Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Norris Motorsports & Next Level Performace Business Changes

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 08:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Norris Motorsports & Next Level Performace Business Changes

Hi All,

There are quite a few changes going on here at the shop and I wanted to get as much info out to everyone as possible. Though some of the announcements may come as some of a surprise, we are hoping to improve what matters the most and that is customer service.

Since we moved into the larger shop location, things have been very busy (good) but also somewhat hectic (not good). The customers have always been great for the most part and business always good. But my lack of business sense and organization caused a lot of stress for me personally. I always did my best to try to keep the shop running, customers happy and employees happy. This tended to be at the expense of my family and our finances. The financial issues then at times would affect customers due to parts delays which tend to lead to customer satisfaction dropping. Not a lot of customers possibly ever noticed, but a few close friends always talked to me about things and always gave great advice. There were a lot of factors that play into everything, but I take the responsibility for all since I was the owner of the business.

With that said, I have decided to leave NLP at this time after 7 years to pursue some personal interests and go into a different direction in my professional life. I have sold the mechanical side of NLP to my shop manager, Geoff Skorupa, who used to own Performance Tech Center in the greater Chicago area. He has run the main shop for me over the past 18-24 months and will retain the current staff of techs we have. Pretty much the shop will run as it has with Geoff making the business decisions. The name will remain as well as the contact number, 407-869-7223, to be a seamless as possible. Of course there will be some changes here and there at Geoff’s discretion. The ownership changes actually took place Oct 23 of this year before SEMA. I will still be available for him to tune the shops vehicles and help out as needed when I am in town.

For myself, I still own the chassis dyno and the dyno facility along with one of the vehicle lifts and personal tools. I still retain the current LS1 Edit, LS2 edit and HP Tuners software and will be tuning on a more regular basis. For the customer, the emphasis on tuning quality will improve as I will be less pressed for time and less distractions. This equates to better customer satisfaction in the end. I am going to be tuning for other local and national shops on an appointment basis and again there is more time to make things right since the shop is not foremost in my mind to worry about. The customers benefit.

I will also be doing R&D for some folks as well as coming up with new products and doing more parts sales. I also plan on doing some special projects for customers as well as there are some current customers that still want just me to handle their vehicles. For other folks I can still set appointments for Geoff and NLP.

I have also received several “at a boy”, referrals, positive responses and some unbelievable offers since the split and while at the SEMA show in Vegas last week that very much surprised me as well as gave me quite a comfortable feeling at the same time. I feel very relaxed and just can’t wait to see what is behind each door as they open. I am pretty much going to “cruise” through the end of the year to enjoy the holidays with my family and work on a business plan for after the New Year. I still need to work obviously, just keeping things stress free.

What will happen after the New Year is open at this point and with several open offers and possibilities it will take a while to sort out exactly what I want to do. For now, Norris Motorsports is back, mainly because I still have T-shirts left, and a new name is in the works. I can be contacted at 407-616-2518 as well as thevettedr@aol.com for any tuning or high performance needs, parts or consultation. I am also working with a few local high end performance shops to bring together a quality team of folks from all motorized vehicle areas.

I do want to tell everyone who I have come in contact with since day one back in 1999 thanks and that everyone is important to me and played a part in my life. Even the “bad” experiences are a chance to learn and, though they are not wanted, sometimes a necessary part of the business to grow on. I am sure there will be folks that will say they are happy to see me go, and that is to be expected. Just the way things are sometimes. No bad will feelings here on this end to those folks either as life is too short. I appreciate the good words that a lot folks send my way as well as the constructive criticism of others to make me a better person and businessman. Thanks everyone.

Mike Norris
Old 11-10-2006, 08:41 AM
DSG
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best of luck...
Old 11-10-2006, 08:48 AM
11 Second Club

Mike family is number 1.. and i think its awesome you thunk of them first.. i will stay in contact as i am changing something on the car now and will be needing tuning in the coming months..

thanks for all your help mike

and congrats..

Mike
Old 11-10-2006, 09:07 AM
12 Second Club

Good luck with everything Mike. Youre the man and I am sure you will do well in your other buisness endeavors. Thanks also for dynoing my car recently @ a very nice price.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good luck with everything! Family is definitely number 1!!

We will be in contact!

Mike
Old 11-10-2006, 03:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,298 Posts

good luck on the move mike,im sure you'll end up even better and your focus is obviously in the right place.Nick
Old 11-10-2006, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Hey Mike,
I've known you for a long time and you've worked on many of my cars. I have to say that you are maturing and growing as a business and family man. I am proud of your changes and applaud your letter above. I pray that God will bless your future endeavors and your family. I will be talking to you in the near future and see you the 18th at the car show.

God Bless,
Keith
Old 11-11-2006, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

The best of luck to you Mike in anything you set out to do.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mike I just want to thank you for everything you've done with my car and the way you treated me. Good Luck!
Old 11-11-2006, 03:51 PM
10 & 11 Second Club

I would like to say congrats and good luck to Next Level Performance, Geoff Skorupa will do a very good job running the business. I have known Mike since he opened Norris Motorsports and its good to see him turnover control to Geoff he is a great guy and very intelligent with all things about cars. Also the techs Mike Mortenson, Mike M. Jr, Ty, and Tom are all very good techs and some cool guys. Good luck to Mike also.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mike, I can't say enough about 'the man who stands behind his work'. You've done me right and you've treated me fairly every single time ... with no questions asked. Even the 1% or 2% who were not satisfied ... you made offers to correct things.

Good luck and God Bless you and your family. I'm glad you're not leaving the area and can still tune my car. Geoff and crew will still do the buildup on my new car in 2008. See the one above? ... hehe!
Old 11-15-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck mike.

Quick Reply: Norris Motorsports & Next Level Performace Business Changes