Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Squeak after rotor swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeak after rotor swap

So i took off my old rotors and put some drilled/slotted ones on. With it i also put on some hawk racing pads. I was driving it and it squeaked a little at first (like it does after the car gets washed and the rotors get wet) but after driving it, it went away. However, there is still a squeak coming from the rear, both rotors. All the guys at the shop say they havent heard it before.

It sounds like when somethin needs to be greased, like rubber on rubber loud squeak. If this has happend to anyone else please let me no. We study the calipers and pads when i push down and everything works fine. Im only concerned cuz i drove it for a little and beat on it and it didnt go away. Im gonna assume its the pads that just need to be broken in.

If you got any opinions, please

Thanks
Old 07-17-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Could be a couple things. In most cases, squeaks are:
  1. Bad/missing chatter plates (the little metal plates that go between the caliper bracket and the ends of the pads, plus the one that goes in the top of the caliper)
  2. Rotor worn too thin (probably not the case for you, since the rotors are new)
  3. Pads worn down to the wear indicator (again, not the case for you)
  4. Slider pins frozen/bogging (the bolts that hold the caliper on thread into two pins that should be greased any time you take your brakes apart)
  5. Contaminated pads
  6. Glazed rotors
  7. Rust spots
-Mike
Old 07-18-2006, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Could be a couple things. In most cases, squeaks are:
  1. Bad/missing chatter plates (the little metal plates that go between the caliper bracket and the ends of the pads, plus the one that goes in the top of the caliper)
  2. Rotor worn too thin (probably not the case for you, since the rotors are new)
  3. Pads worn down to the wear indicator (again, not the case for you)
  4. Slider pins frozen/bogging (the bolts that hold the caliper on thread into two pins that should be greased any time you take your brakes apart)
  5. Contaminated pads
  6. Glazed rotors
  7. Rust spots
-Mike
yea im thinkin it might be number 4, i was thinking of greasing them but didnt. they went in and ut kinda ruff.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

more than likely its the metal plates that are placed at the top and bottom of the pads. This will usually happen with new aftermarket rotors. Are your rotors zinc coated?
Old 07-18-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

My brakes seem to be squeeking when I'm at low speeds, such as cruising around in a parking lot. It makes a constant squeeking noise. Now, I did not replace the little metal chatter plates/clip lookin things as my pads did not come with new ones. I also did not put any litium grease on anything, nor did I grease my slider pins. So if I do all this, the squeeking should go away right? I'm just hoping it's not contaminated pads is what I'm getting at here...

James

edit: brembo oem blanks, pbr front pads, hawk rear pads is what I'm running.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01350ss
more than likely its the metal plates that are placed at the top and bottom of the pads. This will usually happen with new aftermarket rotors. Are your rotors zinc coated?
Could you elaborate on this? I am having the same problem. My rotors are the Duralast rotors from Autozone. Nothing fancy like zinc plating. Why would they metal plates on the pad have anything to do with the rotors?
Old 07-19-2006, 09:25 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmard
I did not replace the little metal chatter plates/clip lookin things as my pads did not come with new ones.
The chatter plates are thin metal shims typically attached to the metal backing of the pad facing the caliper piston. They are not the shiney clips that hold the pad on the caliper.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by VIP1
The chatter plates are thin metal shims typically attached to the metal backing of the pad facing the caliper piston. They are not the shiney clips that hold the pad on the caliper.
Well in that case, I dont remember seeing anything like that
Old 07-19-2006, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Aftermarket rotors will almost always be slightly larger diam than oem pieces. Just enough to cause the outer edge of the rotor to come in contact with the metal tabs inside the caliper bracket. Oem = 12.9" aftermarket = 13.0"-13.1" total diameter. That little extra diameter could cause an interference. In addition to the diameter, a zinc coating will also add to the diameter.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

they are zinc coated, hawk racing pads. its when i push down on the pedal, its like a chair creaking. best way i can put it. im gonna put sum white lith grease on the caliper pins and see if that helps. however, those thin plates that hold the pads on on the top and bottom are kinda worn, the pads didnt wanna go on right away so i forced em, like always, and those plates didnt seem to like it too much, could it be that?

for now im just gonna grease thepins
Old 07-20-2006, 05:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"im gonna put sum white lith grease on the caliper pins and see if that helps."

Autozon and AdvancedAuto have specific grease for the pins, I'm not sure lithium grease will work but a google may help you.

OK, A quick google brought this up:

http://members.shaw.ca/pferlow/brake_repair.htm

Even though it's not an FBody, the principles apply; and it has pictures of the abutment brackets, squeal clips and caliper grease.

Last edited by Viper; 07-20-2006 at 05:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Squeak after rotor swap