Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How do I make my fog lights able to stay on with brights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 06:29 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How do I make my fog lights able to stay on with brights?

As the title says. I had a friend who was able to do this with his old 98 camaro and I was wondering how to wire/ re-wire to be able to do this to my T/A. TIA for any help guys
Old 07-20-2005, 07:25 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

It's pretty easy to do on a Firebird. The circuit is designed so that the fog light relay trigger coil grounds through the highbeam circuit. When the highbeams are on there is 12V+ on both sides of the relay coil so that it doesn't engage (the fog lights go off). Find the fog light relay under the hood in junction box #1 along the inside of the left fender. The relay will have four wires - brown, yellow, purple and light green. Cut the light green wire and run the relay side to ground. Tape up the other side to prevent shorting. Now the relay has ground regardless of whether the highbeams are on so they will work normally but also stay on when using the highbeams.

I won't mention that this is illegal in most states (I don't know about Canada) because they don't allow more than four lights illuminated.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do you do it on a 1996 camaro
Old 07-21-2005, 07:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

It's basically the same on the Camaro except that the fog light switch is wired differently. The ON indicator light in the switch on the Camaro is also wired to ground through the headlight circuit so it goes out when the high beams are on. Using the same instructions as above for the Firebird will allow the fog lights to stay on with the high beams but the ON indicator won't show that they are still on when you use the high beams.

To fix this you will have to pull out the fog light switch. You will find five wires on the switch connector - brown, light green, gray, yellow, and black. Cut the light green wire and connect the switch side to a ground in the dash somewhere. Tape up the other side to prevent shorts. Now the indicator light will work even when the high beams are on.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:53 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
It's pretty easy to do on a Firebird. The circuit is designed so that the fog light relay trigger coil grounds through the highbeam circuit. When the highbeams are on there is 12V+ on both sides of the relay coil so that it doesn't engage (the fog lights go off). Find the fog light relay under the hood in junction box #1 along the inside of the left fender. The relay will have four wires - brown, yellow, purple and light green. Cut the light green wire and run the relay side to ground. Tape up the other side to prevent shorting. Now the relay has ground regardless of whether the highbeams are on so they will work normally but also stay on when using the highbeams.

I won't mention that this is illegal in most states (I don't know about Canada) because they don't allow more than four lights illuminated.
Cool. Thanks man!
Old 07-28-2005, 05:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good info man
Old 07-30-2005, 03:14 AM
Teching In

what about explicit instructions for a 00 SS? I'm terrified to hurt my baby ( named either Susie or Sessy... cant decide on a name, any suggestions? ) so i dont want to second guess what im supposed to do. just did the hi-low mod tonight, so they can both work at same time now
Old 07-30-2005, 09:32 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The instructions I posted (posts #2 and #4) are the same for your 2000 SS.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:46 PM
Teching In

thanks
Old 08-01-2005, 05:40 AM
Teching In

all said and done and its awesome
Old 08-05-2005, 05:00 PM
kid
Teching In

it did not work for me i cut the green wire an nothing happend help please
Old 08-08-2005, 07:07 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Just cutting the green wire won't do anything except prevent your fog lights from working at all. You have to connect the relay end of the cut wire to ground in the engine compartment (same with the switch end of the cut wire for Camaros).
Old 08-10-2005, 01:54 AM
12 Second Club

i found an easier way check this out
http://members.***.net/zurbo2/fogs_with_brights.htm
Old 08-10-2005, 07:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, that will work - you're basically replacing the relay with a wire and eliminating all control of the lights with the switch. It also doesn't solve the indicator on the switch not working when the high beams are on (in fact, the lights will be on even if the switch is off).

Your choice, but I always try to make mods that change the factory function as little as possible. Putting the cut wires back together is not difficult should you want to restore the factory configuration later.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00

excuse my ignorance; but wich side of the cut light green wire is the relay side that i have to ground?
once i cut the wire im assuming that the length of wire coming off the relay has to be grounded and the length coming from the firewall has to be taped.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:51 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

When you look under the junction box and find the four wires for the fog light relay, you will be cutting the light green wire. One end of the cut wire will still be connected to the relay in the junction box and the other end will go into the wiring harness to the car. The end that is still connected to the relay is the one you want to connect to ground. You will probably have to add some wire to it in order to reach a good spot to ground it. The other end (that goes into the harness) will still be live when the highbeams are on so you have to tape it up to prevent shorts.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

i did this mod today and it worked great! thank you whitebird!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QWIK Z of OP
i did this mod today and it worked great! thank you whitebird!
at 3 years since this thread had been bumped, I had actually forgotten totally about this mod, time to do it again to my newest F-body.
The following users liked this post:
stanggreg90 (07-08-2021)
Old 02-03-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

you can thank me later for bumping it up! lol
Old 02-03-2009, 05:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ryant00ss
what about explicit instructions for a 00 SS? I'm terrified to hurt my baby ( named either Susie or Sessy... cant decide on a name, any suggestions? ) so i dont want to second guess what im supposed to do. just did the hi-low mod tonight, so they can both work at same time now
off the topic, but name'r susie. susie sounds better

Quick Reply: How do I make my fog lights able to stay on with brights?