Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Torque arm relocation crossmember: BMR or UMI?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Raising or lowering the front of the torque arm changes the instant center. The adjustible nut at the rear of the torque arm does nothing to change the instant center.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I have mine mounted in the top hole and it clunks should I move it to the center hole on the bracket?
Old 08-04-2008, 03:45 PM
11 Second Club

Well I'm installing this thing. Would have been done hours ago but it doesn't fit right. The hole for the tranny mount won't line up (plenty of room for adjustment in the opposite direction tho ) I have an energy suspension poly trans mount, fit fine with the stock crossmember. I have removed the whole thing and enlarged the mounting holes with a dremel a few times. Anyone got any other ideas? I'm beginning to think they gave me one for the wrong tranny.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you try installing it with out the torque arm to make sure everything lined up? The weld jig locates the mounting holes in the correct location to help prevent this, so I would like to see what is not lining up. Do the mounting holes line up and just not the transmission mount? Can you e-mail me a few pictures?
Old 08-04-2008, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

Mounting holes line up, just not the tranny mount. I don't think I could get decent pics underneath the car on jackstands. I didn't try without the ta mount, everyone said you need to install it by slipping it on over the ta with the mount on.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:03 PM
FormerVendor

Ok that helps

Can you get me a measurement using a tape measure from the torque arm mount on the cross-member to the center of the transmission mounting slot? It doesn't need to be exact but just close will let me know if its together correctly.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 08-04-2008, 04:08 PM
11 Second Club

Well it's not left to right issue, the tranny mount is too far forward to go thru the mounting hole. The whole crossmember needs to come foprward a bit to reach the hole. I can get like one side of mounting holes and the tranny mount in, then the other side is off. I'm just gonna keep dremeling. Maybe I'll modify the tranny mount holes a lil, that'd be easier than the thick steel on this crossmember.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:11 PM
FormerVendor

That is really odd, they always sit in there nice and centered... I am not sure what would cause that. The tubing can't move front to back on the fixture either or the entire item will change... I'm lost on what would cause this.

If you get a chance snap some pictures and e-mail them, it might help me.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trans mount on backwards? Just a thought?
Old 08-04-2008, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed when i put mine in that i couldnt use a poly trans mount because with the stock rubber trans mount, it offsets to the rear so things line up. With the poly mount it wasnt offset and was thus too far forward and would not mount correctly.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jimmard
I noticed when i put mine in that i couldnt use a poly trans mount because with the stock rubber trans mount, it offsets to the rear so things line up. With the poly mount it wasnt offset and was thus too far forward and would not mount correctly.
Well this explains it I guess. I got the thing on, had to beat the sh*t out of it tho. Didn't have a stock tranny mount around. Just dremeled out the holes some. I don't think I hurt the integrity of the piece, just may have rendered it unresellible in the future. This thing is a lil noisy, no where near as bad as the tunnel mounted torque arm I used to have so I think this will stay. I was not able to use the top set of mounting brackets for the arm, not cause the torque arm was hitting the tunnel but because the outer ta bracket would hit the bottom of the tranny. Didn't see any way around that. Thanx for your help guys. Next time my cars in the air Ryan I'll take some pics.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by AChotrod
trans mount on backwards? Just a thought?
Tried that. The poly one is pretty much the same either way. Mounting hole is right in the middle.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Tried that. The poly one is pretty much the same either way. Mounting hole is right in the middle.
Yea the stock mount is offset to the rear, not sure why they dont make the poly ones like that :\
Old 08-04-2008, 07:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jimmard
Yea the stock mount is offset to the rear, not sure why they dont make the poly ones like that :\
Ya but the wierd thing is the poly one still fits the stock crossmember. Ohh well, note to anyone installing one in the future, use the stock rubber tranny mount.

Quick Reply: Torque arm relocation crossmember: BMR or UMI?