Comprehensive Chandler Motorsports Optispark thread - For questions, reviews & praise

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 01:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comprehensive Chandler Motorsports Optispark thread - For questions, reviews & praise

What people are saying about our optispark parts right now.

Notes about this thread
The purpose of this thread is to answer any and all questions you may have about purchasing these units from us. We will periodically post updates, and reply to questions related to the product. All questions AFTER the sale, we’ll answer on an individual basis through email.
Feel free to post if you have received your unit and everything is peachy. We love you too
However, for dirty laundry (returns, exchanges, warranties, concerns etc) please email us at customerservice@chandlermotorsports.com if you purchased using Google Checkout, our shopping cart or over the phone.

If you purchased on eBay, you MUST use the eBay messaging system. We absolutely can’t mix our communication channels up. That way we can quickly deal with your issues. We will try to log on with some frequency to answer questions. But our priority is always email & eBay messages as well as shipments. For issues like the ones mentioned above, you’ll need to use electronic communication instead of the phone.

The purpose of this thread is to more or less handle any of the repeated questions that people may have on our units. So “when is my unit going to get here?” or “do you guys sell blinker fluid?” are not going to help.
Who we are
I wanted to take a little time to introduce myself, my company and our Optisparks. I’ve been a forum nut for about 10 years now. I started out on thirdgen.org back when I was 16 driving around a 305 TBI (boat anchor) Camaro. So I have a special spot in my heart for forum culture, including the shenanigans, glorious NSFW threads and in general car guys. I’m not the kind of person that likes to distort things, so I’m going to lay it all out for you guys. This should answer most of the questions we get on a daily basis.

We’ve been offering replacement solutions for a spread of different vehicles and I always had the LT1 crew in the back of my head. About 3 years ago or we started offering cap and rotor kits for the LT1 crew. A couple trial orders for the full distributor didn’t yield very promising results. After about a year the distributors increased in quality. Eventually the quality got to a level where it was acceptable to sell them on a mass scale. Since then we’ve become the number one seller of Optisparks in the nation. We sold them primarily on ebay, over the phone, to garages, wholesaled them etc.
Since the demise of the thepartsladi on eBay we realize there has been a void in the Optispark market as of late. We are checking into how we can profitably sell the OEM units alongside our units to give the best available selection of Optispark replacement solutions. We hope to have something lined up in the next month or two. We are negotiating with dealers around the country.
Our Optisparks
This is as good as it gets for aftermarket units. You can change the color of the cap and throw in buzz words like “digital pickups” and all the other marketing nonsense in the world, but the fact of the matter is there are roughly four factories that produce this part. One of them is the OEM factory, which does NOT sell out the back door. I’ve tried… for years. There are two other "bottom of the barrel" factories that supply some other big name brands and there is a premium provider which we use.
There are also other sellers claiming Mitsubishi sensors (the primary difference between OEM and aftermarket units). I also explored this route. This can be debunked just by the numbers. In order to work with Mitsubishi to get this sensor, the minimum order is 10,000pcs at $40 a sensor. I can assure you, even if you were selling Optisparks for $100 with Mitsu sensors, it would still take you a decade to recoup your investment. It’s just not possible.
We’ve tried all the factories, and again, this is as good as it gets. They are great units considering the poor design of the factory unit. That IS the main issue here. You can convert your car to an LS1 coil setup, or run an aftermarket fuel injection setup, but if you’re running an Optispark, by its nature the unit is susceptible to coolant leaking into the unit or condensation breaking it down. We have heard through the rumor mill that Delphi is now producing in the same factory we use. I can’t substantiate this, but I think other members have pulled the units apart. This factory also supplies the best HEI replacement distributors and Vortec distributors on the market. They are a solid contact and they provide us with outstanding quality at great prices.
There are other people selling units with poor track records, bad customer service and people that are just outright lying. We have priced these units fairly. We don’t think anyone is getting ripped off, and we’re here to take care of our customers. I don’t think you’ll find any other sellers of Optisparks so vested in the long term interest of their buyer base. Google any of the other sellers with Optisparks and you'll see warranty and return horror stories.
Non-stock replacements
You’ll have to notify us before hand if you’re running or planning on running a vented conversion, the warranty is shortened to 60 days for the CMS brand and we don’t offer the TS brand for these setups. We sell on a case by case basis to
  • Motor Swaps
  • LT1 engines in other vehicles (like sandrails etc)
  • Vented conversions
  • Non-stock replacements
Average Delivery Time
Typically you should expect to receive your unit in 7-10 business days. Standard shipping ships either by USPS Priority or Fedex Ground Home Delivery, whichever is cheaper depending on zone. If you pay the $5 for express, it always goes by Priority and gets bumped up in our shipping queue. These shipments receive priority attention. We generally try to ship same day if an order was placed before 12.

How do you sell them this cheap?
We are the number one seller of this part in the aftermarket. Only GM’s dealer network outsells us on this part. We leverage our economies of scale to compete on a level that most companies can’t obtain.

Last edited by ChandlerMotorsports; 08-23-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:11 PM
FormerVendor

Warranty?
We include everything you need when we ship you the item. Please save the sheet you receive, we do not replace them. The sheets let us know what batch your shipment came from to track quality, returns and warranties on our end.
We ACTUALLY WARRANTY our products. Trust me, I know how ridiculous some of the warranty terms are for auto parts. I’m with you guys, its completely unfair to claim a warranty on a product and not warranty it. Even before we decided to start advertising on the forums it has been well known we stand behind our product. Our eBay feedback reputation should be proof enough that we take customer service seriously. Follow the directions we provide and we’ll take care of you.
We require a short review of your choosing either on
  • Reseller Ratings
  • The official Optispark thread & an itrader rating
to activate your warranty. We need the help, we're competing against AC Delco, Delphi & GM. Companies 30 to 40 times the size of us.

Modified cars
We have heard of a couple people running the unit successfully on 10 second cars, for extended periods. I can’t comment on the long term prospect of this because I don’t sufficiently understand the optispark unit’s capabilities to horsepower. I have no doubt that a much greater number of people on these forums will be running these parts on 400-600hp cars, as opposed to the general eBay population. So time will tell if this is a good replacement or if these cars should be switching to coils or other aftermarket setups.

Caveats
PLEASE check the application list. This is crucial. A lot of people don’t know if they have an Optispark I (non-vented) or Optispark II (vented). Please examine the photos of the two distributors. You’ll notice the early model has a PIN drive and the later model has a SPLINE drive. You’ll also notice the early model has a non-vented cap, where as the later has a vented cap. You can tell the difference by the top part of the cap, you’ll notice one extra vacuum line.
A word about optisparks in general - The optispark is the scapegoat of all ignition problems for the LT1. You should take sufficient time to navigate your problem and isolate it to the optispark. It’s a very common failure, but not the only failure that presents symptoms like hesitation, rough starts etc In that regard, don’t expect this part to work miracles if you haven’t properly diagnosed your problem.
We do NOT support Frankenstein setups. If you’re running an early model style motor in a late model, a a late model engine in an early model or an engine swap, you’ll need to purchase from another vendor. We did the math on our returns\warranties and noticed that these setups had a 400% (four HUNDRED percent) higher return rate. An engine swap is a very complex procedure, and often times a million little electrical\swap gremlins can point to the Optispark without that being the issue. So again, we take these on a case by case basis.
Vin numbers
We require VIN numbers for returns & warranties. If you cannot or are not willing to provide one, please purchase from another vendor. We use your VIN number to confirm fit for your application, so again, if you have a motor swap or a non Fbody application you’ll need to contact us before the purchase.
No jerks policy
We enforce the no jerks policy. All bets are off if you call in and say things like “you are a redneck ******.” I kid you not; someone actually said this to me once (We're in Wisconsin! yeesh!). If you are rude to me or any of the warehouse workers, we will not deal with whatever issue you have. We provide an exceptionally high level of customer service and we just will not deal with nutjobs. Mind your manners and we’ll love you like we love all of our other customers. Trust me, you don’t do 10,000 shipments a year without being a “people person.”
Our phone lines are available at 877-727-8742x2 from 10-3 generally however I am not very good about answering the phone as well as I should. We focus on electronic correspondence because it provides a higher level of customer service (ability to keep track of special circumstances with a paper trail) and our shipments.
Overnight shipments
We don’t do them. If you need the part this fast, we recommend you purchase a dealer part. Just like engine swaps and non stock applications, we’ve learned that people that are in a hurry generally don’t take the time for a proper diagnosis. If you are in a rush, again, purchase the OEM unit. Most dealers stock them.
Pricing

Distributor

1 year warranty
Optispark I , non-vented OEM #10457702 $114.99 shipped
Optispark II, vented OEM #1104032 $89.99 shipped
Lifetime warranty
Optispark I , non-vented OEM #10457702 $172.49 shipped
Optispark II, vented OEM #1104032 $134.99 shipped

Cap & Rotor

1 year warranty
Optispark I , non-vented OEM #10457702 $27.99 shipped
Optispark II, vented OEM #1104032 $27.99 shipped
Lifetime warranty
Optispark I , non-vented OEM #10457702 $41.99 shipped
Optispark II, vented OEM #1104032 $41.99 shipped

We have discounted purchases through Google Checkout & our shopping cart. eBay prices are higher to take into account fees.

FIT - Check this application list before purchasing.
Optispark I (non-vented)
1994 CHEVY CAMARO Z28 V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1994CHEVY CORVETTE V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1994PONTIAC FIREBIRD FORMULA V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1994PONTIAC FIREBIRD TRANS AM V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1994PONTIAC FIREBIRD TRANS AM GT V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1993CHEVY CAMARO Z28 V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1993CHEVY CORVETTE V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1993PONTIAC FIREBIRD FORMULA V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1993PONTIAC FIREBIRD TRANS AM V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1992CHEVY CORVETTE V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P

Optispark II(vented)
1997 CHEVY CAMARO Z28 V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1997 PONTIAC FIREBIRD FORMULA V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1997 PONTIAC FIREBIRD TRANS AM V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1996 BUICK ROADMASTER LIMITED V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1996 BUICK ROADMASTER LIMITED WAGON V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1996 BUICK ROADMASTER V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1996 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1996 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1996 CHEVY CAMARO Z28 V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1996 CHEVY CAPRICE CLASSIC V8 4.3L 265cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = W
1996 CHEVY CAPRICE CLASSIC V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1996 CHEVY CORVETTE V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = 5
1996 CHEVY CORVETTE V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1996 CHEVY IMPALA SS V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1996 PONTIAC FIREBIRD FORMULA V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1996 PONTIAC FIREBIRD TRANS AM V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1995 BUICK ROADMASTER ESTATE V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1995 BUICK ROADMASTER LIMITED V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1995 BUICK ROADMASTER V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1995 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1995 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1995 CHEVY CAMARO Z28 V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1995 CHEVY CAPRICE CLASSIC V8 4.3L 265cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = W
1995 CHEVY CAPRICE CLASSIC V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1995 CHEVY CORVETTE V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1995 CHEVY IMPALA SS V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1995 PONTIAC FIREBIRD FORMULA V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1995 PONTIAC FIREBIRD TRANS AM V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1994 BUICK ROADMASTER ESTATE V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1994 BUICK ROADMASTER LIMITED V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1994 BUICK ROADMASTER V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1994 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1994 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1994 CHEVY CAPRICE CLASSIC V8 4.3L 265cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = W
1994 CHEVY CAPRICE CLASSIC LS V8 4.3L 265cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = W
1994 CHEVY CAPRICE CLASSIC V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1994 CHEVY CAPRICE LS V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1994 CHEVY CAPRICE V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P
1994 CHEVY IMPALA SS V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = P

We are still looking to provide one free early and late model unit to someone who documents an install with photographs and descriptions. We need people who have good (dSlr) cameras, attractive female companions and clean rides. Send a sample to mail@chandlermotorsports.com if you think you have this combination.

To our existing customers and the few of you on the forums that recommended we become sponsored members, thank you! Remind us who you are so we can let the admins know you are an asset to the community.
Again, thank you for making us the premier source for the LT1 engine’s thorn in its side!
Old 09-03-2010, 03:40 PM
FormerVendor

TTT

To the guys who have purchased units I hope you're reading the included sheets! Need to post here or on reselllerratings to activate your warranty!
Old 09-03-2010, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Chandler Motorsports is great to deal with
Old 09-05-2010, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

I just ordered an Opti. You need to fix the google checkout so it gives you the option for expedited shipping. Otherwise, I'll post back up after its installed.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:02 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LVZ2881
I just ordered an Opti. You need to fix the google checkout so it gives you the option for expedited shipping. Otherwise, I'll post back up after its installed.
I've been shipping express for GCO buyers anyways
Old 09-07-2010, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just wanted to say that I bought an Opti for my 1995 corvette from you guys, I had it installed in a day (at the time it was ~$70). It ran from that point on without missing a beat, even after I had a blowout and ended up going through a ditch. The service and parts are great, I'm glad you guys are offering the LT1 guys a competitive alternative to the expensive "OEM" and MSD stuff.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

buy from some one else. these optis r junk out of the box over 50% of the time. and you will have to wait 3 or 4 days to hear back from them if you cal or e mail

Last edited by SexyTransAm; 12-24-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ChandlerMotorsports
I've been shipping express for GCO buyers anyways
We've already talked, and not to bust your ***** Nick, but I'f that had been mentioned beforehand,or on the site, then I would have known!!
but otherwise, I think its a nice little perk for being on the forums. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

recieved the opti, fast shipping. nice job
Old 09-15-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got my Optispark. Fast shipping, got it in 2 days. Also is a quality piece. Now to tear that MSD one out of my car and slap this baby in!
Old 09-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Default Here's a thought.....

Recently purchased one of your Opti-Sparks. While I was out in the garage, I was just thinking......you know what would be perfect is if you had an option to bundle a set of Fel-Pro Water Pump gaskets with the purchase of an Opti.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

^^^Thats a good idea
Old 09-20-2010, 11:02 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 94Sleeper
Recently purchased one of your Opti-Sparks. While I was out in the garage, I was just thinking......you know what would be perfect is if you had an option to bundle a set of Fel-Pro Water Pump gaskets with the purchase of an Opti.
I'm working on getting aftermarket water pumps. I want them to have the drain hole in them and sell them as "optispark preservation waterpumps" I'll let everyone know when I get some samples in then pick someone that is more mechanically inclined than me to put the word in on what the best one is. Because I would like to sell those with the optisparks.

We would also like to sell vented conversion kids and eventually optispark conversion kids. We want to move our business off of eBay, and we'll do that by catering to the forum crowd here.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Launching!

I received my non-vented opti from Chandler in record time with record price @ $108. The opti has been in the car for 2 weeks with no problems.

Nick, Please note for the future possibility of warranty needs. Obviously, from my sig, I have a swapped car. This opti was not installed in my car but I am not sure what would be required to prove this. The opti was installed in a 1993 Z28.

Last edited by garage_queen; 09-22-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:19 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

Hi Nick. I am looking to buy a non-vented opti for my 1994 LT1, the lifetime warranty version.

Do you accept international orders? And are you willing to ship to Bahrain? How much would it cost to have the opti to my doorstep?

PM me a quote please
Old 10-04-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Regular

Has anyone else had terrible communication with Chandlermotorsports. I sent them an email last thursday with no response reguarding an issue. I sent him a pm on here this morning, he got and never responded back cause he's been on here several times already today.

Paul
Old 10-04-2010, 07:09 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

Its been 11 days for me since I posted in the thread, still no reply either.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:48 PM

Default Feedback

Great shipping and great customer service got my opti fast for my 94Z Car is running great so far!
Thanks alot
-1BAD94Z
Old 11-06-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

just got an optispark from your website will give feedback when i get it

Quick Reply: Comprehensive Chandler Motorsports Optispark thread - For questions, reviews & praise