Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new edelbrock A body LS conversion package coming out in 08

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new edelbrock A body LS conversion package coming out in 08

Hey, sorry if this is a repeat....but I just got back from SEMA and Edelbrock is publishing that it is coming out with a complete A Body conversion package for LS motors - engine mounts, headers, their engine control system, and exhaust system - I am a fan of Edelbrock parts and am looking forward to seeing what this package has to offer.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

Interesting info. THis is the first I have heard of it. Will be intersting to see just how comprehensive it is not to mention their price.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Here's a link to the kit I found on edelbrock's page. Go to page 21. Kinda wondering if the stock pan will work with the kit ?

http://www.edelbrock.com/images/home/npb_2008.pdf
Old 11-13-2007, 06:25 AM
TECH Regular

LOVE the headers. I was hoping someone would make a set of (what I hope will be) affordable steps.

Don't see it addressing those that want to run A/C (frame notch)..... Appears to be just another kit.....albeit with an exhaust...
Old 11-13-2007, 07:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same plates everyone else makes with a little extra cnc work. Just a new exhaust solution/competition on the market.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Resident

I like the fact that the headers have a ball type flange. I know its not ideal for flow but its not enough of a restriction to cause an issue for something like a heads cam LS1 swap.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the interest in the Edelbrock LS series engine conversion system. I am the engineer who did the actual work for the mounting the engine, headers, and the header back exhaust system. I will check in from time to time to answer any questions that I can.

The engine mounting plates are not like most of the others currently on the market, the Edelbrock Engine Conversion plates PN 6701 are made to place the engine as close to the original location for a small block Chevy. The engine is only moved forward approximatly 3/8" where as the others move the engine up to 1 1/2" forward, causing a poor weight balance which these car don't need. The engine location with the Edelbrock Engine Mounting plates is such that the original driveshaft can be used, along with the column shifter linkage. The Edelbrock plates are constructed of 3/8" H.R. steel that will be zinc plated for rust protection, there are weight reduction holes in the plate to keep the weight inline with aluminum. Mounting of the A/C compressor is always going to be an issue with these vehicles due to frame design, but how many customers are going to try to adapt the LS engine's compressor to the old POV A/c system these vehicles came with, there are many companies out there that have addressed the front drive accessories so we left that part to the customers.

The oil pan the system used was the Milodon PN 30915, there wasn't a factory pan that I found that fit the chassis correctly at this time (tried the f-body and CTS) but pan modifcation is still an option. Oil pan mods should not require the cut of the sump like other engine mounting does (which you will lose the windage tray), there are other pans on the market that I believe will work but I have not tried them (let me know so I can add them to the instructions)

Header back is also constructed of 409 SS and is 2 1/2 from the head pipes to the tailpipes, it has a true X-pipe built into the system. The Edelbrock Header Back PN 5774 has multiple options for tailpipe in the kit, there is a pair of polished 304 SS tips (PN 5582), a turn down at the bumper or the pipes can be routed under the bumper, this can be done with just cutting of the tail pipes supplied. There are no crush style exhaust clamps in the Edelbrock Header Back, all the clamps and hangers have a band style for a long duration and ease to service. The header back has been designed along with the headers for maximum ground clearance, there is a system on my 68 Chevelle (I have a standard Small Block) that is lowered with the Edelbrock/Eibach springs and I have yet to hit the pipes on parking lot speed bumps.

The headers are constructed of 409 SS in 1 3/4" to 1 7/8" primaries to 3 1/2" collectors, this sizing should give the best performance for most engines. The system will work very well with larger LS series or superchargered applications. The connection at the collector is a ball gasket style and does not restrict flow in anyway, it has a flow path the same as any 3 bolt collector without the horrid flanges. The port flanges are made of 3/8" steel for a leak proof application, this is the same flanges Edelbrock Exhaust has used on its LS1 Camaro T.E.S. and shorty headers for years.

The complete conversion kit for the 1968 - 1972 A-body PN 6754 includes the headers, engine mounting plates, and the header back with Edelbrock Sound Deflection Technology mufflers. The kit as well as the individual components come with all the hardware (as in nuts, bolts, gaskets, and hangers) that is need to install. There are no electronics in this kit because this system can be used with either fuel injection or one of Edelbrocks Carburator intake mainfolds, which is available with the Timing Control Module. There will be a system for the 1964 - 1967 in the works very soon, along with 1st and 2nd Generation F-bodies to folow soon.

I hope that I have answered any question you may have, and I will be happy answer anyones you may still have.

Last edited by EdelExh; 11-19-2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

I guess my biggest question right off would be what price range are you targeting?
Old 11-19-2007, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Pete I don't want to quote an inaccurate price and I don't know what retail on the system is right now. I will try to get you that information ASAP.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The #6754 kit will have a retail price of $1,415.87, complete.

The components will also be available separately as well:
-Motor Mounts #6701, $49.87/set
-Headers #65073, $608.87
-Header-back exh, includes x-pipe and multiple tail-pipe options #5774, $759.87

Click here for image:

Thx
Old 11-19-2007, 06:05 PM
10 Second Club

Karl, have you guys looked into making a set of headers for the third gen f-bodies LSX swap to compete against the Stainless Steel Works headers which to my knowledge are the only ones on the market and are a little pricey at $800 ?

sorry for being a little off topic
Old 11-19-2007, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Can someone PLEASE tell me why headers cost so damn much now-a-days? Do we, as hotrodders, really need stainless steel headers? OK, they don't rust and will last a lifetime. Do I really NEED a header that will outlive me, and my son, and maybe my grandson, and probably the car they are attached too, why? What are the technical reasons for a stainless header. This better be good.........................
Old 11-19-2007, 11:48 PM
TECH Resident

I find the $600 for the headers to be very reasonable when I consider that I paid more than that for my non-stainless coated Hookers. The hookers were a bit unreasonable on price but being stainless the edelbrocks make sense. Do you need stainless headers? probably not but its nice to now have 3 different options for A-body headers on the market. Wish you guys would have been there sooner for me but being stepped, I have my eye on the headers as a future upgrade.

Last edited by pist0lpete; 11-19-2007 at 11:56 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by classic gary
Can someone PLEASE tell me why headers cost so damn much now-a-days? Do we, as hotrodders, really need stainless steel headers? ............. What are the technical reasons for a stainless header. ...................
anybody ??
Old 11-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Staging Lane

Gary, I hear you on the higher costs of building cars today. With headers one of the things that has most driven costs up is the price of steel has gone up quite a bit in the last 2 to 3 years, and I mean alot. Stainless Steel is what most customers now want now and the market has to drive the manufactures as to what is built and what materials it will be constructed of in the case of headers. Consumers over the last few years have made the switch to stainless for the exact reason you sited, they want a header that will last a lifetime or longer. Looking at it from a cost stand point would you rather have a cheaply made mild steel header you either have to maintain every few years (or sooner) and replace after maybe 10 to 12 year for 350.00 or pay 650.00 and have them last for basicly longer than the engine in the vehicle? New engines like the fuel injected LS series run much higher exhaust tempetures than the old carburetor days, the fuel today is much more harsh on mild steel as well.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the response. now for my next question. with higher exhaust temps, is there a problem with metal fatigue especially in the area of the collector. I've seen a few collectors with cracks and the metal turned color (different from at the head). I'm guessing that COULD BE A TUNING PROBLEM?
Old 11-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

With the ECU ability to adjust timing and leaner mixtures the exhaust temps started to climb. On a carbureted engine with a timing control module that didn't allow the retard function you would have lower exhaust temp, but then you will be giving away power and efficiency over the long run the money saved with mild steel would be given away to lost mileage. You still would need to replace the headers after 10 to 12 years from rusting and errosion in the tubes. I guess it comes down to where you want to spend money.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

...Also consider the fact that the OE(s) have stepped up in their quality as well and as a manufacturer, we do our best to offer products that are manufactured of as-good or better quality materials than originally equipped. Karl can vouch when I say that engineering a header is much tougher by today's standards; tighter clearances, more demanding consumers and a manufacturer's reputation to offer the best possible product all factors into the equation. Stainless is a pricy material but I can say that doing a header swap on a 4th GEN Camaro is not something that is fun to do twice!
Old 11-21-2007, 04:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 6L.IROC-Z
Karl, have you guys looked into making a set of headers for the third gen f-bodies LSX swap to compete against the Stainless Steel Works headers which to my knowledge are the only ones on the market and are a little pricey at $800 ?

sorry for being a little off topic
What about third gen guys
Old 11-21-2007, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

So when will the 64-67 kits be available? I just picked up an LS1 and 4L60 for a song and am thinking of putting it in my 65 lemans convert I am in the process of doing a frame off paint in spring. Or just spend the 4-5k on a short block for my CNC ported heads and P1SC blower(pontiac power) not corporate nonsense

I like the idea of the LS in there even though I am a bit of a pontiac power purist, not fanatic, in a pontiac. Smooth power, gas milage and lighter weight.

I can always save the LS1 for my 37 ford when I get back to it someday.

Quick Reply: new edelbrock A body LS conversion package coming out in 08