Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Homemade splice vs $80 GM9-AUX

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Homemade splice vs $80 GM9-AUX

Good morning all,

I'm looking at the C2 connector pinout in Whitebird's Monsoon sticky and wondering just exactly what the $80.00 PIE MP3 adapter does...???

Unless the stated "unused" pins 7,8 and 15 have a function, then that only leaves Right,Left, and Power pins to work with.

Why spend $80 when I can just splice into those lines myself? I can even add a toggle switch on the power line (which I don't see the GM9-AUX doing) to defeat the 12disc CD changer, so that I can keep it loaded with CDs and still run audio spliced into R,L,rtn pins 10, 11, 12 from my MP3 player.

Am I wrong?
ps I checked, my HU has a 2002 manufacture date on it.
Thanks
Old 06-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Unfortunately, the head unit doesn't activate that port unless it detects a factory CD changer connected to it. Adapters like the GM9-AUX have circuitry built in that simulates the changer so that the port will work.

If you have a factory changer then you should look at a thread by Jason Novak detailing how to splice into the head unit for an auxiliary input: https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/688297-how-you-can-add-aux-input-mp3-player-without-adapter.html. If you don't have a changer, you're out of luck unless you buy an adapter (or design one yourself).
Old 07-01-2008, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

Thanks WhiteBird and Jason.
That was a great idea Jason to use a switching jack to switch between the CD changer and MP3 input. I didn't think of that!!

So, I did mine, and it's GREAT! No bleed over from the CDs that others have complained about. Just good clean MP3 output...or CD output when jack is pulled out.

Here fwiw are some tips:

To the Radio Shack switch jack, mounted in the ashtray, I used 2 pair shielded audio cable. After measuring approx length back up to the back of the radio, I took the jack and cables inside to solder..much easier at the kitchen table :-)

When I connected to the green/white & brown/white cables on C2 (going to the CD changer), I used plastic cable splice connectors, to avoid the messy soldering and electrical tape.

I don't smoke, so the ashtray was the perfect clean, accessible, place to mount the jack without compromising the dash appearance.

Be sure to take Jason's Radio Shack part number to the store. Without it the guys had no idea what I was talking about. The part was buried in a drawer, not on display.

So here's what it looks like:

And with a one foot cable, long enough to hold the player without excessive cable:

Thanks again guys, I should have done this many road trips ago!
Old 08-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Default CD Changer MP3 Input

Thanks to WhiteBird and Jason's hard work, great information.

I used some of Paul's tips and it worked out great. It sounds fine until i start the car, then i get engine noise feeding back into my sound. I know when i play a CD the sound level is much higher than when i switch to the MP3 input. I end up having to turn the volume all the way up on my MP3 player and still have to turn the stereo volume up also.

Tried a ground loop isolator with no luck.

Has anyone experienced this and have a solution?

Quick Reply: Homemade splice vs $80 GM9-AUX