Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

* final INSTALL PICS of custom single 12" partial well box enclosure *

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default * final INSTALL PICS of custom single 12" partial well box enclosure *

Decided a new thread would be best for this since the other one was loaded with progress pics that probably take forever to load for some people -- just need the new amp for now (which will go on the board immediately to the right of the sub)-- the other one mounted here is for my front components (note that nothing is wired).

- In short, the reason I did this was so that I could run a single 12", maintain trunk space, and have a stealth look by allowing the well cover to cover it when I want to hide it.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that looks good.. i think many people will end up doing a setup like that
Old 06-17-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

looks great, now how bout a write up
Old 06-18-2007, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by transambandit
looks great, now how bout a write up
I thought about something like that but not sure what exactly I would type that could actually be useful -- I can provide dimensions to use as something to guide off of but beyond that, I think it's more just the idea of putting a box there that is most useful to see.

Let me know what you would like to know though if you can think of anything. Install SHOULD be fully done by the end of the week if they ever decide to send me my amp -- sub is currently only on a temporary amp with 500wRMS I'm borrowing from a buddy (thanks Greg). I'll post more pics here after of the amp mounted and the front components (going in today after work).
Old 06-18-2007, 09:58 AM
Teching In

Nice setup. Looks like a pretty clean fit, too. What volume is the box?
Old 06-18-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Purple Hayz
Nice setup. Looks like a pretty clean fit, too. What volume is the box?
It does fit well - the box cannot be moved forward/backward or side to side at all, and the clearance between the sub and the well cover is about .5" at worst so the cover can still be closed without rubbing the woofer suspension at all if it were to be covered. With that said - the net volume is approximately .8 cu. ft. -- I initially designed it to be larger until I realized I still wanted the well cover to close... I did use some fiberglass (not much) within the box to help slightly.

There are ways to make it so that the box is larger though (and I might make another over the next few months). You could either build the box taller, or build it so it sits in front of the hatch release for the trunk and extends more towards the passenger side. My amp will take up most the space over there though, so I'm not even sure how far I could build it that way (we'll see in a week or so). For now though...until something absolutely convinces me that I need a larger box for my needs -- I'm sticking with the slightly cleaner look instead (plus no real motivation right now to mess with getting the exact angle I want again...unless someone wants to sell me a table saw for cheap!).

This is all assuming you want a 12" there -- 10" you might as well build a stealth box....building this for a 10" would defeat the purpose, so I wen't with the 12" anyway. The sub I am running is TC Sounds TC-9 (I considered others, including TC-1000 and Elemental Designs 13Ov.2 -- another driver from TC Sounds, if you have the $$$, is the TC-3000) -- TC-9 looks and sounds great IMO (wont go into details since reading descriptions of sounds is worthless) -- but right now it's hooked up to a 500wRMS amp and being played at lower to moderate levels only. Soon it will get 750+ wRMS.

Last edited by fredmr39; 06-18-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Great explanation. I'm sure you'll be happy with he TC-9 (be sure to feed 'em though!). I was very close to springing for a pair of those or the TC-1000 before I lucked out on a pair of Eclipse 8122s (at $25/per, I couldn't pass).

You know as I think about your box, it looks like you could probably get over 1.5 cft of space by combining your design with the stealth box layout. In other words, simply extending your half-well box into the driver-side space where the stealth set-ups normally go. Hell at that size you might even be large enough run a ported box with some 12's.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Funny I was just thinking of making a box like this myself. I am sick of having no space back there. My current box I built so that I could put the t-tops in front of, but that is a PITA (copied the subthump box).

I was thinking of putting it on the other side so I could use the left side for storage also.

Brian
Old 06-18-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

Yea I have the 130v2 or whatever from subthump in my box and its an awesome sub. Amazed by the power and how hard it hits.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

This is a nice setup. I was pondering how to fit 1 12 in my z as well. Does it cause the cover to rattle at all??
Old 06-19-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Purple Hayz
You know as I think about your box, it looks like you could probably get over 1.5 cft of space by combining your design with the stealth box layout. In other words, simply extending your half-well box into the driver-side space where the stealth set-ups normally go. Hell at that size you might even be large enough run a ported box with some 12's.
I actually thought about that once I realized I had to make the box smaller than I had wanted (actually I was mostly considering extending it downwards into the well between my support rails)-- so far it sounds good though so I still don't know if I should go bigger -- just a PITA but TC-9 seems to be doing well in the box so far.

00PewterSS -- I thought about that side as well - ended up going with driver's side because I wanted to store my smaller amp in there and cover that space up -- also have my spare in so I wanted to be able to access that easier if needed and I figured there was enough weight on the passenger side already..

Dip Stick -- do you have a well enclosure? or stealth.....you don't have the 13Ov.2 in a stealth box, do you?

speedy_2 -- haven't tried it with the cover up yet -- I would on my lunch or ride home from work, but everything is ripped apart - no front or hatch speakers (or door panels/other pieces including well-cover) .....I should play it actually and try to identify the songs by the bass...
Old 06-19-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

no have a pair of them in a t top enclosure.. and its awesome.. blows away my old RF HE-2's.

Subthump said they were good speakers for small cu. in. areas and iwas skeptical.. but they made me a believer. So just wondered if you looked into them for a single 10 ro 12.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dip Stick

Subthump said they were good speakers for small cu. in. areas and iwas skeptical.. but they made me a believer. So just wondered if you looked into them for a single 10 ro 12.
hey're definitely awesome subs -- and I had planned on 13Ov.2 initially - however my box ended up at ~.8 cu.ft.....and though they suggest a minimum box size of .7cu.ft. for their 12" and TC-9 wants .8cu.ft as their smallest, the TC-9 was the better choice for my box. Most important is the very high bl the TC-9 driver has.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedy_2
This is a nice setup. I was pondering how to fit 1 12 in my z as well. Does it cause the cover to rattle at all??
Tried it with the cover up today (accidentally actually) and had the sub hitting hard -- I looked back to see how much it was moving and couldn't see it because I had the cover up -- I didn't notice any difference in sound or rattling (I expected to...there MUST be some sort of rattle if you're back there listening though -- the clearance is just too little for there not to be...).
Old 07-07-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Box and amp board possibly for sale soon -- would need 2 boards/rails/whatever you can think of to run across the well for them to sit on to make this work.

Reason: I was not satisfied with the TC-9 driver and will be getting a TC-2000 instead, thus needing/wanting a larger box.

Quick Details: sealed, ~.85 cu.ft without a driver installed, fiberglass included if desired, 11" cutout diameter

PM if interested or if you have questions -- more build/install photos available here: http://picasaweb.google.com/fredmr
Old 07-07-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You should try going with a ported box with the TC-9 before you buy another driver. It will be cheaper to experiment with a ported box first You can also experiment with a different amp, give it a little more power
Old 07-08-2007, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 95bat
You should try going with a ported box with the TC-9 before you buy another driver. It will be cheaper to experiment with a ported box first You can also experiment with a different amp, give it a little more power
Cheaper experiment = building another box and buying a larger amp???

$30 shipping charge back to TC in exchange for a TC-2000 is the route I've decided upon. I know the TC-9 would sound awesome in a ported box...but then the TC-2k would sound better than that... I was under the impression that the TC-9 was designed specifically for smaller sealed enclosures... but apparently is the only driver they make that wont sound its best in sealed applications.

Back to the different amp approach/more power..... that's the current problem -- too much power in various sealed enclosures causes it to become very un-linear and distort -- I know porting would cut down on excursion -- but the TC-2k gives me 10 more mm of excursion to play with before I decide to port.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fredmr39
Cheaper experiment = building another box and buying a larger amp???

$30 shipping charge back to TC in exchange for a TC-2000 is the route I've decided upon. I know the TC-9 would sound awesome in a ported box...but then the TC-2k would sound better than that... I was under the impression that the TC-9 was designed specifically for smaller sealed enclosures... but apparently is the only driver they make that wont sound its best in sealed applications.

Back to the different amp approach/more power..... that's the current problem -- too much power in various sealed enclosures causes it to become very un-linear and distort -- I know porting would cut down on excursion -- but the TC-2k gives me 10 more mm of excursion to play with before I decide to port.
Cheaper experiment is just building another box That will cost ya less than $30.
The amp is just an alternative route.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 95bat
Cheaper experiment is just building another box That will cost ya less than $30.
The amp is just an alternative route.
well......$30 already spent to ship it back to TC -- yea that would've been cheaper....but after hearing it in various sealed boxes -- TC-9 doesn't deserve a second chance (though I hear it really is nice in ported enclosures)
Old 07-09-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the TC-2000 is based off the TC2+ motor, which used to be the little brother of the TC-9.

Hopefully you'll like the TC-2000 I can't wait until I can afford to build something nice in my car with a pair of 15" TC-2000s or 3000s, havn't decided yet.