Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Factory monsoon display not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory monsoon display not working

My factory monsoon stereo no longer displays anything. (LED burnt out or disconnected or something?)

The stereo works fine other than that. Any obvious fix, or just a replacement is in order? Any recommendations for where to find one cheap?
Old 03-28-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine did that too about a year ago. im not really sure if you can replace the LEDs or not. the guy at the dealership told me i had to buy a new one and it would be like 400 bucks. so i just went and got an aftermarket one with a humount faceplate and couldnt be more happy.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Check in the FAQ section, I think there's a guide on replacing the stereo bulbs, it may include the LED for the unit, as well. That'd more than likely be my guess. Do the number backlights work still?
Old 03-28-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Of course, the dealer told you you had to buy a new unit. lol

I've read thread on here that talk about the display solder connoction not being up to snuff. If you're familiar with using a soldering iron, you can re-flow the connections. This may fix your problem. If it doesn't work, you're only out some time and effort.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Yea, nothing shows up at all, night or day. Hmm, now i need a free weekend and to figure out how to pull the stereo out.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe you just have to pull-out the trim peice that goes around that console area. That should give you access to the 4 screws holding the head unit in place.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:51 AM
Teching In

Funny you mentioned this. Just repaired my 'solder' connection yesterday. Just a simple incandescent bulb is soldered behind the lcd display. The bulb gets so darn hot that the solder joint stresses. You can tell if this is your likely problem by shining a flashlight at the display. You will be able to read the clock, or radio station, or track info (what ever the stereo is currently doing). It will be weak, but the info will be on there.

BTW - if the bulb is out, don't go back with a led type..... you lose the ability to dim the display without some serious electronic work.

Good luck!!!
Old 03-30-2006, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Sweet info! Hopefully I can pull the plastic trim piece out without breaking things and check the connection. I hate yanking plastic trim out without knowing whats holding it into place. Damn plastic!
Old 03-30-2006, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Hey, I pulled that sucker out, took the faceplate off, and soldered it a bit more, and now it works! THANKS!
Old 03-30-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Kewl.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:20 AM
Teching In

Unhappy Need Help With Dead Stereo

Hey everybody!
I'm new to the board and I need help with my Monsoon system.
My stereo was working fine, but the display bulb had gone out. I purchase a new one for it. When I started to repair it, I did not think to disconnect the battery, however the ignition switch was off. Pulled unit out, opened it up, replaced the bulb, plugged it back up. Now I have nothing, no sound, no Theftloc flashing, no response from any button combination. It only displays a clock. Nothing happens when I press power. I even tried turning the ignition on for an hour hoping it was in inop mode. Nothing! Please help!
I'm glad I found this board, there's a lot of great info here!!

So sorry, I forgot to tell you this is in a 98' TA
Old 07-13-2007, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

You probably should start a new thread instead of bumping a year old one.

Check your fuse.

Quick Reply: Factory monsoon display not working