Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance claim question?..need help big time

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Insurance claim question?..need help big time

I just got my car back yesterday and its running like ****...Was wondering if yall could help me answer this question?... can I use my insurance to help restore my car back to normal after it has been touched up by another bodyshop? See the situation is that when my brother was hit the guy that hit him had no insurance but he said that he would fix everything since he had a body shop he said he would leave it like "new". Well I let him take my car to save me the trouble of dealing with my insurance, and gave him permission to go ahead and fix it thinking he was going to do a good job. Well he did an ok job on the body but it still needs work, but my problem is that my wheel aligment and handling is not right I have to drive my car with the steering wheel at a small tilt to keep it straight, also my brakes are really mest up I even have now the "ABSIONP" light on. Its driving like crap and the body needs work, so im just wondering if after the guy "fixed it" can i still use my insurance to finish the job right?
Old 03-01-2007, 05:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should have reported it to the insurance in the first place...
Old 03-01-2007, 06:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Depending on how long ago the accident was you could still report it... but you will run into problems since that shop did a half-*** job of fixing it... would make it real hard on the appraiser to determine what was damaged in the first place. Also if it was a long time ago there is a statute of limitations.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by my01ws6
Should have reported it to the insurance in the first place...
+1 never ever trust any one. You should ave called the police and got a report..

and he would have been ticketed making him at fault. depending on your deductable, and how long it's been since the accident.

as for the steering just go get an alignment, the abs inop light disconnect the sensors on the rear brakes and plug them back in. if that doesn't work you might have a bigger problem..

good luck.

Jeff.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:58 AM
11 Second Club

Well it happend like 2 weeks ago, and if I have trouble I think I will just fix the things that are wrong myself, was going to buy some headers and lid but now i got to fix my car....that F*&^en sucks... my mods are now on hold till everything is straight with my car
Old 03-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Teching In

if it happened two weeks ago you can still report it - i work in insurance and have people report months later
Old 03-02-2007, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Report It.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW!!,.On 1/10/07... I got hit by a guy who had no insurance either so hopefully I can help!

1st thing....From this point on.......REPORT EVERYTHING RIGHT AWAY!!!

You can try to report it but your gonna have to explain things to them. They're gonna wonder why you didn't report it sooner! Find out what your deductable is if you don't already know. Most people have it at $500 BUT if you have Uninsured Motorist on your insurance then you should be fine and not have to pay anything.
Few Q's tho:
1.) Who's your Insurance Co.?
2.) Whats the Damage cost? ...
3.) Does your insurance plan cover only YOU as the driver or was your brother LEGALLY insured on your plan to drive your car....without you in it?

Ask your bro if there where any witnesses too. Cuz worst comes to worst....Small Claims that son of a bitch to get the rest of the cash to fix it!

Friend of mine had something similar happen to him about a year back... Guy had no insurance either and my friend was PISSED!! He's an ex con too (5 months out at the time)so a pissed off ex con is NOT someone you want to be on the recieving end of. lol! He told the guy that he has a choice to either send his friend(passenger) into the bar accross the street and pull a grand out of the ATM while Mr. DumbShit' (lol!,...thats what he called the guy the whole time) stayed with us... OR..... he was gonna call the cops and have him arrested. ....lol..he also read out loud the guys home address from his drivers license ...THAT made the guy nervious! lol!... you don't want a pissed off ex con knowing where you live!.lol..sorry!! lmao!

Anyways...So.... guy pulled the cash and my friend called the ins co. the next day and said that he was a vic of a hit and run. Paid a $500 dollar deductable and had the car fixed. Pocketed the other $500. lol! He has a truck also so the car being down for 4 days didn't bother him much! That was a funny tho!..

Last edited by WS6 Rampage; 03-02-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

thats some funny as hell...well My borther is not an insured driver just me and my dad, since he is 17 dont want our bill to be too high, SO than your saying I can still put a claim on the damages? Onimere
Old 03-08-2007, 05:02 AM
TECH Addict

*bump*... Lets keep this sucker alive!
Old 03-08-2007, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

When my truck got hit by an uninsured punk kid, my insurance company cut me a check and tried to recoup their costs from the kid. I had to do nothing. I don't believe they ever recovered anything, but that was their problem.

Actually, though, it's all our problem. We pay inflated insurance fees due to uninsured drivers and the accidents they cause and don't take responsibility for.

Go back to the guy and try to get him to make it right. And go to your insurance rep and see what their processes are. You may be able to do something official about it, and you may not. It depends on the state and the insurance company. You're probably hosed, though, without a police report.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jebuzws6
thats some funny as hell...well My borther is not an insured driver just me and my dad, since he is 17 dont want our bill to be too high, SO than your saying I can still put a claim on the damages? Onimere
Yes you can still put a claim, your CAR is covered no matter what as long as who was driving was a permissible driver.. the only time where the "drivers" come in to coverage would be under medical pay. Uninsured motorist property damage is state specific, for example you are in Texas, and by Texas law for Uninsured coverage if you have it on your policy you need a Police report or an attempt at one and you are required to pay a 250 dollar deductible. Then the insurance company will subrogate (bill) the other person directly.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jon5212
Yes you can still put a claim, your CAR is covered no matter what as long as who was driving was a permissible driver.. the only time where the "drivers" come in to coverage would be under medical pay. Uninsured motorist property damage is state specific, for example you are in Texas, and by Texas law for Uninsured coverage if you have it on your policy you need a Police report or an attempt at one and you are required to pay a 250 dollar deductible. Then the insurance company will subrogate (bill) the other person directly.
See,.thats what I thought. Only diff is that I thought that the deductible was $500 and NOT $250.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your collision/comprehensive deductible may be 500, but Uninsured Motorist Property damage is different coverage and that is state regulated... its not regulated by your insurance company ( i work for a large insurance company). All though since this was technically not a hit and run since you have ID on the responsible person he did not have insurance at the time so thats all the farther it will go. I would just contact your insurance company ASAP and they can guide you through the entire process and give you options. Good Luck Man