Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

TA fog light upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default TA fog light upgrade

I am not sure exactly where local tradition would put this, so feel free to move it. But hey, lights are electrical...
It's pretty much universally accepted that the TA headlights are less than ideal. I noticed that I had a fog burned out, and that the lens were in bad shape after 160,000 miles of road rash. So... a chance to repair is a chance to upgrade, right?

I ordered a pair of Hella Optilux 2500 Angel Eye lights from (pick your favorite vendor...). I couldn't care less about the LED ring, but they're about the right size, and with 55W H3 bulbs they ought to be bright enough to eliminate the need to ever turn on my air brakes - I mean popup headlights. The kit comes with a wiring harness, including a toggle that will let you turn on either the halo light or the driving light. I tossed the harness and switch into the spare parts box. All you need from the kit is the lights and the brackets.

We started by removing the factory fogs and spending some time examing the brackets to figure out how to modify them. Turns out it's pretty simple.

Use a cutoff wheel to remove the "bucket" the factory used to wrap around the light housing. Picture one shows this in progress. If you're a neat freak, you can use a bench grinder to cleaen up the cuts. I did, but left a bit of a rib to add rigidity to the now "L" shaped bracket. Picture two shows the modified bracket next to the original. Note that I shot this before I cleaned it up...

According to Hella, their bracket attaches at the "top" of the light. We don't care. We mounted it upside down. Picture three shows the new light bolted to the modified bracket. Note that Hella kindly included a molded boss in a spot that is perfect for a bolthead. Notice the hole we drilled into the modified bracket. This was done to allow us to run a bolt to give us some up/down adjustment. Picture four shows the assembly from the rear.

Picture five shows the assembled units. Notice that we took the spring off the factory adjuster, stuck it over a bolt and ran the bolt through the modified brackets. Use this to adjust your beams and then put on a jam nut. It won't budge.

Picture six shows the finished product. The lights are well centered in the factory holes and they're MUCH brighter than the fogs. I'll get out after dark and see if they eliminate the need for headlights, but I will not be suprised if they do.

The pictures could be better, but all I had with me was my iPhone.
Attached Thumbnails TA fog light upgrade-tn_lights01.jpg   TA fog light upgrade-tn_lights02.jpg   TA fog light upgrade-tn_lights03.jpg   TA fog light upgrade-tn_lights04.jpg   TA fog light upgrade-tn_lights05.jpg  

TA fog light upgrade-tn_lights06.jpg  

Last edited by Dirty Dog; 09-08-2012 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Picture links no longer worked. Updated them.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good
Old 06-25-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Hahaha! Keep us all posted, this is just what I'm looking for!
Old 06-25-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

IMO you probally should use a relay though I bet they draw alot more then oem fogs
Old 06-26-2009, 01:58 AM
On The Tree

Jusr drove home from the theater. The new lights are plenty bright, but we have them aimed low enough that they were not blinding anybody. They light up in front of the car great, but don't light up the shoulder of the road at all, so headlights are still needed. I hope someone will come up with a non-popup replacement for a reasonable price. That $1000 for the only set I have seen seems a bit steep.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Dirty Dog
Just drove home from the theater. The new lights are plenty bright, but we have them aimed low enough that they were not blinding anybody. They light up in front of the car great, but don't light up the shoulder of the road at all, so headlights are still needed. I hope someone will come up with a non-popup replacement for a reasonable price. That $1000 for the only set I have seen seems a bit steep.
That's sounds really good! I think since the fog lights are recessed quite a bit it blocks most of the side lighting. Reading this thread got me looking into installing some of these on my car. I'm not feeling the LED ring thing, so I've been looking for some 4" lights. I've found three decent ones. Your Hella Optix lights and the two below.

Street Scene Driving Lights

Westin Driving Lights

They are all 55W H3 bulb lights. The only difference I see, other then the LED ring, is the Hella lights have steel housings and the other two have plastic housings. I gotta figure out which ones to get!

One thing is for sure though, any of these housings with some HIDs would be so bad *** it wouldn't even be funny!
Old 06-26-2009, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

I just clipped the wires off the silly LED ring. I wanted the metal housing, since I just think it's stronger, and because the Hella lights have the boss cast in that we used to fab an adjuster.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How hard will it be to change the lights out once they blow?
Old 06-26-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

Default Hella 90's

My Hella 90's produce more usable light than my high and low halogen sealed beam conversions with H7 bulbs together. You don't even realize the head lights aren't on.
Ed
They cost about 140.00 or something like that.

They are very wide but they have the shield in them that prevents them from blinding oncoming traffic. See the last picture.
Attached Thumbnails TA fog light upgrade-conveyor-surround-2.jpg   TA fog light upgrade-dsc01482.jpg   TA fog light upgrade-light-mount.jpg   TA fog light upgrade-hella-pattern2.jpg  
Old 06-26-2009, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 4WOFURY
How hard will it be to change the lights out once they blow?
Well, I had never been able to change the factory bulbs in the car either. I have always had to pull the bracket out, so this will be the same. Couple more things to unscrew, but still no big deal.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Good work.

I've added this to the Lighting FAQ:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...hting-faq.html
Old 07-19-2010, 03:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do the Halos on these fogs light up pretty good in the day time, and did you have to take off the bumper to do the install?

Last edited by Snake_Skinner; 07-19-2010 at 05:08 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
Do the Halos on these fogs light up pretty good in the day time, and did you have to take off the bumper to do the install?
You should be able to install the new foglights without removing the bumper. I didn't have to remove mine and I installed larger lights.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have these same fogs on my car, and although they are bright, the burnt out pretty quick for me.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xXxSilveradoxXx
You should be able to install the new foglights without removing the bumper. I didn't have to remove mine and I installed larger lights.
so you didnt install these particular fogs then? And did you just splice into original wiring?

Originally Posted by TireSm0ke
I have these same fogs on my car, and although they are bright, the burnt out pretty quick for me.
Did you have to take off bumper? Is it possible to just change bulb in these fogs when they burn out and how hard is it?

Thx...
Old 07-20-2010, 03:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No, you have to remove them, but with a little bit of practice you can remove them without pulling off the bumper.

They sit right up against the styrofoam on the bumper support, so there is no way to get in there from behind.

For a while when my headlight motor went out, I used these instead of headlights. I flattened down the sides of the bracket and bent tabs that could fit the new foglight. I played with the bends and had the lights facing a little more towards the right and left than the center. It worked nicely but I got tired of them constantly burning out - make sure you use a relay.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
I didn't bother with the halos (because I think they look ricer), and no, there was no need to remove the bumper.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

After two years I think he probably figured that out.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
After two years I think he probably figured that out.
Maybe. But I had a PM in my box about this, and specifically asking about the non-functioning pictures, so I updated the links.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Dirt Dog, is it possible to put some type of HID bulb in these? I have HIDs in my low and wanted a glass foglight that could take a HID bulb or a compatible bulb. I presently have DDMtuning fog kit 35w with 880 6000k that melted the middle of my plastic fog light lens. (02 T/A).

Quick Reply: TA fog light upgrade