Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Figure you guys might appreciate this.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 06:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Figure you guys might appreciate this.

Just a few of the pictures we took of my buddies car. So far it's been an interesting project.

Motor is getting rebuilt and new clutch is going in amongst other things.

original thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-members/840922-somebody-stole-02scvette-s-wheels.html
Old 01-08-2008, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are getting serious with that vette. That much work makes me tired looking at the pictures. Good luck!
Old 01-08-2008, 07:47 AM
Launching!

It's actually been a cool project. Didn't even break anything yet!
Old 01-08-2008, 07:52 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Nice. I really wish I had a four post lift in my gargage. Hopefully when we move to a bigger house here, that will be a 'must be done thing'

Keith
Old 01-08-2008, 07:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks like you have your hands full. I am happy to be finished seeing mine like that
Old 01-08-2008, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

nice, how long did it take you guys to drop the drivetrain???

Also can you ask your friend what kind of rack he has, where he got it from, that will fit in a regular garage. I am going to need one of those. Thanks
Old 01-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1290
Nice. I really wish I had a four post lift in my gargage. Hopefully when we move to a bigger house here, that will be a 'must be done thing'

Keith
His lift was well worth it. We all get to use it when we need to , with the only exception is that the vette is on it for the time it'll take to get done.

This project is pretty cool. I had fun with the tear down so far. Let's just hope it goes back together just as nice!
Old 01-08-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Resident

I want a lift
Old 01-08-2008, 11:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by scramblerman
nice, how long did it take you guys to drop the drivetrain???

Also can you ask your friend what kind of rack he has, where he got it from, that will fit in a regular garage. I am going to need one of those. Thanks
It's a used Bear lift made by Wheeltronics. Since I have a height restriction I had to make the ceiling "convertible" so it goes through the ceiling into my work shop above. There are other brand models that don't extend like this but I got a good deal so it was worth it.

I've been taking pictures of everything plus bagging/tagging anything that comes off the car in order to make it easier to put back together so that's taken a lot of extra time. It's really not too bad of a job but I did do a lot of up front research on what to expect so that has really paid off. I started on it on 12/30 for a few hours and a few more hours on the 1st. Saturday was a few more hours with some assistance and Sunday had it out within 4 hours with a couple friends helping. So I guess under 15 hours of my time so far. It sure helps having extra eyes watching for anything hanging up when you bump up the body 1" at a time though. I'd say the AC compressor is the biggest bitch to deal with since I left the system sealed. That and disconnecting all of the electrical required some patience.

Last edited by 02SCVette; 02-25-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Familar site. Have fun with it. Always nice to have multiple hands and eyes working on a project like this.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02SCVette
It's a used Bear lift made by Wheeltronics. Since I have a height restriction I had to make the ceiling "covertible" so it goes through the ceiling into my work shop above. There are other brand models that don't extend like this but I got a good deal so it was worth it.

I've been taking pictures of everything plus bagging/tagging anything that comes off the car in order to make it easier to put back together so that's taken a lot of extra time. It's really not too bad of a job but I did do a lot of up front research on what to expect so that has really paid off. I started on it on 12/30 for a few hours and a few more hours on the 1st. Saturday was a few more hours with some assistance and Sunday had it out within 4 hours with a couple friends helping. So I guess under 15 hours of my time so far. It sure helps having extra eyes watching for anything hanging up when you bump up the body 1" at a time though. I'd say the AC compressor is the biggest bitch to deal with since I left the system sealed. That and disconnecting all of the electrical required some patience.
Thanks for the heads up and the info.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

Mike and DannoWS6,
Thanks for the emailed link. Looking good my friend and she looks nice and clean as well. I'm glad that new lift is working out well, you should be the envy of alot of us here having quite a lift. I'm sure it will all go great. Too bad you had to go to work today and not stay home to play with the Vette lol! I know how that is for sure. I'll be watching this thread closely and may even chime in a few kind words. Looking good so far is a definite.
Talk to you soon,
Todd
Old 01-08-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

man how hard is it to drop the seperate the body from the drivetrain? the reason i ask is i've been thinking of doing my clutch and think this may be a viable way to do it.~Cole~
Old 01-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ColeTrains'96Z28
man how hard is it to drop the seperate the body from the drivetrain? the reason i ask is i've been thinking of doing my clutch and think this may be a viable way to do it.~Cole~
Well, it all depends on your background. I've never tried anything like this before but my father-in-law was a auto mechanic his entire life so I learned a lot helping him at times.

Also do a lot of research ahead of time so that you know what you're getting into. There's plenty of great stuff on here.

Without a lift I'd never attempt it. Iv'e heard of too many alignment nightmares trying to re-install everything back in off of jacks.

Take lots of pictures, bag and tag everything and put bolts/washers back in place to make it even easier to remember where stuff is supposed to go.

Good luck if you decide to take the plunge like I have.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:07 AM
11 Second Club

It went quicker than I thought. But having a few mechanically inclined friends help. Especially one who's a Mechanical Engineer. I can turn a wrench, I'm far from a mechanic but probably more knowledgable than the average joe.

Basically were all just a bunch of car guys giving it a whirl. Mike is a brave soul
Old 01-09-2008, 10:00 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's a wrench again?? And Mike let me work on that thing(brave soul)!! Good thing I'm just turning tools and follwing instructions. I only "suggest" things and not reccomend things.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Launching!

I've always been curious how long does it take to drop the drivetrain like that and is there a write up of it online?
Old 01-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blown4.6
I've always been curious how long does it take to drop the drivetrain like that and is there a write up of it online?
I didn't find one but gained some really good info from sites like this:
http://www.cajundude.com/c5techhome.htm

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ight=Textralia

http://www.ls1howto.com/

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/213148-jrp-s-faq-commonly-asked-questions.html

These sites will give you a good understanding of the 'vette structure and some good time saving tips.

That and read the "How to build high performance LS1/LS6 ..." book several times. I forget the full title but they have them at AutoZone and places like that. Lots of great information and pictures of dropping out the powertrain.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:19 PM
Launching!

We finished pulling everything off of the engine today. The stock clutch had 47k SC miles on it and it didn't look all too good for some reason.... Good thing I never put on a sticky tire.

I had quite a surprise when I pulled the heads off Thursday night. I've got a good size chunk missing from my #5 piston! You can see over an inch of the top ring. It's been making an annoying ticking noise since about 9/06, about a month or 2 after I bought it. It was still under warrantee so I brought it back to get checked out at the dealership and they said it was just the lifters getting tired after supposedly spending 4-5 hours on it. I guess they were pretty far off the mark. I guess they never did a compression test on it.... So I managed to put down 478whp with 7 + pistons. Now I know why I was getting blow by and I'm guessing the lifters are ok. I think the cylinder wall isn't too bad fortunately. I plan on giving the dealership an earfull about it. Not that I think that'll get me anything but who knows.

I'm sure Dan will post up the pics soon.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:39 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02SCVette
I'm sure Dan will post up the pics soon.

Quick Reply: Figure you guys might appreciate this.