"racecar" insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "racecar" insurance?

i want to get a car just for racing but was wondering

1. do you have insurance on your racecars?

2. how is it setup? like as a recreational vehicle or what?

i would still be driving the car to the track, it isn't gona be faster than an 11 second car for a while
Old 01-13-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well my car is an all out drag car so it doesnt see any street time so I dont carry insurance on it. If you plan to drive it on the street youll have to atleast have liability on it. Now on a personal note my friends mother owns a insurance agency and they will not cover your car if you wreck it at the drag strip.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

i don't want the insurance to cover the car, i just want it to be street legal

i will get atleast liability, but i was wondering if you can classify it as some kind of limited driven vehicle or something to get the insurance cheaper
Old 01-13-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ohh yea you can put it as a secondary that is driven 100 miles or less ( something classified like that) I did that for a long time on my TA before I took it off the street all together It is considerable cheaper.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

100 miles for what period of time? cuz i would get over 100 miles with 2 trips to the track and back

that sounds like what i'll end up getting
Old 01-13-2007, 10:30 PM
Launching!

I told my company that I only drive the car on the weekends because I work out of town during the week. Liabilty on the car was only $15 more to add on the policy with the everyday car. Dosent get much more cheaper than that.

Progressive btw.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Pretty much no one out there will cover you if you crash at the track. If its just for liability and you have a 2nd car then just list as a weekend pleasure vehicle. It will be mush less expensive.

Originally Posted by StngKlr
I told my company that I only drive the car on the weekends because I work out of town during the week. Liabilty on the car was only $15 more to add on the policy with the everyday car. Dosent get much more cheaper than that.

Progressive btw.
Stngklr, Do yourself a huge favor a change insurance co's and don't switch to Nationwide because they are almost as bad. Even if it costs you 50.00 a month more make the switch. I hear at least one new nightmare a week from one of there insured. Pretty much any other major co is OK.

If you ever have any kind of significant claim you will wish to god you switched.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

There is racecar insurance available, but you cant drive the car on the street with it. Its intended to protect the car, trailer, and tools, from acts of god, fire and theft.