General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

a/c problem, water dripping fast under glove box

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default a/c problem, water dripping fast under glove box

Hey folks. I got a problem. Water is pooling on my passenger side floor board. I noticed that when I remove the panel under the dash, behind the glove box, I can see water drip from a black box that is bolted around the dryer I believe. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? The water is dripping very fast, and is cold, like it might be condensation.

Thanks

Jason
Old 07-31-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AC condensation is normal, but it's supposed to drip outside the car - should see it under the car on the passenger side during/just after running the AC. There's a condensate drain tube that's kinda hard to find coming out of the firewall on the passenger side - bet yours is just clogged making it backup inside the car. Jack the car up and see if you can clear it.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
AC condensation is normal, but it's supposed to drip outside the car - should see it under the car on the passenger side during/just after running the AC. There's a condensate drain tube that's kinda hard to find coming out of the firewall on the passenger side - bet yours is just clogged making it backup inside the car. Jack the car up and see if you can clear it.
Yep, probably a clogged evaporator drain. A coat hanger will usually un-clog it.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

does anyone know where exactly the drain hose is? I glanced yesterday afternoon and I didnt see it at all.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never tried finding mine, but it's supposed to be a small rubber drain, passenger side between the frame rail and the cat - gotta get under the car to find it.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:39 PM
Staging Lane

I have found the drain hole. Just to document its location for future folks I will explain in detail:

First, you will need to jack the car up, and jack it up high. I put mine on stands. The reason being, is that you will need to get under the car and look straight up at the passenger side cat. Once you have the car up on jacks, get under the car and look up at the header cat. Directly above it you will see a black plastic box. To the back of the box you will see a small drain hole. Mine actually had a drop of water about ot fall, and a piece of something white plugging it, so it was easy to see. You will need about 12-14in rod to clear it. Be Gentle, the heater core is in this box. I duct taped one of my small pick tools to a big flat tip screwdriver. This cleared it instantly. Good luck. Once it cleared, about a half cup of water came pouring out.