on everyone else's build. Mine still is in initial stages. Finally got my license and the 10-point in. Have been going to a few car shows for my sponsor. Another one this weekend. We'll get to the track next Saturday, if things go right, and than another show next Sunday. Oh well. The SS is running great. Now if the weather would give us a brake - not fun running with air temp at 100, and track at 140+.

David
Old 07-19-2006, 09:53 PM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck David.

Coach
Old 08-05-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

i just wathced the vid of Eric in the Sky View launch,,,,you guys are freakin crazy!

Awesome rides to you all!

Quick Reply: Finally 9's