Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP 200CC heads/Fast 90/90 question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSP 200CC heads/Fast 90/90 question

I recently put my TSP heads on and wanted to check it out with my FAST 90/90 on. I soon found out that there is a huge lip between the manifold and the intake port.

TSP terminator head

I then got an idea to check and see if it was that way with my stock heads.

Stock head

So Im at a loss here. Wouldn't the step up from the intake to the runner cause the air to "tumble" into the combustion chamber? Wouldn't this cause a hp/tq loss? Is this something I need to be concerned about?
Thanks.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah that doesnt look good for airflow at all,im not really sure you would be able to do anything about it either.Im going to take a guess and say the ls6 intake would fit the same way.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

how did you get those pics?? take apart the manifold, im assuming
I think TSP needs to chime in here...

Erik
Old 12-03-2006, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by erikthegoalie
how did you get those pics?? take apart the manifold, im assuming
I think TSP needs to chime in here...

Erik
Yes, I have my FAST apart right now. Thanks for the replies.

Anyone else?
Old 12-03-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
Yes, I have my FAST apart right now. Thanks for the replies.

Anyone else?
Epoxy and a phone call to TSP? Hopefully they won't tell you to "port match" the head.

Seriously though, I've never seen this view before. It looks like the "cathedral " portion of the head is blocked by the intake on both heads as well.
Good luck,
Larry
Old 12-03-2006, 12:32 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's very interesting. I wonder what TSP will say. Personally I'd go with epoxy and try to make the transition as smooth as possible.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
That's very interesting. I wonder what TSP will say. Personally I'd go with epoxy and try to make the transition as smooth as possible.
I see what both you gentleman are saying about Epoxy, but thats a bandaid. I don't do bandaids. As far as it happening on both heads(stock and TSP) It's minimal, if even noticable on the stock heads but yet when you look at the TSP heads, there is AT LEAST a 1/4-half an inch of a step up.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

this just interrupted my current plans...hmmm

TSP?? anyone??
Old 12-03-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see what both you gentleman are saying about Epoxy, but thats a bandaid. I don't do bandaids. As far as it happening on both heads(stock and TSP) It's minimal, if even noticable on the stock heads but yet when you look at the TSP heads, there is AT LEAST a 1/4-half an inch of a step up.
I don't know if it's a bandaid? I've seen some stuff in magazines where it was used to build up areas and always thought it was excepted.

I can also understand from a design stand point where this could have a better transition. I'm willing to bet that part of the good flow #'s comes from the port location being raised straightening the flow path but a 1/4" seems excessive. Keep us posted
Old 12-03-2006, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldnt worry so much about the top cathedral part of the port as thats just for the injector boss and has no impact on airflow,but the bottom portion of the intake runners on the heads are not designed well at all,i have not seen any other ls1 heads with a rounded intake port like that,because no intake manifold is rounded that way and all its going to do is hurt airflow.It looks like a big step up and i wouldnt deal with epoxy either,as the transition will still not be great.If it were me i would call tsp and tell them about it and see what they say.And if it were my car i would take the heads back off and send them back to tsp and get something else,thats just my opinion.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Mill the heads and/or runner a thinner Cometic gasket - 0.040". Bring the heads down and inline with the intake. That's not a bandaid, that's how you fix it and make more power. I don't know how much you'd need to mill, but you could easily measure - probably a good .020" will need to come off in addition to the thinner gasket. Then you'll probably need to flycut. Either way, not what you expected.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
Mill the heads and/or runner a thinner Cometic gasket - 0.040". Bring the heads down and inline with the intake. That's not a bandaid, that's how you fix it and make more power. I don't know how much you'd need to mill, but you could easily measure - probably a good .020" will need to come off in addition to the thinner gasket. Then you'll probably need to flycut. Either way, not what you expected.
Agreed, that's another option to fix it. In that second picture it's obvious that someone tried to port that intake at one point. Is the intake completely untouched on the bottoms of the ports?
Old 12-03-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gaskets ARE Cometic 0.040". Pistons have 4cc or 6cc reliefs. I was thinking of doubling up on valley cover gaskets to bring the bottom of the intake up some. TSP, what do you guys think needs to be done here?
Old 12-03-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by My90Iroc
Agreed, that's another option to fix it. In that second picture it's obvious that someone tried to port that intake at one point. Is the intake completely untouched on the bottoms of the ports?
Intake has NOT been messed with aside from being completely taken apart to check for metal shavings or whatever from when my stock motor went boom.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gaskets ARE Cometic 0.040". Pistons have 4cc or 6cc reliefs. I was thinking of doubling up on valley cover gaskets to bring the bottom of the intake up some. TSP, what do you guys think needs to be done here?
The valley cover doesnt touch or come in contact with the intake and won't effect the height....If this engine was a Gen II you could have doubled the gaskets or used a thicker .120 gasket but even that wouldn't have moved it enough to be an effective solution. You could fabricate a spacer but that is a PITA to say the least and I dont know how much fabricating backround you have.

Seems to me the intake interface may have been machined incorrectly or the ports may have been located in the wrong place to begin with.

Your only choices are to epoxy the intake to match or simply give TSP a call in the morning which should be your first course of action. They usually go out of there way to make things right and I'm sure you guys will figure something out to get it resolved.

Good luck...

Tony
Old 12-03-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
The valley cover doesnt touch or come in contact with the intake and won't effect the height....If this engine was a Gen II you could have doubled the gaskets or used a thicker .120 gasket but even that wouldn't have moved it enough to be an effective solution. You could fabricate a spacer but that is a PITA to say the least and I dont know how much fabricating backround you have.

Seems to me the intake interface may have been machined incorrectly or the ports may have been located in the wrong place to begin with.

Your only choices are to epoxy the intake to match or simply give TSP a call in the morning which should be your first course of action. They usually go out of there way to make things right and I'm sure you guys will figure something out to get it resolved.

Good luck...

Tony
Thanks Tony, I planned on calling them tomorrow morning.
Thanks again everyone.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

keep us posted for sure...

+1 for Tony Mamo-thats stand up to give props to another company who sells heads...

Erik
Old 12-04-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Resident

Keep us updated on the outcome, I was considering those heads as well but was never sure. This may help persuade me to go another route.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:08 AM
Launching!

That sucks man i hope you get everything worked out.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

The problem with this, is the heads are already 62cc heads and he is already running .040 cometics gaskets. His compression is already around 11.5 scr and 8.7 DCR. If he mills then his compression is going to be out of the range of pump gas, since he can only get 91 ocatane here in AZ.