LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Shift kit install, very detailed (56K go watch a movie)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shift kit install, very detailed (56K go watch a movie)

Well i completed the 4T65E shift kit install in about 45 min. Took lots of pics so there is not much confusion if anyone does this them selves.

I used the intense-racing kit and set it up for the 258mm TC which is what our cars have.

First impressions: nice mild bump for part throttle, nice pop into 2nd @ WOT with completley stock trans computer tuning. Not totally satisfied, i removed all TM from the trans and engine tables, lower both pos and neg side of the force motor table 10%, left pressure tables stock! Raised my rev limiter to 6300, raised 1-2 shift points to 6100, 2-3 and 3-4 to 6000. Set my down shift mph 1 mph lower than the up shift mph ( i.e.: Upshift 1-2 = 46mph, i set down shift 2-1 for 45 mph) and tested again. Little harder bumps at part throttle, and a nice firm thud on the 1-2!!! down shift are instaneous and firm as well.

The instruction that came with the kit were not all that good. But it wasnt too badm tricky part was putting it back together and installing the 3 tubes simultaneously was a juggling act.

Parts/tools needed:

28qt clear storage bin i used for a catch pan from wal mart. (was the perfect size of the trans pan)
8 qts dexron VI. (local dealer had it in stock)
Shift kit of your choice.
10mm deep well socket and ratchet
8mm socket and ratchet
inch/lb torque wrench.
Brake kleen
lots of towels.

Trans pan off, no shavings or chunks of material found... thank god!

View of inside with pan off, filter still on...

The drain pan/storage container...

The accumulator asmy off the car... Note the 4 empty holes, those are the only ones that need to come out to get it out of the trans!

Three tubes that attch to the accumulatr dangling... they just slip in, no clips, no seals.

Note the labeling of which piston is for what gears right onthe cover. 1-2 is closest to where the 3 tubes come in.

Dissasembled accum, 2-3 on left, 1-2 on right. Only diff is the spring on top of the piston, has thicker coils for the 2-3 piston.

Just incase you forget... they tell you which side is for what gears on the back side of the accum...

Last edited by BADDLS1SS; 12-23-2006 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Shiney smooth stock piston bores...

Take the supplied green sciff pad and scuff up the bores...

The piston bores after the scuff pad... The scratches them selves hold oil and provided adequate oil film for the rubber seals so they dont get stuck on the bored or chatter.

Only the 2-3 piston does this large coil spring need to come off top of it. You may have to really pull on it to get it off, but 1 washer goes under it.

One Spacer for 2-3 only!

These 3 out of 4 types of spacer get used. The smallest is #1, middle is #2, the tallest is #3

A #3 spacer, follwed by a #1 spacer go on the pin of BOTH sides to start.

for the 2-3 A white spring goes on first, follwed by a red one, then plain from the kit. The 1-2 gets the same spacer arrangement and only a white spring and plain.

Both pistons can go on now, and the #2 spacer slips onto the remaining stud poking for BOTH sides. Sorry i didnt get a pic of it, my camera batteries died.

Reassemble everything in reverse order dump 7 qts in, fire it up, run it through all gears dump 3/4 of the 8th quart in and test it out!

Last edited by BADDLS1SS; 12-23-2006 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome write up. I'm going to leave this normal for a couple days for feedback and other posts. Then It's sticky time.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

fyi intense has a **** poor reputation in the wbody world. they have made more parts that have blown up motors and transaxles then anybody else. I would recomend zzp for a shift kit as they have also found a filter that has better quality and are the only ones currently selling that.

Intense however as i said have had lots of issues. Their limited slip diffs have killed 100's of transaxles, their protorque convertor has killed 100's of transaxles, their gen 3 roller rockers have a poor pedistal design with improper angles cause the roller tips to grind the housing and spray metal shavings all over the place. This is just to name a few there are plenty more. Its seems as if they rather introduce a product with out any testing and let the customer deal with testing it. and then to follow it up they will only cover their part that failed and offer to sell you parts to fix your motor or trans that their part caused the failure of. Nothing like making a profit on your **** poor design.

So my advice is be very cautious if you purchase anything from intense.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

This will defiantly be my next mod also. I've noticed my car is shifting horribly lately. I've got 60% TM remaining on the shifts, but the shifts are still is slow and sloppy.

Great write up though, I’m sure I'll be using this for reference when I do mine. I'm probably going to get the ZZP kit instead(bad experience with intense also).

Last edited by SDfbody; 12-25-2006 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah i heard about the intense issues, ive seen one personally on a buddies 98 GTP i helped install a cam on, it must have been ground wrong, we had had it apart 4 times to veryify the timing of it cuz it was faster with the stock cam... they sent a new one then the copper collored coating between the lobes peeled off lol, found that coming out during an oil change... They denied that one too ha ha!!

I figured i couldnt go wrong with a shift kit from there, but i was warned about the LSD's as the 1st gen ones were the only ones that were kinda OK.

*UPDATE*

After a full days worth of driving i love it!! On select pavment it get a nice little belch of the left front on the 1-2. It hits perfect! The lull after the 1-2 shift has virtually gone away by half now i would say.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

guess i need to get on the ball and get the kit done.
come to kc and do mine!
Old 12-27-2006, 03:50 PM
Teching In

i just ordered mine from zzp (should see it on the 28th.). I will let you all know how the install went.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

I think you could get the same (if not better) effect by just taking out the factory accumulator springs altogether and spacing out the piston as instructed instead of spending the dough on the whole shift kit.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:52 PM
Teching In

for 29 bucks it's worth spending the dough.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

I installed my shift kit(zzp) today. Took a couple of hours, but a novice mechanic(like myself) shouldn't have any problems. ZZP's instructions were actually very good, no guess work.

Since its raining heavily out right now, I just took the car to get the fluid warmed up so I could check the fluid level. I got on it a little, the downshifts feel way better, just a solid quick shift. I couldn't really check the up shifts out yet, since every time I got on it the tires broke loose. So far I very pleased with the $30 I spent on the kit.

Last edited by SDfbody; 12-30-2006 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Default installed zzperformance shift kit

I installed the zzperformance shift kit yesterday. thanks badls1ss for the pics. the install was a breeze. there was a big difference in the shifts. the big difference was on the forced downshifts they are neck snapping!!!!
Old 01-31-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Very nice write up, also let it be known you can make one for about 10 bucks. Also Intense makes great parts, don't go bringing over the Clubgp hate here. Everybody has had there problems including ZZP and wbodystore. I've got tons of Intense parts on my car, running low 12's and have had nothing but great success. Intense also has the hands down best customer service.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

You should have done the update for the lube tubes while you had the pan off!
Old 03-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Hey BADD, I'm learning the HP Tuners thing and wondered how/ what you changed to firm the shifts. I did the Intense Shift Kit but it doesn't quite shift firm enough yet. I've been looking at changing the line pressures but not sure how much to change them without just stabing in the dark (not my kinda thing). Any help would be appreciated, Dave.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

I have a shift kit in the box with a new filter if anyone is interested, one side note, I broke my Tranny in my GXP with just the TUNE so I don't think that weak *** tranny will hold up with a tune and a shift kit
Old 03-23-2007, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FlyinGTP
fyi intense has a **** poor reputation in the wbody world. they have made more parts that have blown up motors and transaxles then anybody else. I would recomend zzp for a shift kit as they have also found a filter that has better quality and are the only ones currently selling that.

Intense however as i said have had lots of issues. Their limited slip diffs have killed 100's of transaxles, their protorque convertor has killed 100's of transaxles, their gen 3 roller rockers have a poor pedistal design with improper angles cause the roller tips to grind the housing and spray metal shavings all over the place. This is just to name a few there are plenty more. Its seems as if they rather introduce a product with out any testing and let the customer deal with testing it. and then to follow it up they will only cover their part that failed and offer to sell you parts to fix your motor or trans that their part caused the failure of. Nothing like making a profit on your **** poor design.

So my advice is be very cautious if you purchase anything from intense.
He is absolutely correct "INTENTS" is a garbage company, I wouldn't buy anything from them unless it was made by some else if you look close at my sig pic of the vette you will see a green GTX in the garage its in there because of their lame *** rocker arms shaved off into my crank case
Old 03-23-2007, 11:14 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

and from everything I've read, it's recommended to do one or the other - tune the tranny shifting/pressures OR do a shift kit - but NOT both....

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 03-23-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

i have both. badd has both
Old 05-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any GXP specific differences? and what is the lube tube update?

Quick Reply: Shift kit install, very detailed (56K go watch a movie)