Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Auburn Service

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Auburn Service

Alright I have a 99 hawk with the Auburn, and I have searched(and i'm sure someone will post up in 30 seconds with a link to what I was looking for) and I don't have the manual handy. So I was wondering if anyone could help me out. What is the service interval for the Auburn LS for changing the fluid? Also does anyone know what a dealer charges to do it, vs what it would cost for me to get the supplies and do it? Any information on this would be helpful, and like I said, I haven't seen any posts on the service interval(miles or time).

Thanks ahead of time,
Gary
Old 11-18-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Just did mine, read in this thread posts from myself...https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...87#post8144787

cost me:
$8 for 2 qts gear oil
$5 tube black permatex gasket maker
$20 for 2ea 4oz bottles of gm posi additive
total $53

Faq from auburn gear on the fluid type/spec:
It is important when installing Auburn differentials that a high quality, non-synthetic 80w90 GL-5 oil, treated with GM or Ford limited-slip additive (also known as friction modifier) be used. Three ounces of additive will treat one quart of oil.

the fact that it was done correctly; priceless

(PS-it was done incorrectly by a GM dealership last time!!! )

Last edited by 99'CajunFirehawk157; 11-18-2007 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Do it youself. The dealer or or servicer will likely not include the limited slip additive due to its cost.

I had mine done at a GM dealer and it winned immediately after. I re-did the job adding the recommneded additive and the wine went away.

Don't trust anyone is my modo.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
Don't trust anyone is my modo.

Hell.. that is a NY thing from the get go.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

Thanks
-Gary
Old 11-19-2007, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree... with some other options:

2.5 qts of 85-140wt Schaffer, Torco or other higher quality oil.
1x 4oz bottle of Ford Friction modifier (any more and you run the risk of modifing the frictional properties too much.
1x tube of sealer.
1x can of non chloronated brake cleaner.

Less than or about $50

Unless you are running a Pro Series Auburn... there is no need for more than 4oz of fric mod.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chicane
Unless you are running a Pro Series Auburn... there is no need for more than 4oz of fric mod.

It is important when installing Auburn differentials that a high quality, non-synthetic 80w90 GL-5 oil, treated with GM or Ford limited-slip additive (also known as friction modifier) be used. Three ounces of additive will treat one quart of oil.
I dunno, this was copied and pasted from their site, I think their thoughts on this may have changed recently...? All I know is, for the extra $8, I have NO more rear diff related noise's, period. So I am way happy...

A post from the hawk website on this topic too;
http://messageboard.firehawk.org/vie...ghlight=auburn

Last edited by 99'CajunFirehawk157; 11-20-2007 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157

I dunno, this was copied and pasted from their site, I think their thoughts on this may have changed recently...? All I know is, for the extra $8, I have NO more rear diff related noise's, period. So I am way happy...

A post from the hawk website on this topic too;
http://messageboard.firehawk.org/vie...ghlight=auburn

I doubt their thoughts have changed. I bought an 8.5 Auburn new in '95 (the new ones today are exactly the same).
I had 16 ounces of the cheap friction modifier in it and it was real noisey around corners.
Called their tech line and they said use only ford or GM friction modifier. They said this was the most common call they get and get over 20 per week where people use cheap stuff and it makes noise.
As for mine the noise went away shortly after adding new gear oil and 4oz of ford modifier.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

They must be talking about the generic fric mod's that are available. I also believe that they use a standard reference for (something larger than a 10bolt) their mixing ratio's.

But as useless as it may be, IMHO... the Ford stuff is the shizz-o-lizz-o.