Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What is up with this steering??

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy What is up with this steering??

OK here is what has happened. I bought a car with what i thought was a bad power steering pump. After changing the pump, The grouling noise was gone, but the steering was still very stiff and just not right. I checked all the joints and front end bearings (wheel, strut, rod ends ect.) without finding anything wrong. So i bought one from a local junk yard and installed it. After the install I still had a problem. Now I have stiff spots in the steering. about every 180 degrees apart. Now i believe that my problem is in the car somewhere. I looked through the whole front end again with no luck. I have replaced the steering linkage between the column and rack, the tie rod ends ect. OK so i broke down and bought a new rack from Car Quest and installed it in my car. The problem still is there. I finally notice that the bolt that holds the linkage on the rack seems to be too long or something and is hitting the motor mount everytime i turn the wheel. Problem Fixed right? WRONG. So i fix the bolt and make it clear the motormount, BUT the steering just doesn't feel like my old 98 did or any camaro should. BUT i have left this alone now because i am getting ready for major overhaul.
So... Today I got the fresh motor reinstalled in the car with new heads cam intake ect ect. and i go to put the headers on the car. I know for a fact that these headers fit a 98 Because they happened to be my old ones off my old SS. Guess what?? They don't fit. The steering linkage is in the way. It appears that the rack that i put in the caris not the right one therefore not positioning the steering pinion in the correct position. THIS EXPLAINS why the bolt was hitting the motormount, and why the steering didn't feel right. BUT. After all that here is my question.... Is there more than one kind of rack for a 98 Z28?? I did tell them what is was for just like the junk yard rack, but apparently there is some kind of length difference or something??
Any help on what rack i need and where to get it would be great. Sorry this is so drawn out, but i am not real happy about all of this..
Old 10-01-2006, 01:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

To my knowledge, there is only one part number for steering racks for all LS1 cars. I've seen several new and worn and they LOOK the same too. Someone should comfirm though...
Old 10-02-2006, 04:15 PM
Teching In

I went to the parts store today, and they said that there are two different racks, but they should be the same size.. One is for stiff suspention, and the other one is for softer suspention i guess... This still doesn't make sense to me with the steering linkage though. If they are in deed the same size, then it should work either way..
Right???
Old 10-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Teching In

If it could get worse, it will for me..
So after the parts store discussion i started a full blown evaluation of the problem again. I don't know why or how come, but the previous owner must have had a similar problem. The steering link is so close to the motor mount, that they actually cut a notch into it so it will clear with the factory manifold in place. SO. now i am wondering what is really the problem. it the motor mount right? maybe the motor is in the wrong spot or something like that? Is there some way to find out the spec for this? If so is there a way to find out spec on the rack and pinion, even k member for that matter?
any input would be great..
Old 10-03-2006, 07:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Correct ... there are 2 steering racks for a 4th gen. One is for the 93-97 and the other is for a 98-02.

They will interchange, but the steering shaft linkage is different between the 2 genres.

From your description, my guess is that you have a 98+ car with a previous genre rack and shaft or vice-versa as I don't know the year model car you are working on.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:23 PM
Teching In

The car is a 98 that this is all in. I have checked on the rack, and it indeed is the correct one. The steering shaft looks like the one at the dealership but i cannot measure it. I also found out that there are 2 different K members for these cars. 93-97 and then from 98-02. I wonder what the difference is? I would assume motor mount placement? Could they have the wrong K member in the car? I do know that the passenger side lower a arm has been changed.. Wonder what else??
Old 10-05-2006, 08:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by pont463
The car is a 98 that this is all in. I have checked on the rack, and it indeed is the correct one. The steering shaft looks like the one at the dealership but i cannot measure it. I also found out that there are 2 different K members for these cars. 93-97 and then from 98-02. I wonder what the difference is? I would assume motor mount placement? Could they have the wrong K member in the car? I do know that the passenger side lower a arm has been changed.. Wonder what else??
right the LS1 k-member is a lot different than the LT1 as the motors mount up differently and sit in the k-member differently as i believe the LT1 sits further up..but not sure.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:51 PM
Teching In

I know this is dragging out, but is there a way to measure something on my k member to see if it is for a LT1 or a LS1. or even if mine is bent/warped??

Quick Reply: What is up with this steering??