Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Can someone post pic to the SuperCoupe's pedal assembly?

Thanks.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a 1987-1988 Turbo Coupe (Fox chassis.) Super Coupe was for the later MN12-chassis cars from 1989-up. Here is a 1987 T-Coupe assembly next to a Camaro pedal assembly.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc09950.jpg   LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc09951.jpg   LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc09952.jpg  

Last edited by powershiftkung; 10-10-2006 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. That sure isn't a dropin assembley. I'm trying to figure out how to mount cylinder inside, under the dash.
Thanks again.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1coupe
If he is going 6 speed in a fox I wouldn't use the 4.6 k-member. Pm me I have motor mounts and headers for this swap.
Which would you suggest? I am eager to see this project happen
Old 10-18-2006, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

The piston travel is about the same at the master cylinder for both pedal assemblies (a hair under one inch.) Since the T-Bird master will stick into the engine bay by rear cylinder, I'm going to say that the F-car master adapted to the Mustang pedal assembly makes sense. This will mean that the master will be further in the car. Shortening the rod and a little bracket fabricating should take care of it. I'll let you know how it goes once I start the swap after SEMA.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:33 AM
Staging Lane

OK guys and gals, it's coming together. I pulled the motor out on Friday and mcked up the LS1. I made two mounts and a rear crossmember over the weekend and on Monday, did the clutch master with the Turbo Coupe pedals. Here's where I am. Sorry for the bad pic, I reduced it too much and pressed "Save" and now I lost all the resolution.

All that's left is headers, wiring and the fuel system. I already ordered all the parts and will get an update up here soon. In California this week for work, but when I get back, it will be on again! I should be done soon.

The car weighed 3090 with me in it (200 pounds) with the 302 and T5 on Weld Draglites. Whatcha think it will weigh with the LS1/T56 combo? I'm trying to figure out how quick it will be because this motor made 426 RWHP.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-mustang-lx6.jpg  
Old 11-16-2006, 01:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by powershiftkung
OK guys and gals, it's coming together. I pulled the motor out on Friday and mcked up the LS1. I made two mounts and a rear crossmember over the weekend and on Monday, did the clutch master with the Turbo Coupe pedals. Here's where I am. Sorry for the bad pic, I reduced it too much and pressed "Save" and now I lost all the resolution.

All that's left is headers, wiring and the fuel system. I already ordered all the parts and will get an update up here soon. In California this week for work, but when I get back, it will be on again! I should be done soon.

The car weighed 3090 with me in it (200 pounds) with the 302 and T5 on Weld Draglites. Whatcha think it will weigh with the LS1/T56 combo? I'm trying to figure out how quick it will be because this motor made 426 RWHP.
Hopefully in the 2800 range. Man it's coming along fast. I can't wait to start putting mine together. My setup is a little more radical than most though.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

What K-member do you use?

Thanks.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weight wise you will probably close to your original weight, maybe a little under. These motors are a bit lighter than a SBC, but the trans makes up for most of the weight.

For 1/4 mile times w/ sticky tires and good suspension you will probably be in the 11's. Maybe a dip into the 10's in all the forces are working with you.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

OK, just got the driveshaft back. It uses a Camaro trans yoke and a Mustang rear flange. The local driveshaft shop built it with .083 wall 3.0-inch tubing and solid joints. He says it should take 500 hp no problem. Since he's done driveshafts for my other swaps and has been really good with them, I believe him. It was 46.25 inches from the centerline of the front U-joint to the flat of the rear diff.

The harness is in and as you can see, there is plenty of slack in the interior. I was thinking of mounting the ECM in the engine compartment, but this keeps it less cluttered.

The power steering pump was very easy to hook up. the Ford Return line is the perfect size and length and goes right to the Camaro reservoir. The pressure line is also the same size (3/8), so I put two fitting on and used an inverted flare to connect them. Don't use a compression fitting, it won't handle the pressure or engine movement!

The factory Ford fuel pump assembly incredibly has 3/8 feed and 5/16 return tubes but they get necked down when they connect to the Ford rubber/plastic lines. So, I cut them off on the topside and welded on a piece of 3/8 tube to the feed and put on a 3/8 to 6AN adapter. For the return, I welded on the former Ford feed line to it and will use the former rubber/plastic feed tube to act as the return at the Corvette fuel filter. 6AN will run from the front to the back.

The shifter sits pretty far back with the Mustang handle on it, but I'll just make a new handle to pop out through the stock boot. As you can see, the console will need a little trimming.

The air filter setup is just for show. I ordered some elbows online that should tidy this up by next week. Truthfully, this whole swap is a lot easier than you'd think! Let's all build LSX Mustangs
Attached Thumbnails LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc09964a.jpg   LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc09958a.jpg   LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc09963a.jpg   LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc09959a.jpg   LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc09960a.jpg  

LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc09957a.jpg   LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc09962a.jpg  
Old 11-18-2006, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stealth71
Weight wise you will probably close to your original weight, maybe a little under. These motors are a bit lighter than a SBC, but the trans makes up for most of the weight.

For 1/4 mile times w/ sticky tires and good suspension you will probably be in the 11's. Maybe a dip into the 10's in all the forces are working with you.
Yup, I expect it to go low 11s on the 26 x 10s. I hope to keep it under 3,000 with my in it. I may put the AC in, but the compressor interferes with the front sway bar.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Stampede4ever
What K-member do you use?

Thanks.
It has a UPR tubular K with 5.0 motor mount pads. I had it in the car when it was still Ford powered. I know a lot of guys are using the 4.6 versions but I think it's moot. That's because you have to make your own mounts anyhow and the fact that you are limited by the steering rack's height and the firewall distance so it doesn't really matter. The 5.0 version's benefit, in my opinion, is that the motor mount pads sit slightly more forward than the 4.6 K member to allow for more header clearance. American Racing on Long Island will be building the headers. I want to get this car running ASAP so they can mock it up. I believe American will sell these as swap headers based on my conversion. They will also make mounts. I've enclosed a pic of the ones I made last weekend.

The oil pressure gauge sender unit is from the Ford. I reduced it from 1/4 NPT to 1/8 NPT and mounted to the blockoff plate by the oil filter. This is quick and easy and gives plenty of header space still.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc00310a.jpg   LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc00314a.jpg   LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-dsc00308a.jpg  
Old 11-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Teching In

looking forward to seeing it complete.. cant wait to buy the mag
Old 11-18-2006, 02:33 PM
Launching!

I'd be interested in the motor mounts perhaps and also the tranny crossmember. Does the crossmember you made bolt to the stock location?
Old 11-18-2006, 03:31 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you're going to be drag racing the car, ditch that front sway bar.

fyi...i weighed my car at 2 different locations within a few days and it came in at 2850 without me. it had 17" front & rear '98+ GT rims, heat, all power options, no a/c or smog, poly front buckets, full interior otherwise, 1/8 tank gas, stock rear assy, tubular K & a-arms, stock hood. that's about it. no real weight removal has been done to it yet, so there's quite a bit to go. dopefedz said when his was weighed at Madman's shop, he thought it came in at 2475? he hasn't answered me back on weather or not that was correct or how he got it that f'n light, but i'm hoping he does because that would be unbelievable to get my car down to 2500lbs!!!!!

as for time, with a good driver, unlike myself in a stick car, i'm guessing you'll hit at least 10.80's @ 125. i would like a cookie if i'm right btw!

*edit* if you have a 3.73 gear or better!
Old 11-19-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be carefull.. the guys that work at PHR are a-holes.. especially the tech editor..

And they are everywhere online.. lol

Looking forward to the build
Old 11-19-2006, 04:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, and I have two never used BRP mounts.. the only problem is that they are both right sides.. maybe you could use them for a template?

Most adaptor plates use SBC mounts..

What are you doing for a fuel system? If you want to go low-buck you could just run the vette filter/regulator and be done with it..
Old 11-20-2006, 07:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Quick Double Nickel
I'd be interested in the motor mounts perhaps and also the tranny crossmember. Does the crossmember you made bolt to the stock location?
The rear crossmember bolts across to the frame rails behind the factory mounts. I used four 3/8 bolts. I've seen a lot of companies use the existing Fox crossmember supports, but it's not far back enough to effectively support the weight, especially the T56.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PRAY HRD
if you're going to be drag racing the car, ditch that front sway bar.

fyi...i weighed my car at 2 different locations within a few days and it came in at 2850 without me. it had 17" front & rear '98+ GT rims, heat, all power options, no a/c or smog, poly front buckets, full interior otherwise, 1/8 tank gas, stock rear assy, tubular K & a-arms, stock hood. that's about it. no real weight removal has been done to it yet, so there's quite a bit to go. dopefedz said when his was weighed at Madman's shop, he thought it came in at 2475? he hasn't answered me back on weather or not that was correct or how he got it that f'n light, but i'm hoping he does because that would be unbelievable to get my car down to 2500lbs!!!!!

as for time, with a good driver, unlike myself in a stick car, i'm guessing you'll hit at least 10.80's @ 125. i would like a cookie if i'm right btw!

*edit* if you have a 3.73 gear or better!
I've had my share of Mustangs (11 of them) on the street without a front swaybar, so I figured this time that I'd leave the 4-cylinder unit in place, just to make the car a little safer. I will probably dump it later. I exepct the car to weight 2,800 and with me in it, 3,000 even. Even with the 426 RWHP that it's making now, it should go somewhere in the low 11s. My friend who knows LS1s like the back of his hand also predicts 10.80s, so we'll see. I'm a lifelong drag racer, so kickin' and stickin' ain't no problem for me! So, I may give you TWO cookies!

Last edited by powershiftkung; 11-20-2006 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Steve1969LS1
Be carefull.. the guys that work at PHR are a-holes.. especially the tech editor..

And they are everywhere online.. lol

Looking forward to the build
I hope I'm not an A-hole. THE PHR guys are hard workers. Catch them on a bad day, and they may say something they don't mean. Trust me though, they are really professional guys. I've seen them in action at corporate events internally and externally, such as SEMA. I'm not professional enough to be a staffer, so I work from my shop and write in =(

Quick Reply: LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine