Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBX Headers?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default OBX Headers?????

Anyone have the stainless steel OBX long tube headers on their car?? If so are they any good? Let me know what you guys think...
Old 07-31-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

tttop
Old 07-31-2007, 01:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tainted swears by these headers!! I have read it is a hit or miss in a couple of threads!
I got pace Lt's from maryland speed, they are a sponsor on the left column
------>>>
They are JetHot coated inside and out, and carry a lifetime warranty.
Just my 02 cents.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

oh boy,,thats wrong,,,,,,he is a XS headers man,,or whatever,,not an OBX header. There are alot of recent threads on OBX,, even this one, !! https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/743887-obx-headers-install.html
Old 07-31-2007, 03:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
oh boy,,thats wrong,,,,,,he is a XS headers man,,or whatever,,not an OBX header. There are alot of recent threads on OBX,, even this one, !! https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743887
Sorry if Im wrong, gotta ask that lil ****! I could of swore he had them..
Old 07-31-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, taint likes the xs headers, not the obx. I dont know about the obx but i do have the xs headers and i like them
Old 07-31-2007, 07:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
Yea, taint likes the xs headers, not the obx. I dont know about the obx but i do have the xs headers and i like them
OHH bOY I can see all the wtf were u thinking pm's lol
Old 08-03-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Try a search on them. I have at least two post on them. I have had mine for almost a year and have had no problems. They sound great IMO with the magna flow catback. I have a post with the sound.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Banned

this is what thet siad about them i think id go with a differnt brand

Alright here is the low down. I finished the install today. Granted i had a lift to work with. Was a tough job getting it all together but it sounds orgasmic.

Anyways here is the scoop. The OBX headers were very easy to install other than the Y-pipe assembly. Ill explain

First I removed my SLP loudmouth catback and the stock Y pipe. (had to break the bolts on the manifolds unfortunately). I removed the spark plug wires and coil packs, EGR valve and injection pipes. Then removed both manifolds and also the steering column assembly on the driver side. Very important to get the clearance. Very easy to do, only two bolts. After installing both headers I had to remove the heat shield on the passenger side for clearance issues. no biggie right! No more cats no more inferno....

Now the messed up part. The band clamps that come with the kit are crap. If you do the install buy a new set of band clamps because the y-pipe just butts up with all the other pieces of the puzzle. I had to assemble the entire assembly on the ground and then lift it up into place to get everything in order and fitted with those clamps.

the next thing I noticed was that the y-pipe is hitting the crossmember behind the transmission. go figure huh! lol

Well I installed my SLP exhaust onto the OBX y pipe assembly and then started working with clearances. Everything is clearing nicely except for the exhaust and the crossmember.

As for the O2 stuff well I didnt want to buy O2 extension harness so I made my own in the shop. (actually i forgot to buy the extension harness and well this is what I had to do) I took two of my old o2 sensors and cut the harness and soldered the old harness to the new and well problem solved.

For the rear O2s I bought the O2 'sims' on ebay for 20 bucks shipped which extend then O2s out. No check engine light

Another problem I found was with the EGR valve. My EGR valve assembly has one old *** tube that looks like **** and doesnt move connected to the passenger side headers and doesnt allow me to actually bolt the assembly to the block.

Other than that I love the sound, other than the exhaust leaks because of the crappy band clamps. new ones coming soon. Throttle response is great and its actually not that much louder at idle than stock.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Regular

They are basically FLP knock-off's. Hit up bigjpyn on norcal-ls1.com. He can get them for $440. I've seen them and they are a great set of longtubes, especially with the catted-y all for $440. That's a hard price to beat.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Launching!

OBx headers are great, my friend has them. the welds look amazing on them and are overall just as good as any others in my opinion, except with obx you dont have to pay that extra $400 just for the name!
Old 08-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

ya i have a friend that put them on this spring and they work great. He put the GMMG exhaust behind it. ooooooo sounds awesome!

Quick Reply: OBX Headers?????