Sponsored by:

LS 1 kit car build pictures+ carb starting query

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 06:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS 1 kit car build pictures+ carb starting query

if anyone can help with this thanks;
i've a demon 750cfm carb (mech secondaries) on a GM performance inlet and msd ignition controller running the stock coil packs. I am not used to carbs and when starting from cold its difficult to fire (no choke!) so any suggestions as to best method of starting it appreciated.

It seems to work better with a couple of initial throttle presses then crank it over on starter, but sometimes it doesnt catch and will crank for ages before firing. i have pressed the throttle then a little much and flooded it i think.

when warm its very easy to start and idles perfectly, so i think its purely down to not knowing the best method yet for cold start.
its not a daily driver (race car) but it would help if i could get it to fire reliably from cold, i dont mind sitting holding it slightly on throttle then for a minute or two till it starts to warm up as it soon idles ok on its own with no further help.

couple of new pictures added
Attached Thumbnails LS 1 kit car build pictures+ carb starting query-image1031.jpg   LS 1 kit car build pictures+ carb starting query-image1013.jpg   LS 1 kit car build pictures+ carb starting query-image1001.jpg   LS 1 kit car build pictures+ carb starting query-image1014.jpg   LS 1 kit car build pictures+ carb starting query-image1015.jpg  

LS 1 kit car build pictures+ carb starting query-image1032.jpg  
Old 02-11-2008, 07:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds pretty normal.

Give it two or three pumps, then hold the throttle about 1/4 open when starting it. Thats what i always do, works well.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:31 AM
DCx
TECH Regular

im also running a mechanical secondary 750 demon carb

when i got my carb set up running i primed the fuel pump for a bit. made sure the bowls were full, gave it a pump of the throttle, then turned the key. my car came to life so fast it scared me!

instant oil pressure upon starting and it never struggled to idle. im running a rather large cam shaft and it idled just fine on the #1 tuning pill. im yet to load a custom tune.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Regular

cheers for that, i'll try it as suggested then with 2 pumps and a 1/4 throttle.
any suggestions as to suggested float bowl height ? car is to be used for track racing/sprints.

i'm running on no4 timing pill as i have the cam grind to suit it but its going on the dyno soon anyway to be checked out fully and set up.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

also another basic question but thats the best AFR to aim for when its tuned on the dyno (hub pack), bearing in mind its a stock ls1 no other power adders etc.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:14 AM
TECH Regular

anyone advise what AFR the carb should be tuned to please?
cheers
Old 02-13-2008, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chris-m
anyone advise what AFR the carb should be tuned to please?
cheers
Chris,

Same AFR as an EFI setup ;-) try this as a starter http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=6328

Cheers

Jim
Old 02-14-2008, 04:16 AM
TECH Regular

cheers Jim its something like 12.8-13 afr then by the look if it. i have a turbo Gt4 celica you see which is mapped to 11.6:1 which i know is too rich for n/a tuning for power.