Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

When to change T56 fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default When to change T56 fluid?

My car has 66k miles on it, and i am wondering if i should change the tranny fluid out and which kind of trans fluid i should use. Thanks
Old 07-29-2006, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you should change it.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would use Amsoil. Its very good stuff, a bit pricey, but good. You can get it at Carquest, and yes you should change it. I change my tranny fluid every 8-10k miles.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was leaning towards changing it but just wasnt sure.

Anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 08-02-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yep, change it... if you don't want to spend alot on Amsoil just go to any parts store and get ATF, it'll do just fine.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I knew it was time to change mine when it poured out onto my brother's head while doing a clutch swap.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Launching!

mobil 1 syn. like slp used as a option. Shifts a lot smother with the syn. too. I would change every 50k ish.

If your changing fluids make sure you check the diff. Have almost 60k on the Z and was leaking a little around the pinion seal. (haven't fixed yet) Never left a drop on the gound. Less than half full and burnt when I changed it. Got lucky I didn't have to get a rebuild.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am quite surprised that Chucky , trans oil post *****, has not gotten into this yet. He likes to stir this mirkey pot. Also , it seems, he will suggest/ propose some mystery "moose-oil-**** extract" crap that nobody will stand behind. READ YOUR MANUAL!!!!!Change ONLY to an ATF -spec product that has a dex III designation. If you deviate from this and have not rebuilt / updated your synchronozer materials, you WILL have problems - long term. Check it out , lots is known and you should learn from the follies of others. The fact is , unless you severely flog on your F-car, you should not need a trans. oil change.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:46 AM
On The Tree

Awesome...I've reached trans oil post ***** status!!! I'll have to edit my sig over at BITOG calhoon, Thanks!

I'll sure admit to being a "trans oil post *****"...but I'm not 100% sure on the "mystery "moose-oil-**** extract" crap"???? I pulled up the last 5 threads I posted in and I simply referred the original thread starter back to this very long running thread: Which T56 fluid? as if one takes the time to read it, it covers pretty much every option out there for a lube for the F-body T-56. But, that's bad advice I'm sure...

LPWS6, definitely follow calhoon's advice! Make sure to use only OEM for everything you replace on your WS6. GM has taken the time to proof out every one of their recommended replacements you can conveniently purchase for $$$ at your local Stealership. For example, you can be sure GM did testing to determine which tires worked best at the time of manufacture, so ensure you get those exact same tires - don't get evil new/better tires, GM does not have those in the manual!!! . They could somehow mess something up!!!. Use this same logic for other wearables, such as spark plugs, spark plug wires, bulbs, windshield wipers, oil (brake, engine, rear end), and so forth. It is impossible that GM simply recommended ATF as it'd shift best in cold weather and could save them addional money because it's also ran in the A4 (read: one lube used and the plant and Stealerships, i.e. impossible to F up). I mean, GM (or Ford) has unlimited funds and isn't looking to save a buck wherever possible, it's not like they're each laying off 30,000 workers or anything... Oh, wait a second...

Chuck

P.S. Again, I don't make the threads, I just give a reference where they can read and make up their own minds...but, all those other posters in the thread I linked to above must be wrong... Right....

Last edited by chucky2; 08-04-2006 at 01:04 AM.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

You know the aftermarket snake-oil guys and the repair guys all love this attetude. The one that says OEMs have screwed you on the original build and you must change out the cheap, inadequate parts. Forget that in todays market OEMs warrent to 36k miles( most its 50k on drivetrain). Im sure the OEMs have carefully calculated the exhaust date of many parts to be just out of their responsibility, right? The basic flaw in that thinking is that this type of "engineering" actually costs much more than doing what is tested best.While it is true that there are upgrades to be had at the time of replacement items ( over the original) it doesn't mean you got screwed on the original equipment. If you really think that way, why did you buy the thing in the first place? Buying any product is a measure or trust- you trust you got what they represented AND you don't pay too much.You clearly dont have the trust. Why not just build your "better" one yourself, since you have all the "facts" right here in the threads?
Old 08-04-2006, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

calhoon- I never said the OEM parts are the worst thing since Satan (although sometimes you really have to wonder what they were thinking). My point is that just because the manual says one thing, does not mean using something somewhat different brings impending doom as you make it sound like.

One only has to go to the long thread I linked to, and just look at how many have been running non-Dex. III rated lubes in their T-56; 66% just in that poll.

Given how many people are running a non-Dex. III lube and not have problems, I'm not sure where your beef is calhoon?

Chuck
Old 08-04-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

He wants to know where your beef is.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

Uh oh...maybe I should change that...how about, "...not have problems, I'm not sure what your issue is?"

(Need to stop eating 1/2 bacon cheeseburgers when posting...)

Chuck
Old 08-04-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think its helpful to post about "research data " and "good results" that have no scientific value at all. It only serves to further the"mystry- oil /moose- **** additive" shell game.OK Ill lay off now ,as everyone has every right to alter /modify at will, poor choices and all.As usual its an open market and buyer beware.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

The whole point of forums like these is to research and get advice on which way to go on something, from clutches to fluids to troubleshooting to motherboards and best 42" plasma HDTV on other forums. Taking a step back, the Internet for the first time in human history brings innumerable people together to share information easily. It's only up to the person in search of such information to glean from it what they may, and decide if it's worthy or not.

I call whatever you find online as feedback to whatever you're looking for research data, because that's exactly what you're doing - researching - and exactly what you're finding - data. It's up to the person doing the researching to make a call on whether or not the data being found is accurate or can be trusted.

For example, if only one person on this forum had ever deviated from using a Dexron III rated lube in their T-56, that'd be a data point but would a sample of one be a good basis for not using a Dexron III rated lube? No. However, when there are many that are using a non-Dexron III rated lube, and have not posted doom and gloom stories, all of a sudden not using a Dexron III rated lube because much less doom and gloom and more viable.

How viable and worth it is always up to the person thinking about deviating from the manufacturers suggestions...but at least now with forums like this they can do their own research, hopefully find enough feedback (data), and make more of an informed decision.

Chuck

Quick Reply: When to change T56 fluid?