Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI...make a big enough torque arm?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 05:22 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default UMI...make a big enough torque arm?

Geez guys...

Got the torque arm via UPS today, and damn that thing was packed in there tight Took me about 20 minutes just to get everything unwrapped. The full length, adjustable torque arm is one beefy ****

Couple quick pics:

Very nice welds, very nice powdercoat. I was also VERY surprised to see a magnetic base pinion angle finder in the box. Thought I was going to have to buy one soon Install will be a little while off...it might go in on the 10-bolt in have in there right now, or it may go in when I swap to the Strange 12-bolt that's been sitting in my garage for a month now.

FYI, for those wondering, the UMI bolt-in relocation brackets WILL work with the Strange 12-bolt. They fit up with no problems. No pics of that, cuz it is too cold to go back out to my garage

Thanks for being a great company!

Steve
Old 12-01-2006, 05:28 PM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, I ordered a bunch of stuff from UMI through Strano a couple of weeks ago. About the only thing I didn't buy was a new torque arm. I did pick up the bolt-in LCA relocation brackets too. Glad to know there won't be any problems.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Don't kid yourself...it is a tight fit on the brackets, but the holes line up perfectly. If I remember right, even my BMR brackets were a bit tight going on my 10-bolt, but it has been so long.

I never really wanted to replace my LG Motorsports torque arm, but that thing has always been a bitch to install with how it was designed. I don't even want to take it out/put it back in one more time. I'll have to see what the pinion angle is like with that arm before it comes off though...
Old 12-01-2006, 06:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve,

Excellent, I am glad to hear you got it and everything looks good! We like to wrap them tight to lengthen the suspense

You sent me a e-mail regarding where to buy an angle finder, well I read it and totally forgot to reply.. so I threw one in for free to help out for my mistake.

Thanks again!
Ryan
Old 12-01-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice pics i just received the same exact tq arm from umi today also but mine is in black. it's deffinatly a well put together peice and the powdercoat is perfect. how much more do you think this weighs compare to the stocker? i wasnt lucky enough to get a free angle finder i had to pay..
Old 12-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I was wondering about that Ryan...thanks for doing that. You really didn't have to (but don't expect me to ship it back either ).

As for weight compared to the stocker...I don't know. Give me a day or so, and I'll pull my stocker out and weigh it compared to the UMI piece. The UMI, as pictured, is 25.5 lbs (that's with the two through bolts). Without the mounting bolts, it is 24 lbs.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes that arm is 24lbs and the stocker is 17lbs.. our Chrome Moly version of this arm is 21.5lbs.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 12-01-2006, 06:34 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Well, since I got the same 24 lbs, I'm not even gonna go through the trouble of getting my stock arm out of storage. The stock piece is heavier than it looks, that's for sure. I think my LG Motorsports arm that is on the car now weighs less than the stocker (not by much). If only it was adjustable...
Old 12-01-2006, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Don't kid yourself...it is a tight fit on the brackets, but the holes line up perfectly. If I remember right, even my BMR brackets were a bit tight going on my 10-bolt, but it has been so long.

I never really wanted to replace my LG Motorsports torque arm, but that thing has always been a bitch to install with how it was designed. I don't even want to take it out/put it back in one more time. I'll have to see what the pinion angle is like with that arm before it comes off though...
I had a bit of a problem installing my relocation brackets because of that bracket that holds the e-brake line and brake line. i was only able to get one of those holes to match up with the relocation bracket.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Just ordered one today, that thing looks really beefy....good thing, because ill be bolting it up to a 9 inch, cant wait
Old 12-01-2006, 09:43 PM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I'd rather have them fit snug though than be all sloppy. If they're a slight press fit it goes to show the attention to detail they put into their products.

Btw, I also ended up getting the 3 point bolt-in SFC's, single adjustable LCA's, single adjustable panard bar, and torque arm relocation crossmember. I can't wait to see how everything looks!
Old 12-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by mobilebird
I had a bit of a problem installing my relocation brackets because of that bracket that holds the e-brake line and brake line. i was only able to get one of those holes to match up with the relocation bracket.
That's standard no matter which relocation brackets you do. The BMRs were the same way (they are still on my stock 10-bolt). Just had to snip off the part that didn't want to fit.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by ss1
I'd rather have them fit snug though than be all sloppy. If they're a slight press fit it goes to show the attention to detail they put into their products.

Btw, I also ended up getting the 3 point bolt-in SFC's, single adjustable LCA's, single adjustable panard bar, and torque arm relocation crossmember. I can't wait to see how everything looks!
Slight press-fit is how I would describe it.

As for how it will look?
Old 12-02-2006, 07:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Wow, that looks nice. I have one that looks just like it sitting in my storage unit back home. Can't wait to put it on!
Old 12-03-2006, 12:30 AM
TECH Regular

Looks good!

Is there any advantage of running the body mounted arm, compared to the tail shaft (stock) style?
Old 12-03-2006, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah tailshaft mounted ones can break the tailshaft housing of the transmission. that is why its a good idea to get a TA relocation crossmember to take the stress off the housing or run a tunnel mounted one.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:21 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Hell'sChariot
Looks good!

Is there any advantage of running the body mounted arm, compared to the tail shaft (stock) style?
Short torque arms are better for drag racing. That's why you don't see a body mounted arm in the pics above (I don't drag race). While tail shafts can break, they rarely do (I'd actually chalk it up to internet folklore). My car is a street/handling car first, 1/4 mile drag strip car last (although it'll get to the track next season for giggles).
Old 12-03-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
yeah tailshaft mounted ones can break the tailshaft housing of the transmission. that is why its a good idea to get a TA relocation crossmember to take the stress off the housing or run a tunnel mounted one.
I wouldnt worry about this happening unless you are running high hp and a lot of hooking traction.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

My buddy broke his tailshaft housing running 1.5 60's and low 11's on ET drags. far from internet folklore but I agree it is a very rare thing and probably happens more from random imperfections in the tailshaft housing. Generally I'd now worry about it.. but if you are taking the car down the 1/4 mile a lot and really hooking hard I'd think about getting it off the tailshaft just to be safe.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No **** that thing is beefy. I just got my new black TA from a member on here. The thing is brand new and wrapped up like you wouldn't believe. I was really surprised at how beefy this thing is, definately a strong piece

Quick Reply: UMI...make a big enough torque arm?