PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Will a HPT demo be benificial?
Yes, I would like a demo so I can try before I buy
90.28%
No, a demo wouldnt make a difference on what I buy.
9.72%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Would you want a demo version of HPT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Would you want a demo version of HPT?

This seems to be a hot topic. Ive read on other forums that people like the demo EFI has and wished HPT had one. Some that have HPT say a demo would be usless. Whats your opinion? Would a demo help sway your decision on what tuning program to buy?

Last edited by horist; 03-01-2007 at 12:54 PM. Reason: fixed subject typo
Old 03-01-2007, 12:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Carl,

We know there is a want & need for one & its not going to come about because of this thread. We just havent had the time to do it with all the new developement. We know it would sway people that are on the fence our way if we came out with one so asking a question we already know the answer to isnt going to help the cause. Once we have some time to put one together we will, but unfortunatly thats the one thing that is scarce is time.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:56 PM

This was just a general question to get public opinion sine I was curious. Also this was for the people that said that there was NO need for one. Not for HPT to see it.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I will bite. As a newbie, no it will not help. Unless someone is willing to answer your questions and is familiar with the software and/or you can see what the changes affect, a demo will be useless. Now, if you have used other software and understand what tables do, then yes it can be of benefit.

If I gave you a "demo" version of software, would you know how to utilize it with out any prior knowledge of the functions? Granted, most software has help files to help you navigate through some things, but it doesn't show you how to utilize the software, nor what if scenarios. HPT has the help file available and the tutorials really help out newbies.

I will say this here as well, I am not opposed to an HPT demo, it has become a marketing tool and can be beneficial to novice users. So it is good for HPT to put out a demo. Most of us are not saying "there was NO need for one".
Old 03-01-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The EFILive "demo" is the real actual software itself... it can view logs and edit tunes (without a cable it can't log/flash), and comes with user manual/tutorial PDF's and real sample logs/tunes.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
The EFILive "demo" is the real actual software itself... it can view logs and edit tunes (without a cable it can't log/flash), and comes with user manual/tutorial PDF's and real sample logs/tunes.
I don't know whether or not it will sway anyone, but here's my 2cents:

HPT could do that (demo) and with LITTLE TO NO WORK TO THEIR STAFF... I can install my CD on eleventy-billion PCs and edit until my heart is complete. I CANNOT, however, log or tune without a cable MATCHED to the software's serial #.

So why not just make up a license key# that is public and distribute the software? It would be the same as EFIL is doing, and without a matched cable it IS demo only.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Frost
I don't know whether or not it will sway anyone, but here's my 2cents:

HPT could do that (demo) and with LITTLE TO NO WORK TO THEIR STAFF... I can install my CD on eleventy-billion PCs and edit until my heart is complete. I CANNOT, however, log or tune without a cable MATCHED to the software's serial #.

So why not just make up a license key# that is public and distribute the software? It would be the same as EFIL is doing, and without a matched cable it IS demo only.
That's what I was trying to say...
Old 03-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Teching In

I would just compare the info available on both forums if you don't know how to use it doesn't matter what software you have.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Country Boy
This seems to be a hot topic. Ive read on other forums that people like the demo EFI has and wished HPT had one. Some that have HPT say a demo would be usless.
Maybe its not just the demo they are talking about?
Old 03-02-2007, 07:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by foff667
Carl,

We know there is a want & need for one & its not going to come about because of this thread. We just havent had the time to do it with all the new developement. We know it would sway people that are on the fence our way if we came out with one so asking a question we already know the answer to isnt going to help the cause. Once we have some time to put one together we will, but unfortunatly thats the one thing that is scarce is time.
that's funny.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
that's funny.

what's even funnier is that many of the people replying are EFI folks , and many of the replies are either sarcastic or an obvious attempt to cause trouble in this thread....

I suggest people read the stickies again in case they need a refresher on forum rules....

Last edited by horist; 03-02-2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Launching!

I'd have given much more consideration to HP Tuners if they'd have had a demo available. That was the main reason that I went with EfiLive. It let me mess with the software before spending my money.

I've seen quite a few guys use HP Tuners, and am impressed with the software, but I'm glad that I went with EfiLive. This is not a knock on HP Tuners because I haven't used/needed their forum, but EfiLive's technical support (whether it be their staff or forum) is top notch!

So I vote yes to a demo!
Old 03-02-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Junkie

I think everyone knows my vote.

YES MAKE A DEMO PLEASE!!!
Old 03-03-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I asked for a demo countless times, but went with efilive because they had one.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:05 PM
FormerVendor

A demo is not pointless. Even though a newb may not know anything about tuning they can sitll get a feel for the layout and functionality of the software. Of course no newb is gonna have the first clue about tuning but when reading some of these threads and some tables are mentioned they have the software in hand to at least go and look at it even if they dont quite understand it fully. "Go check out EFILive's Demo" always sounds better than "Well HPT lets see they dont have a Demo for you to try before you buy"
Old 03-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

I didn't vote, because for me it's academic, but HPT should recognize the marketing value of the demo. A lot of people have gone with EFILive just like I did: I downloaded the demo, played around with it, became familiar with the software, and liked it. So when it comes time to buy, why not go with the program you already know and like?

And as somebody said, there isn't a lot a of development involved, because the demo is the real software simply without the cable and the ability to save most changes.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 12secSS
OK, I will bite. As a newbie, no it will not help.
George please don't take this personally, because I really value your input/posts to this site and others but that statement is not constructive at all.

Unless someone is willing to answer your questions...
Isn't that what the forums are for?

... and is familiar with the software and/or you can see what the changes affect, a demo will be useless. Now, if you have used other software and understand what tables do, then yes it can be of benefit.
So essentially if you are not already in the tuning loop then you can just go to the back of the bus.

Once again please don't take my post as a flame job, I only want to point out that a working demo can be of value a to a newb.

I will say this here as well, I am not opposed to an HPT demo, it has become a marketing tool and can be beneficial to novice users. So it is good for HPT to put out a demo. Most of us are not saying "there was NO need for one".
Then just do it.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:06 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I voted no simply because it would have had little impact on what I would buy. I've downloaded EFI's demo version, and it is nice and all, but really, it isn't anything mind-blowing (at least not enough for me to switch over at this point in the game).

HPTuners has a nice forum, and that to me is enough to warrant not having demo software. If you want to see something, just ask for some screen shots, and I'm sure people would post them up. They also have some demos that are nicely done, so it is pretty easy to see what you'd be buying by just going through those.

At this point, people are splitting hairs, and it is getting a bit on the ridiculous side. Both programs are very good at what they do. Bashing one or the other is not called for, regardless of what you are bashing (whether it is the lack of a demo or whatever else). The people that love EFI Live seem to devote a lot of time to shouting at the wind touting their product...but why? Why do I feel like it is the Live people that are the only ones that care about this particular thread?
Old 03-04-2007, 07:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Doc
George please don't take this personally, because I really value your input/posts to this site and others but that statement is not constructive at all.

Isn't that what the forums are for?

So essentially if you are not already in the tuning loop then you can just go to the back of the bus.

Once again please don't take my post as a flame job, I only want to point out that a working demo can be of value a to a newb.

Then just do it.
It's OK Doc, I feel the same way about some post of your's. It is mearly my opinion. For me when I started, a demo would not have been helpfull. In fact, I had a copy of LS1-Edit before HPT, but until I bought HPT and used it on my car, did everything make sense (tables and cause/affect wise). But as others have said, that was the only reason they bought the other software. Oh, and I did not vote, because to me this is a per-basis question ... so I can't say if the next one will benefit from a demo. For me, I didn't, ... but if for someone else they want to make a purchasing decision based on that, fine. No flame taken.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Thanks George, you really are a class act. I understand your position. I just totally disagree. LS1edit scared me. I'd like to buy you a drink some day after a hard day at the track. Cheers!