LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

valve cover breather

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve cover breather

does this really help anything or prolong the life of the engine? thinking of doing it but not sure
Old 04-13-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

PCV is a closed system. if you are adding a breather to the passenger side valve cover, the system no longer becomes closed. You are allowing unmetered air to now enter your car. Whether or not you may see effects from it, might depend on the car. MY IAC counts were all messed up, I was getting random surging at idle with my breather. Put the factory fresh air hose back on, and all problems solved
Old 04-13-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

I think Buffman is right on. With that said I had no choice but to put a breather on until I can get a seperator.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

it helps if you get blow by, when i would get on it oil would shoot throught the pvc & make it through to the throttle body & oil would sometimes spray out throught the dip stick tube.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I put a little breather on the Valve Cover, and plugged up the connection on the Throttle Body. All of the Intake past the MAF Sensor had to be closed off, so it doesn't mess up the IAC. Smooth idle at 650rpm.
Attached Thumbnails valve cover breather-ce3.jpg  
Old 04-13-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Resident

so all in all not really worth the $42 thunder is asking for. I wont experience anything good from having it. maybe just neutral outcomes?
Old 04-13-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

what breather is $42? is it the one that fits in the oil filler hole??? A K&N that will fit in the grommet for the fresh air hose is only $20.00
Old 04-13-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would anyone want to do this? The only place I know of that would benefit from internal pressure relief is below the pistons. Is there something I'm missing unique to the LT1?
Old 04-13-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Keeps the Throttle Body clean. A lot of Forced Induction guys (maybe true no matter the engine) run a disabled PCV system, same with some guys who run a lot of nitrous. I'm assuming the increased cylinder pressure makes its way past the rings and builds up in the crankcase??? I know my friends 383 LT1 (running some big 200 shot) kept blowing his dipstick outta it's tube, and shooting oil all over the place. Added breathers, "disabled" the PCV (I'd have to ask him how he did it) and took care of his problem
Old 04-13-2006, 10:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I spent $18 and did it myself. The line that comes into the Throttle Body blew oil all over inside it and the Intake Manifold. That's just what it does. When I had it off, I cleaned out the Intake, and the TB. Then I plugged the one part on the TB. Havent had any problems at all.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:16 AM
TECH Addict

actually the fresh air hose sucks air into the TB and also removes air from the TB the best thing I did was install a little $4.00 "breather" that connects to the hose and it's a seperator.. Keeps my TB nice and clean

here's what my TB looked like after about 8 months from running the seperator. i was switching TB plates so I figured lets take a pic of how clean it is

here's a pic of the breather. (passengerside valvecover) Looks pretty OEM to me... I can get you guys the part # if interested. I dind't have to trim my hose at all. Fits right on there

Old 04-14-2006, 02:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by the_merv
I spent $18 and did it myself. The line that comes into the Throttle Body blew oil all over inside it and the Intake Manifold. That's just what it does. When I had it off, I cleaned out the Intake, and the TB. Then I plugged the one part on the TB. Havent had any problems at all.
same thing here dint like how it made the intake maifold so dirty and was getting oil all over my valve covers
Old 04-14-2006, 03:04 AM
TECH Addict

If it's a seperator where is the oil going or does it just filter it out? If so I dont see that lasting, the filter that is. I like these kits http://www.steeda.com/store/images/e...5-3710-450.jpg so Ill be able to trak how much oil is been caught.

Originally Posted by buffman
actually the fresh air hose sucks air into the TB and also removes air from the TB the best thing I did was install a little $4.00 "breather" that connects to the hose and it's a seperator.. Keeps my TB nice and clean

here's what my TB looked like after about 8 months from running the seperator. i was switching TB plates so I figured lets take a pic of how clean it is

here's a pic of the breather. (passengerside valvecover) Looks pretty OEM to me... I can get you guys the part # if interested. I dind't have to trim my hose at all. Fits right on there

Old 04-14-2006, 08:35 AM
12 Second Club

Pardon my ignorance, but it seems like the valve cover breather is a good thing to have then, right?

I remember swapping out my old TB and that things was filthy black. Dirty as heck. Will it also keep the inside of the intake clean?
Old 04-14-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
If it's a seperator where is the oil going or does it just filter it out? If so I dont see that lasting, the filter that is. I like these kits http://www.steeda.com/store/images/e...5-3710-450.jpg so Ill be able to trak how much oil is been caught.

I'm assuming it just allows it to drain back into the valve cover..

My friend ran one of those things you showed in a picture on his fresh air hose, and he (healthy engine too) had filled the thing up in no time
Old 04-14-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by scrmnws6
Pardon my ignorance, but it seems like the valve cover breather is a good thing to have then, right?

I remember swapping out my old TB and that things was filthy black. Dirty as heck. Will it also keep the inside of the intake clean?

well if your engine can compensate for the unmetered air coming into the engine in from the breather I don't see a harm
Old 04-14-2006, 11:11 AM
12 Second Club

how would it compensate for the unmeter air?

The reason for all of these questions is that I bought a set of head covers and they have a hole for the breather. Now after reading this I do no know whether to install them or not.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:26 AM
11 Second Club

I welded an AN fitting to the passenger side valve cover and ran a hose down to the inlet of the supercharger - this helped with oil leaks and blowby.

But, this is a boosted application.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

yea im still not sure if it is good or not.

the air is unmetered
oil will get all in the filter
and it might not get recirculated back into the engine.

just not sure i guess. the $42 i saw was a direct replacement from thunderracing.com, if i did go about it where did you find that oem looking one buffman?
Old 04-14-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

should be able to find it at any autostore..

http://collop.cz28.com/custom2.html

Quick Reply: valve cover breather