Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone Interested In 14" Brake Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 07:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Anyone Interested In 14" Brake Kit?

First of all, this is for LS1 cars only and you need to have at least 18" rims. This also isn't intended for race track use, but for street cars.

What I'm trying to do is mount the C6 Z06 rotor which is 14" to the front of the LS1 car and then reuse the stock caliper, PAB and brake pads.

The rotors are only about $90ea, easy to get should just slip right on with no mods.

The hard part is making a adapter to space out the stock PAB one inch and get everything lined up. Then make everything super strong so it will last forever under extreme conditions. This is the hard part I'm undertaking.

Would anyone else be interested in these brackets?

EDIT The: stock calipers won't fit over a rotor that large. It's much easier to bolt the Cadillac CTS-V 4 piston calipers right onto the LS1 spindles. They cost roughly $160 each including pads.

Last edited by JasonWW; 02-18-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't you have enough projects already Jason?

I have the c5 brackets and rotors already but I would definately be interested to see how this goes.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lo_jack
Don't you have enough projects already Jason?
Ehh.
I can't control it. I just get ideas. I'm getting some new rims, probably 19's, so I got thinking about some bigger rotors and stronger brakes. If I can do the whole front for like $400-$500 bucks it would be great. After lots of tests and so forth it may be worth while to produce a batch and sell them, but I'm a long ways from that point.

Originally Posted by lo_jack
I have the c5 brackets and rotors already but I would definately be interested to see how this goes.
Did you cut the spindles? If so my idea won't work for you. If you have the LG kit then it would be fine. I really don't know if I would sell them because it would be a lot of work plus I'm not sure there is a market for them. Most racers run 17" rims, plus folks who already swapped over to the various non-LG brackets would be out in the cold. Well, unless you swaped in a different spindle.

I'm just floating this idea out there to see what kind of interest there is.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI there is a company that already does this and their brackets are $105 for the pair. If you can possibly beat that, then I'd say go for it. Otherwise, you might want to take on another project. Not trying to rain on the parade or anything, but its already been done.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Excellent! Excellent! Please tell me more. PM me if you can't post it.
I didn't really want to have to reinvent the wheel anyway.

Last edited by JasonWW; 03-15-2007 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think I found the ones you mean. From Kore3, right?

I was looking over things and I really don't like their design. It seems prone to twisting.

It also isn't $115, that's just for the brackets, you'll also have to buy new C5 PABs which run about $50 each. So their kit is actually about $215.

The worst part is they say you have to modify the spindle. I think they want you to cut that lower PAB mount on the spindle just like you do with the 13" kits. That sucks. You shouldn't have to do that. In fact they should have used that lower mount to bolt to the bracket. That would help prevent twisting.

Last edited by JasonWW; 05-14-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Got confirmation, that's the kit. I'll probably just get it and then beef it up some.

Consider this thread closed.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Stupid question but is the vette caliper braket not compatible with ls1 cars?
thanks
T
Old 03-15-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

No, they are slightly different. Either caliper should slip into it, though.

If only I could find a 14.5" rotor on the cheap. Then I could use the Z51 bracket. Booya!
Old 03-15-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm afraid I'm going to have to open this back up. I probably won't sell anything, but I'll post up info.

After talking to the guys at Kore3 I've decided that I don't really want to use their setup. I really would be better off using a caliper that was made for a larger diameter rotor, so instead of buying the C5 stuff, I think I'll adapt the 4 piston Brembo's from the CTS-V. I can get the complete caliper with pads and clips for $166 each. All I would need to do is make a bracket to attach them. This seems the much better option in my case.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now THAT is something I'd definitely be interested in. Once the pads on my current C5 kit setup wear out, I'm wanting to go with something bigger or at least better and i'm leaning towards the 14" kit Kore3 offers unless I can find something like what you are talking about doing. Excellent idea!
Old 03-16-2007, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

All the guys at Kore3 have to do is make a new bracket spaced to mount the 4 piston caliper. It's very similar to the F and Y body PAB mounts. See below.

I'm going to ask them about it. Maybe they can do a handfull of these brackets for me and a few others.

You'll need spoke clearance if you want to run the Z06 rotor, though.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone Interested In 14" Brake Kit?-cts-v-calipers.jpg  
Old 03-19-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Jason -yeah I hacked my spindles. But they are easy enough to come by. For the time being my $16 rotors please me.

Those CTS-V calipers are wild. You need someone to waterjet you brackets, is that where this is heading? Or do you still have a rotor source problem as well? I have a place I like for OEM rotors...PM me.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

I see 2 options mainly.
1. I can cut both spindle mounts off and get a partially cut plate from Kore3 that will bolt to the hub, but let's me choose the caliper mounting location.
2. Depending on how close these calipers are to fitting with the stock mounts, I may just weld up the holes and redrill them or mod them in some way that retains their strength while allowing the calipers to just bolt on.

More info here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...6&page=1&pp=20
Old 03-22-2007, 01:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Another interesting option is using a C5 bracket kit, but use the 6 piston Z06 calipers as they will bolt on along with the 14" rotor. That's an easier installation, but the calipers cost about $260 each and I don't know if pads are included or not in that price.

I'm actually considering this as well, but I hate that the pads cost so much. Front needs 12 little pads at about $30 each. It adds up.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I never would have thought to use CTS-V calipers...
Old 03-22-2007, 02:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

It's actually a fairly common caliper made by Brembo and used on ferrari's, lotus's, the viper, evo's, etc... Brembo just changes the mounting lugs and the name/color of it. There are a huge number of pads for it as well. The Porche TT calipers are still probably the best for the hardcore racer, but cost around $1300 pr. These Brembo's are much cheaper and work just as well for street and light track use.

The CTS-V are so attractive due to their price. $166 loaded with pads is very cheap.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JasonWW
It's actually a fairly common caliper made by Brembo and used on ferrari's, lotus's, the viper, evo's, etc... Brembo just changes the mounting lugs and the name/color of it. There are a huge number of pads for it as well. The Porche TT calipers are still probably the best for the hardcore racer, but cost around $1300 pr. These Brembo's are much cheaper and work just as well for street and light track use.

The CTS-V are so attractive due to their price. $166 loaded with pads is very cheap.
Yeah I wonder if the cts-v calipers are the same brembo ones that come on the STI's and 350z Track version..

I would definitly be interested in some sort of bracket if you chose to do that versus the c6 z06 calipers..
Old 04-05-2007, 05:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

After new rims and tires and stuff I may have to do the brake thing on the cheap. My moneys running low.

I'm wondering how much of a difference there is in caliper dimensions as far as the rotor diameter is concerned as opposed to the PAB dimensions? If I use the Kore3 bracket, bought the C5 PABs and mounted them with the 14" Z06 rotor I wonder if the LS1 calipers and pads would fit over it?

If I'm not mistaken the LS1 pads can be modded slightly to fit the C5 PABs as I remember people doing it before. I have these grippy pads that seem to last forever, but they eat rotors for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I would sure like to keep using them to save myself $200 for the front pads.

I do have plenty of clearance for the 4 piston caddy calipers, though:

Something like this would be so awesome, though.

So it's $415 to keep using the stock calipers or $655 plus new brake lines ($?) for the 4 piston setup. So a $240 (plus brake lines) difference, plus some modding of the Kore3 bracket. Or I could just get the caddy calipers and do my own engineering to mount them which would bring the total to $540 which is a $125 difference in cost over using the stock calipers.
Do you guys think the 4 piston fronts are worth the extra money?

Last edited by JasonWW; 04-05-2007 at 05:17 AM.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:50 AM
Launching!

I'd go with the 4-pistons for the BLING factor alone!

Quick Reply: Anyone Interested In 14" Brake Kit?