Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX Cobra (Shelby)? Has this been done?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LSX Cobra (Shelby)? Has this been done?

I was watching American Muscle Car tonight (on mid 60's Shelby Cobras) and it brought back my recuring daydream. Wouldn't it be great to build a kit car fiberglass Cobra, with a custom frame to hold a C5 or C6 rear mounted T56 and stick an LS7 up front. Ford guys would be pissed no doubt, but it would be a 427 Cobra, right?

I love new Vettes (actually all Vettes), but have always loved the brute simplicity of old Shelby Cobras. The C6 Z06 is great, I'd love to have one. But imagine how scary it would be w no creature comforts or ROOF!! Probly as close to motorcycle scary-fast as a street car could be!

I will build one, one day. But it is going to be a while. I know someone else has thaught of this. Any body know of someone who has done it?

P.S. I know about Hot Rod's LS7 Solstice...similar and great idea!
Old 11-02-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

subscribing. why not just mount the tranny up front. my wife wants me to put a kit together but i want to add a twist to it besides a 5.0. with a stock ls1 your talkin mid 11s all day. car only weighs 2000lbs so just imagine
Old 11-02-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like the rear mounted tranny 4 balance. The originals had independant suspension, so why not go with current vette? More wieght over the rear tires, should make it faster in the corners. And quicker at the strip.

The kits that use the 5.0s use the mustang solid axle, right? Nothing wrong w that, cheaper and easier. But for the ultimate performer, I think the new vettes have a good thing going back there.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah it uses a solid axle. i spoke with factory five and they dont make a kit that uses an lsx motor. nor did they seem to excited at the idea. not sure what it would take to get it in there but the cost of those custom headers for the side pipes would get costly probably. not sure though
Old 11-02-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

It would b nice if they made a kit to use 4th gen parts instead of mustang parts. Buy a wrecked 4th gen swap the rear, t56, ls1 into a 2000 pound body. All of a sudden the rear is strong, the brakes are overkill, and the acceleration is jet like!
Old 11-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

I have a good friend that built one of these using a 351 crate engine and it is a lot of fun.

I don't know about the rear mounted tranny, but I can't imagine it would be too hard to use an LSx with the tranny mounted in the standard place. Check out this site - they have a seperate forum for non-ford engines. I haven't been there in a while, but remember seeing some LSx builds before.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Launching!

Default How are about this.....

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s...0&ppuser=11409

I show this to my nieghbor to **** him off when he starts talking snack about his Factory Five cobra with his 351 motor compared to the Chevy small block then I start my under construction 55 Chevy truck with a LS1 in it and he shut up then.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

wonder if they would sell a set of those headers
Old 11-03-2006, 01:15 AM
TECH Resident

You should be able to just use the small block ford headers by welding on an LS1 flange.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:49 AM
TECH Regular

The car would be near worthless if you ever tried to sell it. Part of the allure of Cobras is a big block Ford in them, besides, an LSX Cobra just wouldn't *sound* right.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OldSchoolFormula
The car would be near worthless if you ever tried to sell it. Part of the allure of Cobras is a big block Ford in them, besides, an LSX Cobra just wouldn't *sound* right.
i completely disagree with thta statement. but to each his own
Old 11-03-2006, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I gotta side w KOAS. These kit cars are NOT real Cobras...the idea is to do your own thing. 427 inches of LS7 would sound good. And with the modern tech it should be able to soundly beat a real 427 Cobra or the C6 Z06 it got its parts from (0ver 1000 less pounds). This kind of performance should be valueable to more than just KAOS and I.

However, I would think most kit cars are $ losers, so I see and appreciate your point OldSchoolFormula. And by the way your car is sweet- I love that year - the snorkle hood is awesome! You are kinda in the same boat as my product idea though...no big pontiac under your hood. But in my opinion your car is BETTER than stock! Purists be damned!
Old 11-03-2006, 09:01 AM
12 Second Club

Ive seen it done, the shop that is building my motor has one. Its the owners car and it was built from the ground up completly custom, it is all corvette chassis, and drivetrain.
Not quite done yet, I'll get you pics next week if you wanna see it.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:03 AM
12 Second Club

oh yeah and if someone wants him to put one together for him, he gets 6 figures for the car!
Old 11-03-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by subtlez28
I gotta side w KOAS. These kit cars are NOT real Cobras...the idea is to do your own thing. 427 inches of LS7 would sound good. And with the modern tech it should be able to soundly beat a real 427 Cobra or the C6 Z06 it got its parts from (0ver 1000 less pounds). This kind of performance should be valueable to more than just KAOS and I.

However, I would think most kit cars are $ losers, so I see and appreciate your point OldSchoolFormula. And by the way your car is sweet- I love that year - the snorkle hood is awesome! You are kinda in the same boat as my product idea though...no big pontiac under your hood. But in my opinion your car is BETTER than stock! Purists be damned!

I kinda miss my big Pontiac sound though... But, my girlfriend worked for a company that would sell a lot of Cobras on consignment, and over the years they stopped taking any Cobras that werent Ford powered because they simply would not sell. Im not saying that the Cobra wouldnt be better with an LS7 in it, Im just saying that it won't have the same allure. Besides, a big inch Ford will make a ton of power anyway.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it'd be cool, subtleZ28, your sig pic is very cool. KAOS, do you have a for sale ad anywhere? I think I want a project car..
Old 11-04-2006, 12:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by subtlez28
However, I would think most kit cars are $ losers,.....
True.. and that also goes for anything you modify, that'll be a $ loser too... but that's not the point anyway or this forum wouldnt exist and we'd all be driving boring shitboxes. I dont give a monkeys how much mine will be worth when Im finished, im not selling it anyway and the value is in the satisfaction.

You know what they say: If it flies, floats or fxxcks.. Hire it, dont buy it.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:02 AM
Has Unresolved Sales In Feedback/12 second club

Doesent the lsx motors have the same firing order as a sbf? anyone? wouldnt they sound exactly the same if they have the same firing order?
Old 11-04-2006, 12:13 PM
10 Second Club

how would the kit car crowd be anything but welcoming to a LSx powered Cobra? the original cars were either 289s sbf or 427s bbf then they go and put 302s and 351s in them.. an LSx powered cobra would sell easier than a kit car also i think. even the original cobras were a mixed bag. an AC chassis and a ford motor. anyone who knocks a LSx powered cobra is a tard
Old 11-04-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a personal dream of having a Daytona Cobra Coupe kitcar with an LSx in it. The design of that car is just beautiful. Sad that old Brocky died in one in a rally

Quick Reply: LSX Cobra (Shelby)? Has this been done?