Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My Introduction WITH PICS (ST80 build)

Old 02-10-2008, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Introduction WITH PICS (ST80 build)

Well it is now that time. my car is starting to look like a car again. some people may know me or have seen me post here and there. i mostly just lurk around here. I get sick of seeing the "which kit should i get...what boost on what motor threads like that so i waited until i was ready to post something worth while!

My name is matt, i'm 21 and work full time and i am going to school as well. this build started last winter and it's finally coming to a close!

stock inch motor with 6L truck heads and a large custom ground cam that i don't even remember/know the specs on, but it has a wide lobe sep so it should work well.
FI ST80 turbo with 1.00 ar
Tial WG and BOV
1 3/4 stainless headers, 2 1/2" stainless cross over, 4" stainless downpipe all the way to the axle.
3 1/2" aluminum charge pipe from the turbo to the ebay IC, 4" aluminum charge pipe from the IC to the TB. (my buddy cut off the 3"inlets on the IC and welded on a piece of 3 1/2" and the 4")
umm i think that's the most of it. i originally had a PT76GTS that was going to go where the battery was, but when i got the 80 that plan was thrown out the window and i had to weld in a patch panel and fix everything. the core support was chopped and the griffin was stood up (we are going to make the radiator a dual pass so that the inlet and outlet will both be on the pass. side.
the entire bumper support was taken out and the frame rails were shaved up front and my buddy Greg made the new bumper/IC/rad support out of chromoly round bar.

sorry for the short novel but here's some pics. i just got it back from paint last monday. we deleted the AC portion of the heater box but i left the heat in the car. hope you like it, the car should be finished by spring.

This is what my car looked like back when it was together...

and the turbo kit....

Old 02-10-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Regular

Nice looking car.Hope you finish it and have fun
Old 02-10-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, that looks really good
Old 02-10-2008, 03:41 PM
9 Second Club

Looks real nice
Old 02-10-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

what an intro! How fast (or how much power) are you looking to go (or make)?
Old 02-10-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 6techniques
what an intro! How fast (or how much power) are you looking to go (or make)?
I'm not sure. my buddy Sean who did the welding and a good portion of the fab work has a small performance/repair shop which is where my car is. At the shop a guy i know Dan has a hatch back mustang there with a 347R block and an HP turbo kit on it. before dan had a PT76GTS and on 21psi it made like 650-700 to the tire (mustang dyno) and the ignition was cutting out at the track but the car was still capable of low 9's. now Dans car just got the same ST80 turbo and it's back on the dyno. so far with only 16psi Dans car is making 700 to the tire. being a pushrod small ford motor, it is a very similar setup to mine. i am looking to make similar numbers to that car. Dans car is being converted to a coil on plug at the moment and then they will turn the boost up even higher. it should be fun.

I'm not sure on the Boost levels on my car, but we will just keep cranking it up until it doesn't make anymore! i also have a BS3 that is going into the car. My car also has most of the suspension to handle going fast. Wolfe anti roll bar, adj. QA1's on all corners, LCA relocation that we have extremely low, so the tire should just stab the pavement! looking to get a madman torque arm when i have some extra $$ as well
Old 02-10-2008, 04:22 PM
10 Second Club

Pretty sweet ride. I like your FMIC mount!
Old 02-10-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by myfast70
Thanks, my buddy Greg came up with it. it shaved a TON of weight from the front since we hacked off the entire bumper support from the frame rail forward. it also mounts the radiator on the front which i thought was cool, it makes the radiator appear "floating" when you're just looking at it since there is nothing "clamping" the radiator to the core support, it just sits like that
Old 02-10-2008, 04:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice....I told you guys our ST80 will spool like a raped ape and will make stupid amounts of power for even low boost setups . We are revising a few new things internally as well, that should make it spool a little quicker. Also we are working on the BB version of it

Originally Posted by SS4Matt
I'm not sure. my buddy Sean who did the welding and a good portion of the fab work has a small performance/repair shop which is where my car is. At the shop a guy i know Dan has a hatch back mustang there with a 347R block and an HP turbo kit on it. before dan had a PT76GTS and on 21psi it made like 650-700 to the tire (mustang dyno) and the ignition was cutting out at the track but the car was still capable of low 9's. now Dans car just got the same ST80 turbo and it's back on the dyno. so far with only 16psi Dans car is making 700 to the tire. being a pushrod small ford motor, it is a very similar setup to mine. i am looking to make similar numbers to that car. Dans car is being converted to a coil on plug at the moment and then they will turn the boost up even higher. it should be fun.

I'm not sure on the Boost levels on my car, but we will just keep cranking it up until it doesn't make anymore! i also have a BS3 that is going into the car. My car also has most of the suspension to handle going fast. Wolfe anti roll bar, adj. QA1's on all corners, LCA relocation that we have extremely low, so the tire should just stab the pavement! looking to get a madman torque arm when i have some extra $$ as well
Old 02-10-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by myfast70

That was done very well. Dont be surprised if you see that design stolen by upcoming builds.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Banned

Nice work bro.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
That was done very well. Dont be surprised if you see that design stolen by upcoming builds.
yeah that whole setup was thought up and built by my buddy Greg (GPowrie) on here. it cost me about $150 in chassis tabs and chromoly round bar from Skinny Kid racecars...i originally had done the FMIC like the EPP kit is, but it looked like **** in my opinion and the way it was, the IC was sitting pretty low. so we cut it all back out and did this. it was very tedious making everything as semetrical as possible.

Last edited by SS4Matt; 02-10-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
Very nice....I told you guys our ST80 will spool like a raped ape and will make stupid amounts of power for even low boost setups . We are revising a few new things internally as well, that should make it spool a little quicker. Also we are working on the BB version of it
indeed, this is quoted from our local board, Dans Mustang with the now ST80 thought you might like to hear....
OK, here's where we are so far....Right now Sean is working on at least three 700+hp turbo cars in his little shop. Pretty cool if you ask me. All three should run real good when done. You've seen the pictures of SS4Matt's car being worked on.

My car has put down just a tad over 700rwhp with 13degrees of total timing and 16lbs of boost. Torque is right at 600ftlbs... This is nearly what it did before with the pt76gts @ 21lbs of boost and 16degrees of timing.

So, we know that it is going to make more steam.
Originally Posted by Josh @ KYTP
Nice work bro.
Thanks!
Old 02-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet setup!!
Old 02-10-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS4Matt
yeah that whole setup was thought up and built by my buddy Greg (GPowrie) on here. it cost me about $150 in chassis tabs and chromoly round bar from Skinny Kid racecars...i originally had done the FMIC like the EPP kit is, but it looked like **** in my opinion and the way it was, the IC was sitting pretty low. so we cut it all back out and did this. it was very tedious making everything as semetrical as possible.
At the end of the day something that is done with that much attention to detail is so much more enjoyable than something that is just functional.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
At the end of the day something that is done with that much attention to detail is so much more enjoyable than something that is just functional.
Thanks

also, if you look where the charge pipe comes from the IC to the TB. we originally notched the passanger frame rail for the PT76GTS build that was planned a bit differently, but instead of filling the hole i used it as an opportunity to sink in the new coolant recovery tank.

i have a lot of polishing ahead of me as well. the hot side i will have tumble polished when i have some more $$ to blow on the "bling" the aluminum stuff i will do all by hand, it shouldn't take me more then a weekend and a case!
Old 02-10-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That looks very good. Keep us up to date with more pics.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

dude that is awesome and sweet car.. your buddy should make supports like that and sell them here i would pay $150.00 for it.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is your WS tinted?
Old 02-10-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 94blownz281
dude that is awesome and sweet car.. your buddy should make supports like that and sell them here i would pay $150.00 for it.
well the thing is, it was about $150 in the materials. he probably spent a good 5-10 hours making it throughout the course of a few days here and there. the problem is, it's not a "bolt on" piece. the top part bolts onto the head light bracket piece. the lower parts of it are welded to the lower core support piece so it's not exactly something that would be easy for any joe schmo to add onto their car

Originally Posted by ninetres
Is your WS tinted?
yes my windshield among everything else is tinted. i manage a detail shop and we also tint windows at my work. my daily driver hemi ram has it's WS tinted as well just goes with the territory!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Introduction WITH PICS (ST80 build)