Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

Ram Air hood????

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 01:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ram Air hood????

Ive been wanting to buy a ram air 98-02 WS6 once I sell the 96. But ive just knoticed..... are all ws6 ram air hoods non functional?? I see air filter lids and it makes me think the air comes from the rad. area??? Is that right??

Has anyone ever made them functional?
Old 07-06-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

All factory WS6 hoods are functional. The LS1 WS6 hoods work w/ a raised airbox which lines-up w/ the opening on the underside of the hood to catch the blast of cold air coming in through the nostrils. There are rain baffles in there that help keep water from being injested, but many people remove the baffles to get a more direct, less restricted path for the air. There also used to be a "BGRA" kit that sealed the opening in the hood to the opening in the airbox to help produce a positive pressure. Same effect can be obtained by using a foam seal.

Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 07-07-2010 at 12:39 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-07-2010, 06:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

ok cool,, I thought they had to be real but could never actually see the holes in the lower air box where it draws the air from the hood? where abouts is it?? all I ever see is the slp type lids and the clear ones and so on,,, I never see the filter openings like you do in a SS car.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

The air enters a forward-facing slot below the square filter element (air flows UP through the filter into the lid and then is directed back towards the MAF/throttle body, unlike on LT1 cars where the air flows DOWN through the filter). All LS1 cars are the same. The only thing that makes a WS6 airbox unique is that the "lower airbox" / radiator support piece is raised up so that the slot is ~1" taller and lines-up better w/ the opening in the hood.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

cool thanks,,, cause when i want to find a ws6 i dotn want to get a clone,,, i will be looking for the WS6 rpo code,,,, all real ram air's had that code right? Or could any plain ta get a ram air hood and airbox from the factory without the ws6 option.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Without the WS6 RPO, the car did not receive any of the WS6 parts from the factory (suspension upgrades, wheels, upgraded cat-back, hood, raised airbox, PS cooler). Although the PS cooler (RPO V12) became standard equipment on all LS1s in '02. Be on the lookout for clones though, "WS7" was not a factory package.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm not totally sure, but idk if a ws6 air box would even fit under a stock TA steel hood. it's so much taller, i would think the hood would stay open. maybe someone else knows more...

i am fortunate (or unfortunate?) to have an original ws6, along with the obsoltete BG ram air kit. it does remove the baffles, and provides a straight shot thru the nostrils right into the air box and seals with a 1/2 or so foam seal fastened to the hood that seals with the air box. when done correctly, it does appear to be stock. not many people would know the difference. the original kit comes with "rain baffles" but i have never used them. my car has only been wet once, and that is when i brought it home. i drove for over 4 hours in the rain between middle of michigan and so. indiana, and i checked the filter when i got home. it seemed dry (K&N). i love the kit, but if i would ever go back to a total stock vehicle, especially given my ultra low mileage, i would need to source a new ws6 hood. but it is kinda cool having an aftermarket part that so many people want, and is now obsolete. although i think if you search, someone on here is making a new version of the kit. i don't know much about it.

Quick Reply: Ram Air hood????