Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Jersey (or Philly) folks

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 06:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Jersey (or Philly) folks

Chances are this week I'll accept an offer for a job in Cherry Hill, NJ. I've heard some crazy things about Jersey already (property taxes and car insurance through the roof). Is it better to live in PA? I'll need an area with a nice neighborhood and great schools. I don't mind a 20-30 min commute, but that's about it. Any thoughts? suggestions? warnings? Know a good RE agent?

My SS has the ORY and the stinking blinkers don't work for some reason. Will I have a hard time getting it tagged in either state?

Also, do you need a front tag? I've ripped off the black thing and have a billet grille. How about window tint? I have 35% all around.

I'm waiting for the email from the NJ F-body club I saw in some sigs.

Thanks.

Last edited by ChriSSMD; 08-21-2007 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

despite nj taxes and insurance- philly is so expesnive its still way cheaper to live in snj. You can live in the burlington or maple shade area pretty cheap by philly stantards and cherry hill is close drive. If you lived in anywhere Pa a 20 commute aint gonna happen.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:21 AM
TECH Regular

nj requires a front tag
tint is illegal on the front two windows. no matter what percent.
i grew up in burlington. i wouldnt say its the nicest neighborhood.
maple shade and mt. holly are pretty expensive.
voorhees is a nice area. little pricey but nice.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:36 AM
Staging Lane

Every FBODY in NJ has a front tag and no tint? Wow...that stinks. I ripped the black thing off the front of the car. I'm not sure I can put my tag back on.

Thanks for the responses. Please keep'em coming.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont know how much you are planning to spend on a home or apartment, but you could try the newtown/yardley area in PA. Its right near 95, Cherry Hill shouldnt be more than 40 minutes from there.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

Sure everyone else from Jersey and New York are moving here to live, what's one more...
Old 08-21-2007, 11:38 AM
11 Second Club

PA has an easier inspection...its way more laxed. emissions is cake...no codes and your engine light isnt coming on, your pass.
the law says tint is illegal here also but it passes pa inspection if its 35% or lighter. if your cool with the techs, they dont care what % it is..."windows were down when i inspected it"
Old 08-21-2007, 12:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

South Jersey isn't that bad. Car insurance will probably still be high. I live in central Jersey... Now thats the killer! However that area of your possible new job is very affordable, with nice open land and roads!
Old 08-21-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

windows down doesnt work. i tried it, they rolled them up, and failed me for tint. so i just went somewhere, paid a guy.......hush hush...
**** the DMV, they suck dirty *****. youll need cats also, they do a visual check. if we're VERY lucky, they will repeal the front plate this year. theres a bill going through as we speak to get rid of front plates, last i heard. kee your fingers crossed. if your camaro isnt a daily driver, then get collector registration. 2500 miles a year, no other inspection whatsoever. if youre moving here, its worth it to get a work beater and keep the camaro in the garage for weekends, even with our insurance. i have completely black tint, and no plate (trans am). only been hassled once in about 3-4yrs of pleasure driving about the plate. nothing with the tint yet, going on 2yrs.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if you make 6 figures you can live here comfortably. otherwise id recommend staying where youre at.

property taxes, car ins. and housing are all ridiculous here. its nice here during the summer and most areas are safe and theres a ton of fbody people so not everything is bad. just most things.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:07 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys. It looks like the SS will be a collector car as I have a DD.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:49 AM
Teching In

there is no way PA is more expensive to live then NJ. Maybe in the heart of Philly but thats abt it. I would DEF live in PA if I worked in Cherry Hill. NJ fkin sucks as far as stupid car laws and unbelievable car insurance. Move to the sticks of PA. Youll enjoy your life better lol.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:03 AM
TECH Resident

I agree with meanie. I work with a lot of guys that commute 45 minutes to philly just so they don't have to put up with jersey, all their high taxes and expensive houses. move into a more remote area in PA and you'll be enjoying life. Though it's going to be a little farther since philly is right across the bridge from cherry hill. You could always go into delaware, what is it? about 50 minutes from cherry hill? Sure it's cheaper to live there than PA or Jersey though.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

dude, if you're looking for a 20-30 min commute you're going to hard pressed on where to live, most everyone i know in NJ says that if you're under an hour, you're doing well.

Live in PA, it's much more citizen friendly than the "People's Republic of NJ" and car insurance in NJ is very rough.

Born and raised here in NJ so that's my .02
Old 08-24-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

lots of nj supporters here.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

you guys are smoking on home prices. Im sorry but the s-nj area is much cheaper than a nice Pa neighborhood. Yeah, its cheap to live near reading but the guy works in CH. Philly suburban home prices are some of highest in country. Price out a home in Gladwyne or Bryn mawr sometime. Makes haddonfield look like a bargain.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think SJ housing is that high, especially compared to Philly, and I disagree that you need to make a 6 figure salary to live in SJ (I don't make 6 figures and I get by okay). I am in a very nice townhome community in Williamstown which is also nice because I go to A.C. a lot and I am close to the A.C. expressway. Also, my property taxes and car insurance are not that bad.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

a lot of the complaints about jersey are more hype than fact.
a ton of guys roll around with with tint and no front plate. it all depends what mood the cop who puls you over is in and how you act towards them that will determine if you get a ticket or not.
there are also a lot of places that will help you with inspection for a small fee.
property taxes in NJ are higher than many states, but there also aren't a bunch of fees tacked onto them like in most other states. the reality is they are only a few percent higher than taxes in other high population areas.

if you wanna see what all is local hit up www.NJFBOA.org , i am sure we have some members in the areas you are looking at that can help you find everything you need.