Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe

Well besides my introduction a couple or so weeks back, I have been scouring multitudes of info on different swaps, tip etc. Lots of great information on this sight and I am sure I havent even touched a majority of it. trying to find information specific to some things and then ended up getting side tracked on other items I will be facing as well down the road in this conversion.

First of I have a 2004 GTO LS1/4L60E setup that is going into a 1948 Chevy Fleetmaster Coupe. The LSX engine is new to me, I have twisted wrenches for 20+ years, I am used to dealing with small blocks, big blocks, but I am picking up things as I go along.

1. The GTO engine mounts that came with the engine are a tad to wide (rubber mount part), where as someone posted about using the corvette engine bisket mounts, Does anyone have any info on these, (part numbers, dimensions) the block mounts are perfect and with some new smaller pads would be ideal and an easy fab for me to make frame mounts. I know that S&P sells these but so far anything I have seen on there sight I can usually get for half as much going through GM Parts Direct. They list the Camaro oil pan setup for $375, I purchased everything (pan, dipstick tube, dipstick, pickup, wind pan for around $240)

2. The ecm that came with the system Service #12586243, states that it is to be used with a DBW throttle body, the throttle body was replaced with a manual setup before I got the engine and can this part be deleted out of the ECM or do I have to swap the ECM out to an earlier unit, money is on the tight side and I figure it would be far cheaper replacing the ecm vs getting a new TB setup and gas pedal assembly.

3. because I don't have to worry about any emissions I want to remove any non essential item, EGR, Cats, Secondary O2 Sensors, is ther anything else that can be removed from the system?

4. who or what make of car would have the tightest fitting LT headers, I haven't got to the point of installing the motor yet due to the GTO oil pan was in the way and will have to wait till I recieve the camaro oil. on initial fitting it looks like even the stock GTO manifolds will be tight, but will know more once I can get the engine to a point of a good fit.

5. Cylinder heads, I have yet to find a topic concerning best stock production LS1,2,6 etc cylinder heads for performance. Due to the fact this car in stock fashion curb weight was less than 3200lbs and I wouldn't be surprised after all the changes from the differnet frontend, possibly lighter engine/trans combo it may even get down to 3000lbs, So I am not going real radical on performance, somewhere around 375-400rwhp, for this I am going with the Voodoo 222/228 567/567 113lsa cam, 4.11 gearing, small stall and some stage 1/2 heads from Livernoise, the car probally wont see the track with the exception of a Nalstagia drag weekend.

Last edited by LS1 Coupe; 02-21-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome,.. sounds like a great project.

#1... I would think the the Vette setup could work out for you, else the adapter plates with SBC motor mounts to some standard swap frame mounts for a SBC would work.

#2... I would suggest calling John at Speartech or Jesse at Wait4meperformance to talk over all of your PCM needs for the DBW or manual TB setup. They can handle flashing of a performace tune and deleting everything not needed.

#3...Just tell them you don't need to worry about any emmission and that you will be removing everything. (I used Jesse at Wait4mepreformance)

#4...I think for LT Headers, that you are on your own on this. custom might be the only route... you might try shorty or block huggers as they are about as tight as stock manifolds, but that all depend on how tight your frames are to the engine. If your going the stock manifold, check out if you have clearance of the x-member, as far as the exit location, center or rear facing exhaust. Vette ones are more in the center, F-Body are more rear exiting. All of them can be found cheap on the for sale forums.

#5... I think you have the right idea on the performance of the engine and cam setup.. shouldn't need much at that weight. With that LSA, its going to sound mean..! There are many H/C package that will work out great for you be it stock, modified or aftermarket.

The only bad thing I have found on doing a newer engine with all of the EFI stuff in a more classic Hot Rod is that the traditional Hot Rodder seem to shun us a bit as being not traditional hot rodders.. (no carbs, tunnel rams, roots blower, etc and all of that setup). But they are coming around.

Keep us posted and some pictures !
Old 09-04-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the Corvette aluminum engine mount brackets and the oil filled bisquits, it worked out perfectly in my 1935 Ford sedan and you can't even feel the engine running.
If your stock GTO exhaust manifolds don't work out, take a look at the Corvette factory manifolds. I'm using the 1997 Corvette "sheet metal" manifolds which work out very well.
I only run the required engine sensors with the two forward oxygen sensors providing mixture info. I am using the old F body 1998 ECM.

I get grief from the "traditional" hot rod crowd all the time. But to me, it's worth it.....my car will smoke 90% of their cars and still get over 25 mpg!!!
Attached Thumbnails LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-img_0158-small-.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-dscn2034-small-.jpg  
Old 09-04-2007, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info, I had done quite a few searches on the internet and came across Wait4meperformance and seemed impressed for what they offer, and probally will be talking to them as I go along, right know the ecm & wiring isn't a huge issue, getting the front & rear suspension and fitment of the whole engine/trans into the body is my primary concerns at this point. Once the engine is somewhat fitted I will have a better idea of what my options will be for exhaust. As far as traditional goes, around here I know quite a few people who know that I am not fixed to old school in my hotrods, I don't follow tradition, I follow my own way of thinking of what I want or how I want things. I will try and get some pictures up this weekend of progress on the coupe, I will also post some picks of my 67C10 with a 427sbc putting down a mild 425rwhp and 443rwtq, the frame was completely hand made by me 3 years ago, a 55 Plymouth Belevedere I picked up last year and went completly from one end to the other, it has a flathead 6 with duel exhaust, duel carbs, an aluminum finned head and the cam I had Clay Cams put a little extra grind on. When I first got the car guys just shook their heads, everyone was say put a hemi in it but I decided on just using the flatty because I wanted something different, when I pop the hood at shows or cruise nights the car gets many nods from both young and old because I went a little different way of the traditional hot rodders V8.

Oscar, Do you have any info for the dimensions of the oil filled bsiquets that are used in the Vette and yrs. I stopped by the Chevy dealer today and he didn't have any in stock that I could look at. The GTO also used oil filled biscuits but where to big OD and wouldnt clear the frame.

Last edited by LS1 Coupe; 09-05-2007 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are pretty big, I'd say 4-4.5" in diameter. You can just see the mount in this photo. I fabricated pads coming off the rear of my MII crossmember for the mounts.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-reng3_edited-small-.jpg  
Old 09-05-2007, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Oscar Will
They are pretty big, I'd say 4-4.5" in diameter. You can just see the mount in this photo. I fabricated pads coming off the rear of my MII crossmember for the mounts.
Those bisquits look a little smaller than the GTO's, I will have to measure mine out tomorrow. You also look like you have a tad more room than I do. I plan on fabricating some pads off of the cross member as well with some gussets to the frame. I had stopped the GM sealer yesterday and prices wher $86ea on pre 2005 aqnd $92 for 05 & up.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

I thought I would update some info, Finally got the Camaro oil pan on and was able to fit the motr into the frame. Couldn't use the stock GTO engine mounts because they where setting about 2" below the frame, so I made up my own and used some Bisket mounts that I got from http://www.sachserodshop.com/pdf/5.pdf. I talked with Kookscustom about the possiblity of some headers, after talking back and forth and taking some picks and measurements he suggested the fbody headers, got them in this morning and they fit, p-side has about an inch whereas the d-side asbout a 1/4" of space. next up is fitting the nose back on and trying to get the steering hooked up. This is gonna be fun because now I have to figure away around the header to get to the R&P. Then onto the rear suspension. Also sent out my wiring harness and ECM out to wait4me performance to have them cleanup the harness and reprogram the ECM for the new cam/gearing/tires etc.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LS1Coupe... sounds like your got a few things resolve and are moving along now.. keep us posted .. I think you have a great project going.

Glad to see that the F-body header will work out, that will save you a bunch of $$$,...

I used wait4meperformance.. so hope it works out as smooth as mine did. no problem and started on 1st try !
Old 10-21-2007, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

Default Some pics of progrees

I thought I might share some picks of the car and where I am at with the project. Having big holdup with American Racing wheels CL205 series, going with 18" in rear and 17" on Front. I have had wheels on order know since beginning of Spetember but they keep getting back ordered. I had ordered from Summit but killed the order when I found out I wouldnt be seeing them untill the very end of November. I ordered them through someone else and ended up saving $400 plus getting free lugnuts/valve stems and free shipping, this has held up the installation of the 12 bolt rear in the car for proper fitting. I picked up a 67 Chevy C10 12 bolt and cut it down. I will be doing a complete overhaul of the differential using some Moser axles, new 3.73 gears and Eaton Posi. The wiring harness and ECM came back from Wait4Me performance and looks good. Havent installed yet due to too many other things going on and needing to get other things done first like the firewall and trans tunnel. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will have found some type of shifter, what to use for heating, steeing hooked up and start on laying out the wiring.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-1.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-3.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-4.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-2.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-5.jpg  

LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-6.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-7.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-8.jpg  
Old 10-21-2007, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

The first set of picks is the body when I forst got it and start stripping it down. These next bunch are gtting the motor placed, orginal firewall hacking, etc.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-9.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-10.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-11.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-12.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-13.jpg  

LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-14.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-15.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-16.jpg  
Old 10-21-2007, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Next group of picks is getting the steering likage hooked up to the R&P and working around the Kooks LT's, fabbing up an Alternator bracket. I started on the firewall build, the firewall is temporary with rivets holding everything in place, once I have all pieces set, the firewall will be glued and all holes spot weld filled along with some interior spot welds for additional strength. Some floor peices had to be replced due to my over cutting of the orginal firewall to get the motor and trans placed. I think the new firewall looks much better, the orginal had mega holes on it, it looked like someone orginally tried fitting the Heater unit in multiple places. Also is the installtion of the cross member setup.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-17.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-18.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-19.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-20.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-21.jpg  

LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-22.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-23.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-24.jpg  
Old 10-21-2007, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Wink

this last group is the worst, all the killer rust on this old buggy. The other bad part of the body is the dent in the LF Feder and dented grill. I guess it could be worse!
Attached Thumbnails LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-rust1.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-rust2.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-rust3.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-rust4.jpg  
Old 10-21-2007, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

I sent you a pm
Old 10-22-2007, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 48

Looks good, I'll post some updates when I make some progress on my 41.

I have an 04 GTO too, so if you have any questions about that set up let me know.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Here's a link to some of my pics. Its the 1947 Chevy Fleetmaster album.

http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p101/bills56chevy/
Old 10-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Looking Good, I'm curently putting a 5.3 with 700r4 into a 1942 chev coupe. I'm glad to finally see the actual picture of fatmans m2 crossmember I'm sold I'll be calling in my order. Is it best to order direct from fatman or is there somewhere else on the web to pick one up cheaper. Did you buy the trans crossmember or is that custom fab? Keep up the good work can't wait to see more pics
Old 10-22-2007, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 5.3coupe
Looking Good, I'm curently putting a 5.3 with 700r4 into a 1942 chev coupe. I'm glad to finally see the actual picture of fatmans m2 crossmember I'm sold I'll be calling in my order. Is it best to order direct from fatman or is there somewhere else on the web to pick one up cheaper. Did you buy the trans crossmember or is that custom fab? Keep up the good work can't wait to see more pics
No discounts going through anyone else so it's usually just as easy to call them and order it direct, this way if there are any issues you don't have to go through any middle man. I also have ther custom setup in my 67C10 going on 3yrs w/no issues. I ordererd mine with the upgraded Willwood kit (12.19Disks & 4 Piston Calipers). I also ordered the front sway bar but dont think I will be using it, front end is pretty stiff with the Aluminum block, havent had everything on it yet to see where it is going to finally sit yet either.. Oh of special note: he also gives you the cross member for the radiator support that you will need.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Default More ????'s

Just looking over some more of the pics the motor mount setup looks killer would you be intrested in making another set and selling them??? what made you go with the camaro oil pan I'm hoping to be able to use my stock truck oil pan if clearance allows thanks in advance
Old 02-21-2008, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Default Updating some progress

Here is some progress, I finally finshed the firewall and tunnel, all loose sheet metal doors, fenders, hood, trunk, etc went out and got blasted on first trip to the blaster then they where dropped off at the body shop. While all that went out my wheels finally came in so I could setup the differential for proper fit and then the body came off and went to the blaster and then it went to the body shop. Once the rear Differentiial was cut and fitted and the rest of the rear suspension was setup the rearend (GM 12 bolt) went out to make sure ring & pinion had proper depth & clearence, all new gears, bearings, seals and posi where installed prior to drop off, I just needed the ring & pinion setup. While the that was happening I made another trip out to the blaster to have the frame completely blasted the same afternoon. It then came back and got 2 coats of Eastwoods encapsilation paint and then proceded to put front and rest of suspension back together. The body should be ready for the frame to roll under in 2 weeks.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-25.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-26.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-27.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-28.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-29.jpg  

LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-30.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-31.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-32.jpg  
Old 02-21-2008, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Default MOre Pics

These are body shots,
Attached Thumbnails LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-389.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-399.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-34.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-35.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-36.jpg  

LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-37.jpg  

Quick Reply: LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe