Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Just did the "Novak Jack" (aux input for ipod into stock HU) PICS!

Old 03-27-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arrow Just did the "Novak Jack" (aux input for ipod into stock HU) PICS!

I was really tired of using the FM transmitter for my mp3 player in my 02 Z28, so I found this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...t-adapter.html and did the mod.

Im not going to repeat all the information from the original thread, I just wanted to post up how I personally did it.

First off, props to Jason Novak!

They had the little audio jack switch in stock at radio shack.

Remember, all of these pictures are of the HU upsidedown

Like I said earlier, my car is an 02, and the wires are different colors (the first wire is actually black) so I tested them myself, and he was indeed correct it was the 1st and 3rd wire. I used cat5 wire like he suggested, it worked great.

If you do this to your car, pay attention to the wiring colors, even though I used the same colors as Jason, I used them slightly differently. I have the whites coming from the cd player to the switch, and the colors going from the switch to the board. The green is the ground and I just bolted it down to the radio chassis with a bolt that was already there.

Jason put his jack in the face of the HU somehow. I ran the line out of the back, no drilling required, there is a perfect size hole right by the 12 disk cd changer harness. If you are looking at the back it is the bottom right.

Im not sure where I wanna put the jack yet, so I dont have any installed pics. But it doesnt really matter, the cd player looks the same.

Good luck
Old 03-27-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is a great mod and also works on all other GMs that use the radio that looks the same, cavalier, s10, corvette etc
Old 07-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome mod, just did this to mine and saved 100 bucks by not buying a new HU haha
Old 07-18-2009, 03:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im curious if you could just wire in an aux cable and eliminate the aux jack. I know then it may mix audio though, just curious if it would work. Mainly because i have a cut aux cable sitting in front of me, a stock monsoon cd player in the car, and radioshack isnt open at 3AM.
But, i'll probably just go buy the jack tomorrow...

Along with a new aux cable now.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, found the aux cable i was looking for to begin with after i bought another one.. lol. But, did the mod, it worked like a charm. I just haven't mounted the aux jack yet. Im gonna do it in a similar way to this one:
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...726081841a.jpg

except i think im going to try and put it in that small area under the coin holder, the part where you have to put your finger under it to take it out. I'll really need to take a better look at it tomorrow though
Old 08-12-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

Anyone want to make me one? $$$$
Old 02-07-2011, 01:28 PM

just did this in about 15 minutes and cost me about 9 dollars, spent more time figuring out where to mount it...awesome write up
Old 02-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Anyone within about an hour drive of Saint Louis who can do this for me? I would pay a fee, of course. I am desperate to have this done, but I am not comfortable doing it myself.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

So I can run my ipod off this then? if this is cool as hell.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAm578
Anyone within about an hour drive of Saint Louis who can do this for me? I would pay a fee, of course. I am desperate to have this done, but I am not comfortable doing it myself.
It is really much easier than you think, I've done a couple myself and it's probably the easiest mod I've done to these cars.

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
So I can run my ipod off this then? if this is cool as hell.
Yep, you just pop a cd into the player and then turn your ipod on and it's good to go. It's never happened, but just to avoid any bleed over from whatever cd I put in I just burned a cd with a blank track on it. Never had an issue.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

Not to rain on any parade, cause i really like the looks of the stock radio, but putting in an aftermarket HU is worth it, usb charging for ipod/cell phone/ect, much much better sound, more options, being able to hook up a sub, newer technology.. I bought mine for the crisper sound, i swear it was like i put in all new speakers nearly no distortion! Good mod for those keeping stock look though, i do like the looks.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TransAm578
i have done for a few via mail. I am in lafayette indiana so shipping shouldnt be bad and i can get it back out next day. all i ask for is you cover the parts and return shipping

PM if interested
Old 02-08-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
Not to rain on any parade, cause i really like the looks of the stock radio, but putting in an aftermarket HU is worth it, usb charging for ipod/cell phone/ect, much much better sound, more options, being able to hook up a sub, newer technology.. I bought mine for the crisper sound, i swear it was like i put in all new speakers nearly no distortion! Good mod for those keeping stock look though, i do like the looks.
I tried the Novak mod and it worked okay; maybe it has something to do with pewter Camaros, but I came to the same conclusion. I'm not an audiophile (mainly listen to talk radio and sports) and I really wanted to keep the stock unit/look but I found out that even a cheap Dual HU with Aux In I bought for $50 sounds WAY better than the stock unit. I never found a neat, convenient place to mount the aux in (I eventually put it in the glove box) although some people mounted it in the center console. I think if the aux in connector from RS was a more solid unit, I would have been happier but sometimes it was hit or miss as far as the switch working. Plus I started getting the "Err" message sometimes when loading the CD. I ended up putting the Dual HU in my Jeep and bought a Kenwood HU with Aux In and USB, mounting harness, and faceplate for around $100 and it was an easy install. Granted, $100 is a lot more than $10, but IMO it was worth it.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Pretty sweet little idea.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you need a CD to be "playing" while using this?
My CD reader is now throwing E20 for a month now and If I could avoid having to even touch that that'd be awesome
Old 06-03-2012, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 777Shock777
Do you need a CD to be "playing" while using this?
My CD reader is now throwing E20 for a month now and If I could avoid having to even touch that that'd be awesome
I've got my old TA radio I think in the attic if you wanted it.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Will the cd player still play cd's? How?

And what happens when the cd skips to the next song? Is the ipod interrupted?
Old 06-07-2012, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dabest09
Will the cd player still play cd's? How?

And what happens when the cd skips to the next song? Is the ipod interrupted?
This isn't my thread, but I used it to mod mine about a year ago and couldn't be happier with it so I guess I'll answer:

The cd player will still play cd's whenever your ipod/mp3 cable is NOT plugged into the jack. The cable being plugged in interrupts the signal from the CD player to the speakers (if I understand it correctly.)

I can't tell anything when my cd skips to the next song. I don't get any feedback from the cd either...though I hear some do. Alot of people burn a blank cd to play to avoid this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just did the "Novak Jack" (aux input for ipod into stock HU) PICS!