General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Anyone know about Insurance Adjusters?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 03:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone know about Insurance Adjusters?

We had high wind down here last night in Florida, and the damn roll around B-ball hoop came smashing down on my car.

The Windshield is scratched along with a crease in the hood and a scratch all the way across the hood down over the fender.

I've never deal with an adjuster, so whats the chance of them letting me pick up a used SS hood and get it repainted? It should be less than a brand new stock Z28 hood.

My stupid deductable is $500, can I call them change my plan to a lower deductable and then make the claim? Or is that not allowed?
Old 02-02-2007, 05:00 PM
Teching In

you are stuck with the 500 deductable.As far as going with a "used"hood..why shortchange yourself.You paid your premiums and I am sure you have over 500.00 in damage.Call them and let the job get done like it should!!
Old 02-02-2007, 05:27 PM
11 Second Club

yeah but i have a z28 and I want an SS hood..... I doubt they will buy me that.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes the insurance company will assess the damage to your car and then cut you a check for what they estimate it would cost to fix, which you are free to spend any way you want. You could leave it damaged and spend it all on hookers and blow for all they care. However, usually their estimate will be a lowball.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They can just write you check for the damage minus the $500 and you can do whatever you want with the cash.

You might be able to get that taken care of on your house insurance though and not have to pay a deductible or at least a smaller one. I'm no expert on that but I've heard of similar types of things being covered by the house insurance.

Either way let us know what they do.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ls1Envy
yeah but i have a z28 and I want an SS hood..... I doubt they will buy me that.
My insurance company will write checks for the estimate price. They don't usually send out adjusters unless it is a big thing. Usually we just go get an estimate, send them that and they will cut us the check. If yours does that, you will be able to get your SS hood.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:07 PM
11 Second Club

hmmmm....the guy at the body shop said they usually won't cut me the check because the bank owns the car, they'll make it out to the shop or the bank/shop.

I guess I'll just have to see.

Anyone had any dealings with 21st Century Insurance?
Old 02-03-2007, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

What generally happens is the ins co will try to get you to go to one of their preferred shops to have the work guaranteed. They will usually then just issue payment to the shop. You can choose to have your car repaired where ever you want. If you want a SS hood you should just have them write the estimate at your house or if they want you to take it some where, judging by the year of your car they will problably find a aftermarket or recycled for cheaper than the oem but they will only write for a z28 hood. If you have a lein holder they will most likely have to put them on the check. If the lein holder is local they usually just sign off on the check no worries. You could then take that money and try to find a recycled SS hood from a salvage yard.