LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

steam tube- routing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 01:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steam tube- routing?

hey guys. i have an lt1 in my 1986 monte and i need to add the head steam tube. instead of the $60 ugly stock lines i will be using an hose. im not sure what size it should be, but i think 6 an should be appropriate. my question is, after the tube leaves the passenger side head, where is it routed? i do not have an lt1 radiator, so could i just tee it in with the overflow nipple and overflow tank? thanks guys
Old 09-18-2007, 09:29 AM
TECH Veteran

I think gravity has a lot to do with it but I'm not an engineer. On the LT1 radiator, it goes on the nipple a couple inches below the overflow nipple. Sounds like your idea will work but don't take it as gospel. How are you fitting the lines on the back of heads? The stock setup is a like a banjo bolt thing. Are you using bulkhead fittings on each head and then teeing the hoses back there?
Old 09-18-2007, 11:17 AM
Launching!

I think 4 an would be plenty. The stock line is pretty small. After it leaves the heads, it usually runs on the pass. side of the intake up to the radiator. A T in the overflow should work, the stock radiator hook up is just below the overflow hook up.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Launching!

I just did an lt1 swap in a jeep, and threaded a hole in the thermostat housing, screwed a barb/1/4npt fitting in and and ran it to that. street & performance had an article on 1st gen camaro swaps, and thats how they recommended it. I am in the process of putting an lt1 in a 69 camaro right now, and will be using that method agian. I had read you cannot just tie it to the overflow, because on an old type system it will just fill it up. here is the link to the s&p article
http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PDFFILES/re...t%20camaro.pdf
Old 09-18-2007, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 12thstreetjunkman
I just did an lt1 swap in a jeep, and threaded a hole in the thermostat housing, screwed a barb/1/4npt fitting in and and ran it to that. street & performance had an article on 1st gen camaro swaps, and thats how they recommended it. I am in the process of putting an lt1 in a 69 camaro right now, and will be using that method agian. I had read you cannot just tie it to the overflow, because on an old type system it will just fill it up. here is the link to the s&p article

i appreciate it man. great swap info. but i think we are talking about two different things. im not worried about coolant from the throttle body, as my throttle body doesnt even have a provision for coolant. what i saw in that article was them tapping a hole from the tb to the thermo housing. im talking about the steam tube that goes from the two heads to the radiator on a stock lt1 to vent steam that forms in the heads
Old 09-18-2007, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

and that does make sense, i dont see why it wouldnt just fill up the line when coolant flows to the overflow tank
Old 09-19-2007, 08:45 AM
Launching!

The line that runs off the back of the heads, is the same one that runs through the tb, y's off the heads, runs down the pass side of the intake, runs through the tb, then to the rad. I has a pretty good flow of coolant through it. I just put some hose on the metal pipe before it goes into the tb, and skipped that, then ran that to the t-stat housing.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

The line that runs off the back of the heads, is the same one that runs through the tb, y's off the heads, runs down the pass side of the intake, runs through the tb, then to the rad. I has a pretty good flow of coolant through it. I just put some hose on the metal pipe before it goes into the tb, and skipped that, then ran that to the t-stat housing.

aaaaah i see. thank you sir

but wait, why doesnt the coolant in the t-stat housing just fill the steam hose into the heads?

Quick Reply: steam tube- routing?